Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Analyst Wardrobe Watch

ReputationRep:
    What do people normally where for dress down Friday?

ReputationRep:
    Non-standard shirt, smart jeans, decent shoes.

ReputationRep:
    Looking to buy a nice watch with my sign on bonus. Would like to spend up to £500, £1000 at a push. Prefer watches with a leather strap rather than metal. Any suggestions of watches/brands?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loafer)
    Jeeeeesus. With hindsight, most of this thread is ****ing cringeworthy.

This subforum is officially dead.

EDIT: Also, I'm looking for a job, holla with any opportunities.
    Are you American and speaking out loud?

If no to either of the above, don't say 'holla'. Though I agree with your point, the thread is quite embarrassing. Would love to show a number of posters their input in, say, ten years time.

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if any could suggest any shoe shops in London which sell Gentleman shoes (think Crockett, Church's style etc..) For around the budget of 200 quid.

I am thinking of the small shops you find where there is only one shop i.e not big franchises, shops like New & Lingwood for example.

I was wondering if people could suggest some hidden gems in London that would suit the type of style of shoes I am looking for, for within my budget.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hackett)
    I was wondering if any could suggest any shoe shops in London which sell Gentleman shoes (think Crockett, Church's style etc..) For around the budget of 200 quid.

I am thinking of the small shops you find where there is only one shop i.e not big franchises, shops like New & Lingwood for example.

I was wondering if people could suggest some hidden gems in London that would suit the type of style of shoes I am looking for, for within my budget.
    more mainstream, so possibly not what your looking for.

but Russell and bromley do excellent shoes, and have a great selection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milch)
    Looking to buy a nice watch with my sign on bonus. Would like to spend up to £500, £1000 at a push. Prefer watches with a leather strap rather than metal. Any suggestions of watches/brands?
    Maybe at £2000, but at £1000, you can't buy much other than an Automatic Dunhill or a TAG Heuer Carrera.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milch)
    **** me, spend it on something better than a watch

ReputationRep:
    MD Wardrobe (coverage banking).

5 suits - each a different style. 2 x Dark Grey, Navy, Light Grey, Pinstripe,

Over 100 shirts and ties, some monogrammed from early pretentious days. These day's pretty much stick to blue, pink and white shirts. All french cuff however.

Most days Brook's Brothers chinos with a polo shirt and occasionally a proper shirt. Perhaps a blazer in case there is a meeting.

MD Wardrobe (hedge fund sales)

All of the above but leave 5 suits, 5 shirts and 5 ties in wardrobe in office. Wear shorts and T shirt to office. Change for meetings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perpetual)
    MD Wardrobe (coverage banking).

5 suits - each a different style. 2 x Dark Grey, Navy, Light Grey, Pinstripe,

Over 100 shirts and ties, some monogrammed from early pretentious days. These day's pretty much stick to blue, pink and white shirts. All french cuff however.

Most days Brook's Brothers chinos with a polo shirt and occasionally a proper shirt. Perhaps a blazer in case there is a meeting.

MD Wardrobe (hedge fund sales)

All of the above but leave 5 suits, 5 shirts and 5 ties in wardrobe in office. Wear shorts and T shirt to office. Change for meetings.
    Enjoying having Sevva opposite?

ReputationRep:
    I hardly ever go there personally, only at the beginning. A couple of bars in LKF and the same in Wan Chai.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perpetual)
    I hardly ever go there personally, only at the beginning. A couple of bars in LKF and the same in Wan Chai.
    The China Bar in LKF? Or there is quite a nice one in hotel LKF called Lilly & Bloom. One of my favourites was the Pawn in Wan Chai.

ReputationRep:
    I used to live next to The Pawn, good for lunch. TCB only useful if you're single and want to pick up on Thursday nights, although its one of the few that takes Union cards interestingly.

I'm normally at the quiet pubs ideally with offers on. e.g. club 97 on lkf street has 2 for 1 draft and house spirits till 9pm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milch)
    http://www.uniformwares.com/shop

I own a 203 series but I love their new 302 series !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    I spend ~£1k each on my suits (I obviously don't have them made on Savile Row, but there are plenty of good tailors around the country who charge much less for what is still very good bespoke), under £50 each for my shirts and ~£100 on my watch. Spending more on all would be pretty easy, but I doubt I'd get much better quality in terms of things I care about without spending vastly more - probably triple for the suits and shirts and 5-10 times more for the watch.
    Where do you get your shirts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KPCN)
    Where do you get your shirts?
    Wow, been a long time since I posted here.

I get my shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt or Harvie & Hudson, mostly the former as there's a shop in Canary Wharf so it's convenient. But it doesn't matter too much, shirts are the easy bit to save on - I have TM Lewin, Pink, even the odd M&S shirt I still wear. Anything with a cut that roughly fits, made of cotton and ideally a decent weight (doesn't show through, feels nicer, easier to iron) should be fine, wherever it's from. TM Lewin is good for a budget if you get their luxury/heavy weight shirts, though CT isn't much more. These should both be easily affordable for anyone with any corporate job. You can go up to Turnbull & Asser or even getting bespoke shirt if you want, and they'll feel and fit a little nicer, but the difference is small for the price, when compared to buying a better suit or shoes for example.

One tip: always have a non-iron shirt ready. It helps so much when travelling, or in the office, to always have something you can throw on without needing to worry about finding an iron.

ReputationRep:
    Pink shirts are excellent for the money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangst)
    Pink shirts are excellent for the money.
    I'd say the exact opposite. Standard Pink shirts are no better than CT ones and significantly more expensive, and the luxury Pink ones (I've forgotten the label) are near enough Turnbull & Asser price without having quite that level of quality. They're nice shirts and I very much like the couple of Pink shirts I have, but they always seem a bit pricey to me compared to other Jermyn St. makers.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say the exact opposite. Standard Pink shirts are no better than CT ones and significantly more expensive, and the luxury Pink ones (I've forgotten the label) are near enough Turnbull & Asser price without having quite that level of quality. They're nice shirts and I very much like the couple of Pink shirts I have, but they always seem a bit pricey to me compared to other Jermyn St. makers.
    True. Most Thomas Pink shirts I believe are made in somewhere like Vietnam, much like many of the other proclaimed 'Jermyn Street' shirt manufacturers. T&A all the way as I have a 15.5 neck, 34 arm, and prefer tailored which means cuts need to be perfect all the time. H&K I also have in my wardrobe for the last 3 years - I just don't like the colour to be honest so seldom get used.

We actually have an ex-footballer who makes our shirts now as well. He now has a rather successful business and comes in to see us every once in a while and receives a good few orders. Problem is - if you change your watch from a sub-mariner to an authentic simple design, you need to change your shirt!

ReputationRep:
    where would you recommend for shirts ~£100 then?

cheers

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.