The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tateco
How's avoiding TSR going? :wink:

Not very well, evidently... :tongue:
Original post by usamakhanlodhi
hye im thinking about taking a gap year and applying to economics.
If I work hard I am hoping to get 4A*s(Economics biology and maths, chemistry) in the summer
although my GCSE's were not good 4A*s 4As
Can I ask those applicants who have got offers for economics am I in with a realistic chance of getting into economics at somewhere like Warwick, Cambridge or LSE? bearing in mind I would have already achieved my grades and also that my GCSEs were pretty average

Provided you get 4A*'s and take up FM A2 during your gap year and build a strong PS I think you should get into LSE/UCL...
Cambridge is slightly different as it depends on your Interview as well.
Original post by -Illmatic-
lol PM me the school name. I'm also from a state-school in W.London...

and me! :woo:
Reply 9163
No one from an East London state school? :tongue:
Reply 9164
Original post by Hemzo
No one from an East London state school? :tongue:

:wavey:

Technically, yes. I remember we both went to that Queen Mary conference thing. So, yes I guess we're roughly from the same part of London :redface:
Reply 9165
Original post by zxh800
:wavey:

Technically, yes. I remember we both went to that Queen Mary conference thing. So, yes I guess we're roughly from the same part of London :redface:

Ah yes I remember now! That was about a year or so ago I think.. Ah how time flies :redface:

Which school do you go to? PM me :smile:
Reply 9166
Has anyone ever had an offer on ucas lowered without being told? I think york have reduced my offer from aaa to aab... unless 2 months ago I misread my offer?!

I know I should be happy about this but before I hadnt even considered it...
I have offers of an AAB (A in maths) for Exeter and AAB for Lancaster and Nottingham A*AA plus York. I have always wanted to firm Exeter but now have 2 choices for insurance if ucas is right!
Original post by S.Pink
Has anyone ever had an offer on ucas lowered without being told? I think york have reduced my offer from aaa to aab... unless 2 months ago I misread my offer?!

I know I should be happy about this but before I hadnt even considered it...
I have offers of an AAB (A in maths) for Exeter and AAB for Lancaster and Nottingham A*AA plus York. I have always wanted to firm Exeter but now have 2 choices for insurance if ucas is right!

Everyone has got an AAB offer for York that I know of.

So yes, you can choose between Lancaster/York for your insurance? I'd go for York :tongue:
Reply 9168
Original post by Brand New Eyes
Everyone has got an AAB offer for York that I know of.

So yes, you can choose between Lancaster/York for your insurance? I'd go for York :tongue:

I havnt seen York but I saw lancaster on Saturday so dont have anything to compare! Thought I was all sorted with Exeter then Lancaster.... Until tonight.
Why would you say York if you mind me asking?
Original post by S.Pink
I havnt seen York but I saw lancaster on Saturday so dont have anything to compare! Thought I was all sorted with Exeter then Lancaster.... Until tonight.
Why would you say York if you mind me asking?

Didn't you read the offer when it came through? Anyway, boils down to two things for why York > Lancaster

better reputation for Economics + generally
not in the middle of nowhere (York is closer to York town than Lancaster is) but if you can drive that probably wont be such a big factor

I'm sure there are lots of threads with the same issue.
Save making an entire thread about it, does anyone know if a rejection from LSE is game over for the following year? As in, are re-applicants automatically rejected even if their application is vastly better this time around?

I've been to a few open days from my offers, but really I'm not too keen on them. I would rather wait back another year and reapply to LSE as well as a few other universities I didn't list the first time.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9171
Original post by LiberiFatali
Save making an entire thread about it, does anyone know if a rejection from LSE is game over for the following year? As in, are re-applicants automatically rejected even if their application is vastly better this time around?

I've been to a few open days from my offers, but really I'm not too keen on them. I would rather wait back another year and reapply to LSE as well as a few other universities I didn't list the first time.

Of course not, they'll just consider you as a new applicant, I'm thinking about doing the same, just going to see if I like Bath :smile:
Original post by Tateco
Of course not, they'll just consider you as a new applicant, I'm thinking about doing the same, just going to see if I like Bath :smile:

Going to the open day next week?
Reply 9173
Original post by Tateco

I'm also considering replying next year. I thought you were still waiting for UCL though?
Reply 9174
Original post by jamiepango
Going to the open day next week?

Yeah :smile: you?

Original post by jacky23
I'm also considering replying next year. I thought you were still waiting for UCL though?

I am still waiting, can't see the I 'll get in after all this time though :smile:
Original post by LiberiFatali

Last year I applied to LSE, UCL and Warwick - Rejected.
This year I have an offer from one of them and am waiting to here from the other two.
UCL Professor - Prof Attanasio. Vice President of European Economic Association.

Camera work questionable at times but an interesting lecture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v2gZfckrac

He teaches undergrad econ I think, not sure. A great man none the less.
Original post by Tateco

Guess I'll see you there :colone:
Reply 9178
Original post by Tateco

Original post by jamiepango
Guess I'll see you there :colone:

I'll see you guys there too :biggrin:
Reply 9179
Original post by Hemzo
I'll see you guys there too :biggrin: