The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];36661866']Has anyone managed to register online yet?

I just tried to do it, and it keeps say 'personal details not validated' :s-smilie:

I'm a postgrad if that makes any difference...

i emailed them last week and they said that they havent opened it yet but were going to do so by the end of this week...

still not able to apply though which is annoying
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
i'm loving the Beaumont love in this topic, haha
Reply 322
Can someone talk me through Beaumont...

Like how the buildings are set out, what the rooms are like, are the majority catered or self-catered, what kind of people generally live there, is it social, how much does it roughly cost to live there, and the advantages and disadvantages, comparisons to John Foster, etccc.

[EDIT:] Oh and Bowder Court is apparently nice and they wouldnt show us it on the open day, so can someone tell me what thats like? :smile: thanks

On the open day yesterday they didnt even show us a room at Beaumont and only showed us the dining hall basically so I didnt exactly get a good idea of what it was like for self-catered at all.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 323
Does anyone the price difference between self-catered premium singles in Jofo, Beaumont and GMS?

Also I read somewhere that some standard singles have sinks in them. If I apply for a standard single, can I specify that I want a sink or would it be down to chance?

Thanks!

Still waiting for Leicester to let us apply for accommodation...
Reply 324
Original post by whotosee
Does anyone the price difference between self-catered premium singles in Jofo, Beaumont and GMS?

Also I read somewhere that some standard singles have sinks in them. If I apply for a standard single, can I specify that I want a sink or would it be down to chance?

Thanks!

Still waiting for Leicester to let us apply for accommodation...

Self catered premium single will be the same price everywhere, that's the idea behind the banding system, but there are only 12 places in JoFo (6 of each gender, Spinneys House) and relatively few in Beaumont for girls (Wardens Lodge which is pretty small and maybe Gatehouse which is tiny). GMS will be your best bet for that but it's still relatively small numbers cos Mary Gee is all premium single self catered.

Prices are here: http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/accommodation/fees-payments

I was led to believe that the reason for standard singles is that there's the odd room which can't be plumbed to fit a sink due to planning regulations in the listed buildings (mainly in GMS and Digby), though I'm not sure this is 100% true. You will notice that there are only a handful of standard single rooms, the vast vast majority are premium single, and I always thought the reason for this was the sink. When you get the form I think it should, or did, have the numbers available in each category (eg. 200 and something for Beaumont Catered Premium Single) which should make it clearer.
Reply 325
Original post by roh
Self catered premium single will be the same price everywhere, that's the idea behind the banding system, but there are only 12 places in JoFo (6 of each gender, Spinneys House) and relatively few in Beaumont for girls (Wardens Lodge which is pretty small and maybe Gatehouse which is tiny). GMS will be your best bet for that but it's still relatively small numbers cos Mary Gee is all premium single self catered.

Prices are here: http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/accommodation/fees-payments

I was led to believe that the reason for standard singles is that there's the odd room which can't be plumbed to fit a sink due to planning regulations in the listed buildings (mainly in GMS and Digby), though I'm not sure this is 100% true. You will notice that there are only a handful of standard single rooms, the vast vast majority are premium single, and I always thought the reason for this was the sink. When you get the form I think it should, or did, have the numbers available in each category (eg. 200 and something for Beaumont Catered Premium Single) which should make it clearer.

Thank you! It's nice to know that the prices are the same for everywhere. I do hope that I manage to get a self-catered premium single, don't mind too much where. Slightly nervous that I won't as there's not many of those rooms :smile:
Reply 326
Original post by whotosee
Thank you! It's nice to know that the prices are the same for everywhere. I do hope that I manage to get a self-catered premium single, don't mind too much where. Slightly nervous that I won't as there's not many of those rooms :smile:

If you really want self catered premium you should get it, it just might be at Mary Gee.

The problem is that previously, and hope this explains it for everyone, there was very little demand amongst home freshers (which is the majority of Oadby) for self catered. In my Fresher year (09-10) there were two pavilions of self at JoFo (which can switch between catered or self catered depending on demand), whereas this year it seems that there'll be as much self catered as possible whilst still having enough catered for the dining hall to be viable. Given such a swift (and so far as I can tell unexplained and unpredictable) change in what students want it's created an imbalance in supply and demand, simply because the uni can not build or convert as much new accommodation as would be needed up at Oadby in such a short space of time, though I'm sure they're working on it.
Reply 327
Beaumont standard en suite is looking like a good option.
Original post by roh
If you really want self catered premium you should get it, it just might be at Mary Gee.

Haha I would never have classified Mary Gee as self catered premium, just your bog standard self catered. You don't get a sink or anything like that in the room and one of our ovens is currently smashed in as it refused to close. Most people at mary gee didn't choose to be there so if your applying now and don't put down mary gee, probably won't get it.
Reply 329
I heard about shared rooms at Leicester, does anyone know how common they are?

I really really don't want to share, I'm on a ski season and I already have to share at the moment and it'd drive me mental sharing at uni!
Everyone probably knows this already but just incase you didn't, accommodation is open now so you can apply, I applied yesterday :smile:
Reply 331
Original post by Sherbet
I heard about shared rooms at Leicester, does anyone know how common they are?

I really really don't want to share, I'm on a ski season and I already have to share at the moment and it'd drive me mental sharing at uni!

They're pretty rare, only in the odd case in some of the houses in the botanical gardens so far as I know. You certainly won't have to do it like at some Durham colleges etc. and could easily fill your accommodation form without using them.
Original post by Manisha93
Everyone probably knows this already but just incase you didn't, accommodation is open now so you can apply, I applied yesterday :smile:

Ooo, thanks :biggrin:
Reply 333
i just applied today!

GMS, JoFo and Beuamont as my choices :smile:
Reply 334
Beaumont is the way forward!
Reply 335
Original post by Larsson
i just applied today!

GMS, JoFo and Beuamont as my choices :smile:

Applied earlier today with exactly same choices :biggrin:
Reply 336
Original post by WNB

sweet! i went for all ensuite options with 2 self catered and 2 catered :smile:
Reply 337
Original post by Larsson
sweet! i went for all ensuite options with 2 self catered and 2 catered :smile:

Swell, i did 1 ensuite 3 single, with all self catered, JoFo being my first choices

Pretty sure i'll be seeing you around in October
Reply 338
Does anyone in catered accommodation know how strict they are on guests staying, I know they are not really allowed but I applied for catered accommodation for gms and Beaumont and self catered jofo, but want my boyfriend to stay! Thanks :smile:
Reply 339
Original post by WNB

I applied for the same! All with an ensuite and half and half catered self catered!

Quick Reply

Latest