The Student Room Group

Any hope with these results?

Hi there,

I got my first exam results back and I'm extremely disappointed, I revised my backside off and felt confident (I am not usually a confident person) going into the exams, I did feel they went okay, i wasn't expecting A's but I dids think I got atleast B's.
I got a C in Biology
and a D in chemistry (2 marks off a C)

I have completed the coursework for both subjects (should be an A or a high B)
but I was wondering is there any hope of me getting decent enough grades come August so I still have a chance in Dentistry?

I have work experience lined up but I don't know whether to bother seeing as my grades suck and according to my biology teacher it's very unlikely for me to get an A.
And my chemistry teacher had me in tears when she said "there's no way your getting a B" :'(
I am predicted Bs ....

I am an AS student and still have the summer exams to do..

Sorry for the massive rambly/post but that's how rubbish I feel..
(edited 11 years ago)
You could re-sit the exams, but that might detract from your work for the summer ones.
What grades does dentistry require, AAA?
Sorry but those January results don't suggest that you're gonna get AAA.
Original post by Weasleys_jumper
Hi there,

I got my first exam results back and I'm extremely disappointed, I revised by backside off and felt confident (I am not usually a confident person) going into the exams, I did feel they went okay, i wasn't expecting A's but I dids think I got atleast B's.
I got a C in Biology
and a D in chemistry (2 marks off a C)

I have completed the coursework for both subjects (should be an A or a high B)
but I was wondering is there any hope of me getting decent enough grades come August so I still have a chance in Dentistry?

I have work experience lined up but I don't know whether to bother seeing as my grades suck and according to my biology teacher it's very unlikely for me to get an A.
And my chemistry teacher had me in tears when she said "there's no way your getting a B" :'(
I am predicted Bs ....

I am an AS student and still have the summer exams to do..

Sorry for the massive rambly/post but that's how rubbish I feel..

Prove your teachers wrong! Revise + retake.
Don't worry, there is still hope.

You can retake both exams in the Summer. Just make sure you put in more effort that you did last time, and make sure you go over the topics you struggled with. Identify where you went wrong - did you not do all the past papers? Did you not go through the hardest topics?

Ignore your teachers! I know people who got Us at AS, and came out with A*s at A2 from retaking and working hard. Very hard. If you want something really bad, you'll have to work hard and prove to your teachers you're capable of getting the As! Don't give up :h:
Go for it and apply even if your predicted all Bs places like kings college will make you an offer for 3 Bs if they like you
Reply 5
You shouldn't lose all hope just yet, you still have time to make things take a turn for the better. Retake those exams and work hard (and work smart!) until summer. Start now.

Still do the work experience. Contrary to popular belief, work experience is not a magical way to gain entry into dentistry/any other school, it's there for you to try so you can get a realistic view of what that job entails or if it is even what you want to do.
(edited 12 years ago)
Never give up. Although you feel despondent now, tell yourself you can prove your teachers wrong and you can do it. You know you're smart. There must have been something you tripped up on in the exams. As someone else suggested, go back over the material and really confront those topics you really struggle with. Everybody has areas they're not as strong in and usually this makes us weary of pursuing them. You can do it! I have every faith.
Original post by XxSophie01xX
Never give up. Although you feel despondent now, tell yourself you can prove your teachers wrong and you can do it. You know you're smart. There must have been something you tripped up on in the exams. As someone else suggested, go back over the material and really confront those topics you really struggle with. Everybody has areas they're not as strong in and usually this makes us weary of pursuing them. You can do it! I have every faith.

Thanks I really appreciate this comment, the sad thing is my teachers have already entered the re-sits for the summer and wouldn't allow me to enter as i my grades weren't "terrible" so not sure what to do aside from try really hard for my summer exams :/
Reply 8
Work hard and try and get AAA in your summer exams. Then ask your teachers to predict for three As and re-take AS unit 1 exams next Jan. Most Unis look at the predicted grades, UKCAT and personal statement for which you need work experience etc.Whatever you do don't give up work hard as you can for summer exams. Good luck.:smile:
Original post by chocoa
Work hard and try and get AAA in your summer exams. Then ask your teachers to predict for three As and re-take AS unit 1 exams next Jan. Most Unis look at the predicted grades, UKCAT and personal statement for which you need work experience etc.Whatever you do don't give up work hard as you can for summer exams. Good luck.:smile:

thank you so mcuh for the advice :smile:
Thanks I really appreciate this comment, the sad thing is my teachers have already entered the re-sits for the summer and wouldn't allow me to enter as i my grades weren't "terrible" so not sure what to do aside from try really hard for my summer exams :/

I'm glad you appreciate it. Couldn't you make a plea to someone higher up - your head teacher or something? They should appreciate that though the grades aren't terrible, it's necessary for you to get higher to pursue your chosen career. Did you explain this to them? Don't forget that it costs the school every time they re-enter someone for exams.
It's too late now anyway, the re-sits were entered before we broke up for Easter, I spoke to my cousin yesterday who also said you should have still entered for a re-sit, I feel terrible now like I've screwed up my chances :/
It's too late now anyway, the re-sits were entered before we broke up for Easter, I spoke to my cousin yesterday who also said you should have still entered for a re-sit, I feel terrible now like I've screwed up my chances :/

Hey,

Speak to your exam boards directly - they might let you resit but will charge a high price, but still I think it would be worth it. :smile:
Or you could just do them next year in Jan.

If your school doesn't let you do them there then try to find another exam centre like another school or college.

Best of luck :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Patchey1000
Go for it and apply even if your predicted all Bs places like kings college will make you an offer for 3 Bs if they like you

what do you mean?
really ? :redface:
i thought it was AAA ?
Reply 14
Original post by Man-Utd
what do you mean?
i thought it was AAA ?

Adding to what patchey said.. King's usually only give lower grade offers when you have an amazingly high ukcat score and perform really well at interview. Work hard for ukcat and you could be invited for interview :smile:
Original post by Man-Utd
what do you mean?
i thought it was AAA ?

Yeah look at their prospectus, having said that I'm not sure how many of these offers they make

Quick Reply

Latest