The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Original post by Jonario
Do you know what qualification it comes under? Also there are modules that aren't exactly finished but contain high marks so I wish to include them, should I put the main module mark as pending and write up the grades beneath them? What should I do about the percentage each part is worth?
You use the 'my qualification isn't listed here' option to open up the section you can use to list module descriptions. If the module isn't completed you can't really put in a provisional mark - your referee can easily comment on the marks achieved to date though, and should.
Reply 541
Original post by Minerva
You use the 'my qualification isn't listed here' option to open up the section you can use to list module descriptions. If the module isn't completed you can't really put in a provisional mark - your referee can easily comment on the marks achieved to date though, and should.

Thanks :smile: One last question, I have modules that are completely done but other modules that just need a may/June exam, can I include them? Also, Should I put the ones that aren't done with a pending status?

Also, I couldn't find 'my qualification isn't listen here' but I've found 'Other'. I'm doing an Economics degree so that'll go in the subject/title while the modules go at the bottom... right?

Oh and it mentions this
"If your subject is listed more than once, eg Biology, Biology A, Biology B, please check your certificate or speak to your school, college or centre." I'm doing an economics degree and one of my modules is Economics mode A, does this apply to me? Should I just write the module code instead?
Reply 542
Original post by Jonario
Thanks :smile: One last question, I have modules that are completely done but other modules that just need a may/June exam, can I include them? Also, Should I put the ones that aren't done with a pending status?

Also, I couldn't find 'my qualification isn't listen here' but I've found 'Other'. I'm doing an Economics degree so that'll go in the subject/title while the modules go at the bottom... right?

Oh and it mentions this
"If your subject is listed more than once, eg Biology, Biology A, Biology B, please check your certificate or speak to your school, college or centre." I'm doing an economics degree and one of my modules is Economics mode A, does this apply to me? Should I just write the module code instead?
That's for national exams with different syllabuses - in your case the name of your module is unique to your uni.

If 'other' allows you to put in the name of your degree, that's fine.

It would be usual for your module marks to be subject to final confirmation by the Exam Board at the end of the year, so technically all your module results are 'pending' at the moment. Your referee should be commenting on your performance to date in any case.
I want transfer to another uni for my second year, i was just wondering; do I need to write another personal statement? cause its not like Im applying for first year.:confused:
Reply 545
Seeing as I'm in my first year and have yet to complete it would I need to list what qualification I expect to get under the education section of ucas application?
Yo All!

I'm in my second year of a straight Philosophy course, but attempting to transfer to a joint course of Philosophy and Classics (or ancient history, classical studies etc - all very similar subjects...). I've sent off a batch of emails quite a while ago to the unis that i'm trying to transfer into - none of them are that much better than the uni that i'm at now, I'm at a top 10-15 uni (for both my subject & overall, and depending on the particular legue table...) and going for unis in that range or lower... My marks for a-level (A*A*AB) and the work that i've done so far at uni (nearly all above 60, some over 70...) are good...

Problem is that around half still haven't replyed properly, other than the automated reply system, I sent the emails probably 1 1/2 months ago, I've sent follow-up emails etc... The ones that have replyed have all said that I can't transfer... & I don't want to waste time on a UCAS thing if I'm just going to be turned down... My last-ditch plan was to transfer to the UEA to finish my striaght degree, as its only an hour from home (so if i don't make friends, as I haven't at my current uni, i'm not totally socially isolated - I can come home at the weekends and see my family & old friends who stayed in the area) but I'm now slightly freaking out that even they won't let me transfer... [I don't really want to go to UEA (no offence to UEAers!), it was just going to be a worst-case-scenario kinda thing]

Basically, I'd just like to know if anyone else had trouble finding a transfer place? Am I alone?! :biggrin: Or is there anything blatantly obvious that I am missing thats keeping me from getting a transfer place??

Thanks! And sorry for going on so long! :smile:
Reply 547
Original post by -bill-
Seeing as I'm in my first year and have yet to complete it would I need to list what qualification I expect to get under the education section of ucas application?

You only get a qualification (Certificate of Higher Education) if you request one from your current uni. If not, select "no qualifications".

Original post by RetroRocker
Yo All!

I'm in my second year of a straight Philosophy course, but attempting to transfer to a joint course of Philosophy and Classics (or ancient history, classical studies etc - all very similar subjects...). I've sent off a batch of emails quite a while ago to the unis that i'm trying to transfer into - none of them are that much better than the uni that i'm at now, I'm at a top 10-15 uni (for both my subject & overall, and depending on the particular legue table...) and going for unis in that range or lower... My marks for a-level (A*A*AB) and the work that i've done so far at uni (nearly all above 60, some over 70...) are good...

Problem is that around half still haven't replyed properly, other than the automated reply system, I sent the emails probably 1 1/2 months ago, I've sent follow-up emails etc... The ones that have replyed have all said that I can't transfer... & I don't want to waste time on a UCAS thing if I'm just going to be turned down... My last-ditch plan was to transfer to the UEA to finish my striaght degree, as its only an hour from home (so if i don't make friends, as I haven't at my current uni, i'm not totally socially isolated - I can come home at the weekends and see my family & old friends who stayed in the area) but I'm now slightly freaking out that even they won't let me transfer... [I don't really want to go to UEA (no offence to UEAers!), it was just going to be a worst-case-scenario kinda thing]

Basically, I'd just like to know if anyone else had trouble finding a transfer place? Am I alone?! :biggrin: Or is there anything blatantly obvious that I am missing thats keeping me from getting a transfer place??

Thanks! And sorry for going on so long! :smile:

Well, if they're not replying to emails you need to phone them. The person you speak to may not be able to answer your question so ask for a specific person to email.

But yes, it is difficult to transfer as the new uni needs to have spaces and also your completed modules need to match their first year modules. As you're wanting to change course it's very unlikely you'll get anywhere as you haven't covered the correct modules (you've done no classics) and it would be difficult for you to complete the second year modules whilst trying to catch up. Really, you either need to think about sticking with the same course and transferring, starting again from first year, or seeing if they'd let you take a year out to catch up.
Original post by Juno

Well, if they're not replying to emails you need to phone them. The person you speak to may not be able to answer your question so ask for a specific person to email.

But yes, it is difficult to transfer as the new uni needs to have spaces and also your completed modules need to match their first year modules. As you're wanting to change course it's very unlikely you'll get anywhere as you haven't covered the correct modules (you've done no classics) and it would be difficult for you to complete the second year modules whilst trying to catch up. Really, you either need to think about sticking with the same course and transferring, starting again from first year, or seeing if they'd let you take a year out to catch up.

Oh bugger! :P I do have an a-level in classical civilisation as well as a GCSE in Latin and a more recent adult course in medieval latin (very similar to classcial latin but with some extra vocab) which I got a very high mark for, and i'm only trying to contact universities which don't request either a classics a-level or any language qualifications - do you reckon that this would help, or is it hopeless? Thanks for the help by the way! :smile:
Reply 549
Original post by RetroRocker
Oh bugger! :P I do have an a-level in classical civilisation as well as a GCSE in Latin and a more recent adult course in medieval latin (very similar to classcial latin but with some extra vocab) which I got a very high mark for, and i'm only trying to contact universities which don't request either a classics a-level or any language qualifications - do you reckon that this would help, or is it hopeless? Thanks for the help by the way! :smile:

It depends what the courses you're trying to apply to cover in their first year. If they only go as far as your A Level has covered you might be ok, but I would imagine that they cover more stuff.

Do make sure you tell them, because it might be enough.
Reply 550
Hi, I am completely clueless about the transferring process from univerisities. I don't know where to get the information I want so if anyone can help, that would be great!

What I want to know is the process of transferring from one uni to another in the first year. Do you go straight into second year elsewhere? Do you have re do student finance (I don't want to go through all the household income stuff again and get everyone involved) How do you qualifiy to transfer?

Anyone who has tranferred, did you find it hard to make friends? Everyone else has had a year to click but you're a newbie. How did that work out?

Thanks!
Reply 551
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424

Your questions would be best answered there. Also, most people didn't seem to have trouble regarding friends.
Reply 552
If I did a foundation year (Year 0) in one university and want to continue the course on another university for Year 1. What exactly are the requirements I need?

So when I'm looking through the course's "Specific Requirements section", what exactly am I looking at?

The 'Advanced Diploma' requirement section or is it the 'Access to HE' requirement section etc. etc.
Original post by keejee
If I did a foundation year (Year 0) in one university and want to continue the course on another university for Year 1. What exactly are the requirements I need?

So when I'm looking through the course's "Specific Requirements section", what exactly am I looking at?

The 'Advanced Diploma' requirement section or is it the 'Access to HE' requirement section etc. etc.

If in doubt, call and ask.

I should probably put this in big red flashing letters in the first post :tongue:
Reply 554
I'm currently studying at DMU, but applied for a transfer at universities closer to home. I have received at unconditional offer from Kingston for the second year. However I did not put any of my first year results on my UCAS application and just put my A-level grades down. So do I need to finish my first year in order to carry on in the second year in Kingston despite it being an unconditonal offer? I'm confused!
Reply 555
Original post by keejee

You need to look for the section that relates to you. You don't have either of those qualifications - you have a foundation course.
Original post by Mande
I'm currently studying at DMU, but applied for a transfer at universities closer to home. I have received at unconditional offer from Kingston for the second year. However I did not put any of my first year results on my UCAS application and just put my A-level grades down. So do I need to finish my first year in order to carry on in the second year in Kingston despite it being an unconditonal offer? I'm confused!

Call them and ask. You will almost certainly have to pass though as otherwise you won't have enough credits to be awarded a degree.
Reply 557
Original post by paddy__power
Call them and ask. You will almost certainly have to pass though as otherwise you won't have enough credits to be awarded a degree.

That is what I thought but then the offer would not be unconditional. I also thought maybe it was my fault in the way I presented my modules but other universities have asked me for more information on my modules/my results etc. Also I will call them and ask but my current course at DMU asks me pass every single assignment I have undertaken in order to pass the first year and I have already completed a module and passed it but did not pass one of my assignments. In transfers do universities consider their own regulations or your previous universities?
Original post by Mande
That is what I thought but then the offer would not be unconditional. I also thought maybe it was my fault in the way I presented my modules but other universities have asked me for more information on my modules/my results etc. Also I will call them and ask but my current course at DMU asks me pass every single assignment I have undertaken in order to pass the first year and I have already completed a module and passed it but did not pass one of my assignments. In transfers do universities consider their own regulations or your previous universities?

Both. You will need to have obtained 120 credits to be able to complete your degree in two years at another university and in order to have obtained them you will need to have satisfied your current requirements to pass the modules. However, what you have studied also has to be deemed appropriate by the university you wish to transfer to (as evidently it is in your case). I can't think of a way that they would give you entry into the second year without you having to pass - it just wouldn't work.
Reply 559
Original post by paddy__power
Both. You will need to have obtained 120 credits to be able to complete your degree in two years at another university and in order to have obtained them you will need to have satisfied your current requirements to pass the modules. However, what you have studied also has to be deemed appropriate by the university you wish to transfer to (as evidently it is in your case). I can't think of a way that they would give you entry into the second year without you having to pass - it just wouldn't work.

The only way it might work is if you were to resit the failed module, but as the new uni is very unlikely to have exactly the same module it wouldn't be as simple as a normal resit. It would be more like a complete re-do.

Quick Reply

Latest