The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

KCL or UCL???

Hello there.

I just got a conditional offer from UCL, and I received one from KCL a while back, and now I need to choose one. Given that I never imagined that both would give me offers, I need some help with this decision. I'd like to hear your thoughts, pros and cons, etc.

My situation:
-international student: Canadian - graduating in June with OSSD (Ontario)
-will be studying law
-love to be involved in extracurriculars - mooting, debate, student union, and Amnesty etc.
-it would be nice if I could curl! (though I haven't been able to find any curling clubs in london)
-I would like to pursue (try my luck at) the Law with American Law joint degree program with Columbia University. Both universities offer this, but does anyone know if one is more competitive than the other, in terms of applicants per spot?

So what do you people think? UCL or KCL?

Thanks for your thoughts:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Lolz.

UCL Law >>>>>>>>>>>>>> KCL Law

No brainer right here
(edited 12 years ago)
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
In terms of the Columbia program: the course fees are astronomically high, and you'll be expected to be able to finance it yourself. It's literally the top one or two students that are selected to go (at King's, certainly).

Both are top notch universities. The legal programs at both are held in excellent repute. King's has recently acquired a wing of Somerset House, which will make for a nice law department. In terms of which you should go for, it's going to - primarily - be a matter of personal preference.

UCL is the 'better' university, if you're going on the (very subjective) UK or World rankings.
Reply 3
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
Lolz.

A well considered point. Very helpful.
Original post by zjs
A well considered point. Very helpful.

Lettuce be realtors, it's a no brainer, hence I need not elaborate.

UCL Law. Or Strand Polytechnic Law. Easy choice.
Reply 5

Idiotic attempts at university rivalry aside, it's hardly like the difference between the two universities is as vast as you're making out.

Both are excellent, though UCL is (inarguably) held in better repute, and is considered by most to be the better of the two. However, the difference between the two is nowhere near as momentous as you make out, and a matter of preference, based on the teaching style of both courses at both universities, is a much better way of gauging which uni would be better for the OP.
Reply 6
Original post by Junaid96
UCL is the better university by a mile - it's 7th in the World in the current QS rankings. The UK university rankings go pretty much like this:
Oxbridge
LSE, UCL, Imperial (within their fields, although UCL is an all-rounder)
Warwick/Durham/St Andrews

Then you hit what I hate to call the second-rate universities, but that is the correct word :smile: I suppose more like 'Awesome but not the regular table-toppers:
Bristol, York, KCL, Southampton etc.

Pointless, and entirely arbitrary, 'these universities come after Oxbridge and UCL/Imperial/LSE' discussions are not helpful. The three universities you've chosen could be any three top notch universities.
Reply 7
So obviously UCL has the reputation and prestige. Is KCL that far behind in that respect. From an international viewpoint, both are highly acclaimed.

Original post by zjs
In terms of the Columbia program: the course fees are astronomically high, and you'll be expected to be able to finance it yourself. It's literally the top one or two students that are selected to go (at King's, certainly).

For the Law with American Law program I was under the impression that at both universities the student would continue to pay regular Law fees to the home school (UCL/KCL) rather than Columbia. Not much information was available online, but the mirror program offered at Columbia has students pay local (US) fees and only for three years rather than four, so that tuition would be the same without the joint degree, only student fees, books, and living costs would increase.
Reply 8
Original post by sumergocogito
For the Law with American Law program I was under the impression that at both universities the student would continue to pay regular Law fees to the home school (UCL/KCL) rather than Columbia. Not much information was available online, but the mirror program offered at Columbia has students pay local (US) fees and only for three years rather than four, so that tuition would be the same without the joint degree, only student fees, books, and living costs would increase.

Found the email. To quote some relevant points:

"Standard tuition fees are payable for the Columbia part of the programme at the current rate set by Columbia ... Information on current tuition fees and estimated living expenses is available on Columbia's website." (The fees are probably less astronomical for you, given that you'd be paying UK fees as an overseas student)

"Two places are available for King's students to attend Columbia for the academic session starting in XXXX"
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9

so you're saying law at kings would not be good?
:s-smilie:
I go to King's and I think the Law dept is amazing. Obviously I'm biased but in defence of my uni:

1) Somerset House is gorgeous. Google it for a picture, as I don't know how to embed pictures. But it used to be a royal palace! Does UCL have that? no. A couple of weeks ago we had London Fashion Week going on there, it really is the hip place to be.

2) Law dept = very good. This week we had Advocate General Jacobs lecture us. You might not have heard of him, but he comes up in European law and I've had to read lots of his opinions in cases for my tutorial. And the professors/tutors are very good. Some of them used to work at Cambridge, it's quite cool.

3) Maughan library is gorgeous. They filmed Dumbledore's office there!

4) Someone above said UCL could attract good speakers, but so does King's. Like last year I went to a lecture by Noam Chomsky, he was mentioned so many times when I was doing my English A-Level.

5) The Royal Family love us.... the Queen came to visit a few weeks ago.

6) King's offers a program where you can study at partner universities in Europe for a year. You apply once you're in the course. There are the likes of France, Italy, Spain, Belgium, the Netherlands etc!

6) loads and loads of extra-curriculars. I can't be bothered to go into them right now, but I have got involved in lots of law and non-law related activities. Whatever you're interested in, KCLSU have it.. like there is even a ukuele society?!
Original post by bittersweet16
I go to King's and I think the Law dept is amazing. Obviously I'm biased but in defence of my uni:

1) Somerset House is gorgeous. Google it for a picture, as I don't know how to embed pictures. But it used to be a royal palace! Does UCL have that? no. A couple of weeks ago we had London Fashion Week going on there, it really is the hip place to be.

First point is about the architecture. Hmmmm.

2) Law dept = very good. This week we had Advocate General Jacobs lecture us. You might not have heard of him, but he comes up in European law and I've had to read lots of his opinions in cases for my tutorial. And the professors/tutors are very good. Some of them used to work at Cambridge, it's quite cool.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/laws/news/index.shtml
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/laws/academics/

mirin? Also, the first couple of people I clicked on had previously taught at King's...seems like their quality took them higher places

3) Maughan library is gorgeous. They filmed Dumbledore's office there!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filming_at_UCL

/argument

4) Someone above said UCL could attract good speakers, but so does King's. Like last year I went to a lecture by Noam Chomsky, he was mentioned so many times when I was doing my English A-Level.

Noam Chomsky used to be a visiting lecturer at UCL....lolz (don't know if he still is)

5) The Royal Family love us.... the Queen came to visit a few weeks ago.

Scraping the barrel here...the Queen visits all sort of places

6) King's offers a program where you can study at partner universities in Europe for a year. You apply once you're in the course. There are the likes of France, Italy, Spain, Belgium, the Netherlands etc!

That's the same with every university that has a Erasmus scheme, nothing special or unique here

6) loads and loads of extra-curriculars. I can't be bothered to go into them right now, but I have got involved in lots of law and non-law related activities. Whatever you're interested in, KCLSU have it.. like there is even a ukuele society?!

Not only does UCL probably have a greater variety of extra-curriculars due to its size and global reach, it's also right next to ULU (with all of its own societies and events) and SOAS/Birkbeck
Original post by zjs
Pointless, and entirely arbitrary, 'these universities come after Oxbridge and UCL/Imperial/LSE' discussions are not helpful. The three universities you've chosen could be any three top notch universities.

I'd have to disagree with you.. Warwick, Durham and St Andrews are all top ten universities, so I don't see why it's 'unhelpful' to place them behind the tier of UCL, LSE and Imperial. Not many people would place Nottingham or Manchester directly behind UCL, but many would place Warwick or Durham in that postiton. If Someone is to name the 6th best university in the country, more often than not, one of those three will be mentioned.

UCL is the better university by a mile - it's 7th in the World in the current QS rankings. The UK university rankings go pretty much like this:
Oxbridge

Then you hit what I hate to call the second-rate universities, but that is the correct word :smile: I suppose more like 'Awesome but not the regular table-toppers:

UCL > KCL. No discussion to be had :biggrin:

Both will have exactly the same extra-curriculars (Although UCL will win in terms of the people it can invite to debates and other events). Both will have the same student life (what with them both being in London). As far as competitiveness is concerned, that's largely irrelevant. Oxbridge can be less competitive than other universities in terms of raw figures - that doesn't mean it's easier to get into! Regardless of the merits of the law departments at each of the universities, UCL is the clear winner - it's reputation alone far outweighs anything KCL has to offer.

Edit: Just to make it absolutely 100% clear, UCL >KCL

Your username indicates that you were born in 96? LOLZ. UCL is probably not the 7th best university in the world, why take one ranking as gospel? UCL is the overall stronger university, but the difference is not as large as you're assuming especially for Law.

Original post by Pride
so you're saying law at kings would not be good?
:s-smilie:

King's is excellent for law.

Lolz.

No brainer right here

I'm guessing you're trying to get under the skins of King's fanboys lol.. For Law, the difference between King's and UCL isn't as big as the difference between their overall rep..
Original post by cl_steele
UCL its better in every regard ... better student satisfaction, better curriculum, more choice, better location, more students to meet, higher in the league tables and importantly the accomodation for UCL is excellent, unlike KCL which tbh is ****...
may i ask what curling is ?:rolleyes:

half of those reasons are **** seriously. How do you know if the law curriculum is better? or if there is more choice? King's is hardly in the east end either.
Reply 14
Original post by Tsunami2011
half of those reasons are **** seriously. How do you know if the law curriculum is better? or if there is more choice? King's is hardly in the east end either.

because i can look at whats on it you dolt?
go on their website and compare, go on do it. although that being said as theyre UoL it doesnt make such a difference.
i didnt say it was in the east end did i? besides not all of the east end is bad... besides i meant relative to UCL.
because i can look at whats on it you dolt?
go on their website and compare, go on do it. although that being said as theyre UoL it doesnt make such a difference.
i didnt say it was in the east end did i? besides not all of the east end is bad... besides i meant relative to UCL.

You didn't even apply for law, so I'm not sure how you're able to give an informed enough assessment of the King's and UCL course to deem which is better suited to the OP. Think you missed my point. The East End is typically seen as rough, hence QMUL being seen as less attractive than other london universities. King's is in a perfectly good area, take that from a londoner.
Reply 16
Original post by Tsunami2011
You didn't even apply for law, so I'm not sure how you're able to give an informed enough assessment of the King's and UCL course to deem which is better suited to the OP. Think you missed my point. The East End is typically seen as rough, hence QMUL being seen as less attractive than other london universities. King's is in a perfectly good area, take that from a londoner.

how do you know what i applied for ...? regardless i nearly applied for law and i have several friends who've applied for law, no harm in giving my 2 cents. plus one need only look at the rankings to gauge an informed opinion about it.
i'll grant you that although the QMUL campus is rather nice despite its ****ty location.
i didnt say it wasnt in a good area, just from personal opinion id prefer bloomsbury to the strand.
Reply 17
Definitely UCL, although Kings is by no means a bad university!
how do you know what i applied for ...? regardless i nearly applied for law and i have several friends who've applied for law, no harm in giving my 2 cents. plus one need only look at the rankings to gauge an informed opinion about it.
i'll grant you that although the QMUL campus is rather nice despite its ****ty location.
i didnt say it wasnt in a good area, just from personal opinion id prefer bloomsbury to the strand.

You just completely ruined your argument.
Oxbridge

UCL > KCL. No discussion to be had :biggrin:

Both will have exactly the same extra-curriculars (Although UCL will win in terms of the people it can invite to debates and other events). Both will have the same student life (what with them both being in London). As far as competitiveness is concerned, that's largely irrelevant. Oxbridge can be less competitive than other universities in terms of raw figures - that doesn't mean it's easier to get into! Regardless of the merits of the law departments at each of the universities, UCL is the clear winner - it's reputation alone far outweighs anything KCL has to offer.

Edit: Just to make it absolutely 100% clear, UCL >KCL

Warwick, Durham and St Andrews are targeted no more heavily than Bristol and KCL. I don't know why Imperial's relevant. Couldn't say about York and Soton. Your placement of those three universities on that pedestal is arbitrary.

Original post by sumergocogito
Hello there.

I just got a conditional offer from UCL, and I received one from KCL a while back, and now I need to choose one. Given that I never imagined that both would give me offers, I need some help with this decision. I'd like to hear your thoughts, pros and cons, etc.

My situation:
-international student: Canadian - graduating in June with OSSD (Ontario)
-will be studying law
-love to be involved in extracurriculars - mooting, debate, student union, and Amnesty etc.
-it would be nice if I could curl! (though I haven't been able to find any curling clubs in london)
-I would like to pursue (try my luck at) the Law with American Law joint degree program with Columbia University. Both universities offer this, but does anyone know if one is more competitive than the other, in terms of applicants per spot?

So what do you people think? UCL or KCL?

Thanks for your thoughts:smile:

UCL possesses the more prestigious law school. I know that the UCL LLB/JD programme is highly competitive - the top two students in any given year will be eligible. From what Zjs says it is much the same situation at King's. However, the top students at UCL may, possibly, be more competitive candidates than those at King's. That sort of thing is impossible to predict, however.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest