The Student Room Group

Mini one or cooper convertible (:

Hi,

Can someone help? What's the difference? The cooper is approximately 500 ish more insurance a year. But they seem to look exactly the same?!?!

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Typically the mini one was the basic level mini and the cooper had the extras with the cooper S having the suped up engine. I believe the mini one used to have the same 1.6 lt engine as the cooper but after the facelift it became a 1.4? (maybe someone can back me up on this). But basically the one is the standard basic version, still pretty nice though tbh.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sadsnail
Hi,

Can someone help? What's the difference? The cooper is approximately 500 ish more insurance a year. But they seem to look exactly the same?!?!

:smile:

They basically are, the difference is under the bonnet. The Cooper is a bit more powerful, a bit quicker etc. Also, I think it tends to come with more stuff as standard. Obviously then, the Cooper also costs a bit more.

I'd be pretty jealous if you were getting either! Having said that, new Minis are a bit girly :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by FrogInABog
They basically are, the difference is under the bonnet. The Cooper is a bit more powerful, a bit quicker etc. Also, I think it tends to come with more stuff as standard. Obviously then, the Cooper also costs a bit more.

I'd be pretty jealous if you were getting either! Having said that, new Minis are a bit girly :tongue:

Haha, I am swayed towards cooper but just couldn't really see the difference. Although, looking at them the interior of the one is much more basic compared to coopers.

Also, white black or grey? My car at the moment is black and gets dirty really quick so don't really want a black one -_-
Haha, I am swayed towards cooper but just couldn't really see the difference. Although, looking at them the interior of the one is much more basic compared to coopers.

Also, white black or grey? My car at the moment is black and gets dirty really quick so don't really want a black one -_-

Pretty sure mud would show up well on white! I'd go for black, personally. Grey would just remind me of offices and estate agents, and white would be too hard to keep clean.

But that's just me, plus I'm a guy so we probably have different opinions on that one...

Cream minis look cool.
DO NOT get a convertible! It is near impossible to see out the rear when your reversing.

I wouldn't get either tbh, minis are like tin cans in car accidents.
Original post by NYprincessmaddie
DO NOT get a convertible! It is near impossible to see out the rear when your reversing.

I wouldn't get either tbh, minis are like tin cans in car accidents.

Don't talk rubbish mini coopers are 5 star euro ncap!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
get the Mini one
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
Don't talk rubbish mini coopers are 5 star euro ncap!

Can only talk from my experience. I know someone who crashed into a tiny bit of metal in a field at about 20mph an hour (skidded on ice) and it caused her car to be a CAT C write off.

Not to mention there is not a single BMW component in them. They are Chrysler engines
Reply 10
Can only talk from my experience. I know someone who crashed into a tiny bit of metal in a field at about 20mph an hour (skidded on ice) and it caused her car to be a CAT C write off.

Not to mention there is not a single BMW component in them. They are Chrysler engines

That just means that someone was a retard, not that you can't see out the back. Plusss, I want parking sensors anyway.
That just means that someone was a retard, not that you can't see out the back. Plusss, I want parking sensors anyway.

Please. Keep off the roads of London and Liverpool when im there. Thank you.
Where do you live? If you live in the UK, how many times do you think you will (realistically) use a convertible as a convertible in a year? I had my convertible 18 months, and drove around with the top down twice. Could of saved myself a fair chunk if I brought a standard mini and given the time again, i would of brought a standard mini. Coopers are better than ones though- is there no non convertible Coopers?
Reply 13
Original post by ilovehobnobs
Where do you live? If you live in the UK, how many times do you think you will (realistically) use a convertible as a convertible in a year? I had my convertible 18 months, and drove around with the top down twice. Could of saved myself a fair chunk if I brought a standard mini and given the time again, i would of brought a standard mini. Coopers are better than ones though- is there no non convertible Coopers?

It's true I wouldn't use it that often as a convertible, I just want one and they don't cost much more really! And there is non-convertible coopers - I will have a look now :P
It's true I wouldn't use it that often as a convertible, I just want one and they don't cost much more really! And there is non-convertible coopers - I will have a look now :P

I *THINK* new there is 2/3 grand difference, not entirely sure- and not entirely sure the difference between second hand if you are getting second hand. Are you buying from a mini dealer??
Reply 15
I *THINK* new there is 2/3 grand difference, not entirely sure- and not entirely sure the difference between second hand if you are getting second hand. Are you buying from a mini dealer??

I am not going to buy new maybe 1/2 years old :smile: I can't deal with how much more expensive buying new is and the initial loss in value makes it just seem so not worth it! I am not sure where to buy from at the moment, I've been looking on auto trader lately but can't find anything that I want! :frown:

Not quite. They used to use the very reliable tritec engines which was a company in brasil co-owned by bmw and chrysler (might I add they won multiple awards for their engines). After the 2006 facelift they changed and now use prince engines produced in the UK.
I am not going to buy new maybe 1/2 years old :smile: I can't deal with how much more expensive buying new is and the initial loss in value makes it just seem so not worth it! I am not sure where to buy from at the moment, I've been looking on auto trader lately but can't find anything that I want! :frown:

Your certainly right there!! I thought they held their value but they don't. And ignore the idiot above who said they are rubbish in crashes- I reversed into a huge 4x4 van thing and there was a tiny dent in the back of my car, and a scratch on his. They are certainly built to last.
(edited 12 years ago)
Your certainly right there!! I thought they held their value but they don't. And ignore the idiot above who said they are rubbish in crashes- I reversed into a huge 4x4 van thing and there was a tiny dent in the back of my car, and a scratch on his. They are certainly built to last.
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
Not quite. They used to use the very reliable tritec engines which was a company in brasil co-owned by bmw and chrysler (might I add they won multiple awards for their engines). After the 2006 facelift they changed and now use prince engines produced in the UK.

I dont know if this was the point NYPrincess was trying to make, but when I got my Mini I was under the assumption it had a BMW engine until my driving instructor told me they weren't.

Quick Reply

Latest