The Student Room Group

Plan B: 'Chav is a derogatory phrase'

Scroll to see replies

Ever consider that so called lower-class chavs are a victim of circumstance?
Original post by Iron Lady
Did I mention that they drop their Ts?
So do most people in the country. Everything that is external to antisocial behaviour in this context is not universally socially undesirable or limited to particular members of society.
Spare me the Polictial correctness.
There is a clear line towards living in a council house and being a chav.
Did I mention that they drop their Ts?

I drop my Ts, last time I checked I'm not a chav. I can't help it, it's how my parents and my friends speak. You're equating class and environment to behaviour which is wrong and exactly what most people in this thread are arguing against.
Reply 44
Original post by Besakt
Yes they do burn bus shelters with cigarettes and lighters.
They do shout abuse at strangers.
No but they don't shut up about how pissed they got last night.
Yes some of them don't give a **** about their education as they can fall back on mummy and daddy.
Yet nobody has ever referred to these people as chavs.

Oh right. Well clearly that is shocking behaviour; I'd most certainly refer to them as chav like as would many of my associates. Also, anyone can attend a private school providing they have the money. Trouble is, people have different interpretations of social class boundaries; some believe it is reliant just on money which is ridiculous. Lottery winners, footballers, celebrities and some professions can still belong to the working class which isn't a problem, it depends on their behaviour.

You're bitter too, does it really matter if their parents make allowances for them?
Reply 45
Original post by lukas1051
I know plenty of middle class chavs, my school is full of them. I know of people with a caring stable family living in a nice house, who are uncontrollable menaces, they're antisocial and abusive and generally horrible, and they change their lives to fit the chav stereotype by wearing tracksuits and smoking and drinking cans of beer in public and playing **** music from their phone speakers just like every other chav.

The only difference between middle class chavs and lower class chavs is that middle class chavs have more expensive tracksuits. It's not about class it's about the culture, and a person can choose how they act.

Yet the former never usually get referred to as chavs.
All a working class person has to do to get labelled as a chav is dress in a tracksuit and hang around in groups.
Reply 46
Oh right. Well clearly that is shocking behaviour; I'd most certainly refer to them as chav like as would many of my associates. Also, anyone can attend a private school providing they have the money. Trouble is, people have different interpretations of social class boundaries; some believe it is reliant just on money which is ridiculous. Lottery winners, footballers, celebrities and some professions can still belong to the working class which isn't a problem, it depends on their behaviour.

You're bitter too, does it really matter if their parents make allowances for them?

Making allowance for your children is one thing. Buying your son a brand new rolex when in year 8 after he has lost his, is just being spoilt rotten.
Original post by Anna_Karenina
There is a lot of bitterness toward the lower classes on a predominately middle class, liberal TSR because in watching and hearing about the lives of these 'chavs' it becomes painfully apparent just how plump and comfortable their own lives are, more than anything it inspires fear, fear of the 'chavs' fear of the enviroment these 'chavs' live in and more than anything a fear that they could not handle or live in the enviroment these 'chavs' live in.

It brings forward the insecurities which exist within the flabby, molly-coddled classes. The exact same insecurities which bring out a hatred and bitterness toward soldiers and the armed forces who also ironically are labelled 'lower class' etcc... It is almost as if the cotton-wool wrapped middle classes are trying more than anything to convince themselves that they are better despite them being terrified of anything outside their comfortable liberal cocoon. :rolleyes:

When things take a turn for the worse, which will probably happen within our generation. The soft, obese middle classes will be eaten alive by the hungry and tough sections of our society and our world. But until that moment comes they will do little to prevent it bar sit in their comfortable chairs in their comfortable homes arguing on the internet and convinving themselves that they are not pathetic, but are in fact better than those they fear. :mmm:

Very eloquent, but complete crap. "They" fear chavs because chavs are generally violent, criminal and hunt in packs. Most people commenting will have come into contact with chavs. Not everybody here is so coccooned. You're generalising far too much to be in any way accurate.
Reply 48
Original post by Besakt
I have that is why I said I wear it for sports and then I don't bother changing (when I am not doing sport). Maybe you should read properly.

What is speaking properly? What is behaving properly?
Yes I have ambition, as do many people who wear tracksuits and hang around in groups and get referred to as chavs.

That's a bit lazy, but not completely chav like.
Speaking properly: correct grammar, pronouncing words properly, using appropiate words.

Original post by Arturo Bandini
Lol. Why? Because you say so?

And there's something wrong with greeting friends in a certain way? Jesus, get a ****ing grip.

Read what I've said to the likes of Besakt and whyumadtho
Read what I've said to the likes of Besakt and whyumadtho

You haven't responded to any of my points adequately and I still don't know why certain dialects and clothing types are undesirable in your view. :erm:
Reply 50
Original post by whyumadtho
So do most people in the country. Everything that is external to antisocial behaviour in this context is not universally socially undesirable or limited to particular members of society.

Original post by lukas1051
I drop my Ts, last time I checked I'm not a chav. I can't help it, it's how my parents and my friends speak. You're equating class and environment to behaviour which is wrong and exactly what most people in this thread are arguing against.

Most people in the country to do not drop their Ts!
You can help it by just pronouncing the T. Being a chav will depend on a number of factors, not just that.

Original post by Besakt
Making allowance for your children is one thing. Buying your son a brand new rolex when in year 8 after he has lost his, is just being spoilt rotten.

Why is it any of your business?
Reply 51
That's a bit lazy, but not completely chav like.
Speaking properly: correct grammar, pronouncing words properly, using appropiate words.

Apparently because of the way I dress I would be referred to as a chav by the likes of you.
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. What is appropriate words?
Reply 52
You haven't responded to any of my points adequately and I still don't know why certain dialects and clothing types are undesirable in your view. :erm:

Because they have an image associated with them.

There is a difference between being chav like (i.e. chav tendencies) and being a complete chav too.
Reply 53
Original post by Besakt
Apparently because of the way I dress I would be referred to as a chav by the likes of you.
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. What is appropriate words?

Words that fit the surroundings.

It's a difference of opinion.
Most people in the country to do not drop their Ts!
You can help it by just pronouncing the T. Being a chav will depend on a number of factors, not just that.
Most people in the country make an active effort to enunciate the 't' in 'don't', for example? I don't think so.
Reply 55
Why is it any of your business?

Because these same people accuse the working class for not working for their money.
Reply 56
Most people in the country make an active effort to enunciate the 't' in 'don't', for example? I don't think so.

I do. It sounds far nicer.
Original post by Besakt
Yet the former never usually get referred to as chavs.
All a working class person has to do to get labelled as a chav is dress in a tracksuit and hang around in groups.

There is a distinct difference between wearing a tracksuit to the gym and hanging around with friends; and wearing a tracksuit while standing on a street corner with a gang with a can of lager one hand and a fag in the other.

What I'm trying to say is it's pretty obvious whether or not a person is a chav, and it's not based on class.
I believe there's a book by Owen Jones called Chavs: The Demonization of the Working Class.

I think the problem with the word 'chav' is that it has become an all-encompassing word. Yes, society may be right to look down on certain aspects of what people perceive these 'chavs' to be - lazy, unable to work, anti-social - but it has become too frequently used. It's a horrible 'label'.

Judging people on the clothes they wear, how they choose to spend their leisure time or the way they speak is not right. Yes, I flinch at slang and lazy use of the English language, but the way we speak is influenced by who we are surrounded by - you can't stop that. It has been a derogatory phrase for a long time and isn't fair in everything it suggests.
Original post by Piko_Piko
Not everybody here is so coccooned.

:rolleyes: Wow, typical denial from a cocoon dweller. :mmm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending