The Student Room Group

Any new games like Age of Empires out there?

So I absolutely loved Age of Empires 2 and 3 and Empires Dawn of the Modern World if anybody every played that? Anyway I was wondering if anyone new of any games similar to those that are a bit newer but would still work on a fairly standard PC that's a few years old. It was considered a gaming pc when I bought it but is nothing compared to gaming pc's now.

Anyway yeah, looking for similar game play to the age of empires style games. Anybody have any ideas?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Age of empires online.. :colone:
Original post by Tommyjw
Age of empires online.. :colone:

I can't play Age of Empires 3 online cause I forgot my password and email :frown:
Reply 3
Total war differs, isn't it turned based ?
Part of what I like about EDOTMW and AE is that you got to build a little city along with your army, you don't really get that in total war do you?
Total war games aren't RTS games.
Original post by LarrikinLibertine
So I absolutely loved Age of Empires 2 and 3 and Empires Dawn of the Modern World if anybody every played that? Anyway I was wondering if anyone new of any games similar to those that are a bit newer but would still work on a fairly standard PC that's a few years old. It was considered a gaming pc when I bought it but is nothing compared to gaming pc's now.

Anyway yeah, looking for similar game play to the age of empires style games. Anybody have any ideas?

Age of empires online is crap, I haven't found any good RTS games similair to AoE, i wish they would just make a new one.
(edited 12 years ago)
Yeh its only RTS in battle mode. I loved AoE but just could never really get into total war.
Reply 8
Try Rise of Nations or Empire Earth (which was essentially seen as Age of Empires in a different form). Both were released quite a while back but are quality games.

Other possible alternatives if you haven't already played these; Civilization, Command and Conquer, Company of Heroes, Black and White, Total War series and if you're a LOTR fan then try Battle for Middle Earth. All offer something different but give them a shot :wink:
Reply 9
Ooh nope. Should probably give it a go. Those 2 probably mix so well together :biggrin:
Original post by DannyW94
Try Rise of Nations or Empire Earth (which was essentially seen as Age of Empires in a different form). Both were released quite a while back but are quality games.

Grr not on steam. Might have to actually get of my lazy ass and buy a copy of one of them.
Reply 11
Another fun RTS is starcraft II
You can get expansion packs for Age of Empires III, I have a Native American one that's really good, extra campaigns and you can play as the Aztecs, Iroquois and Sioux :smile:
I second Rise of Nations. Great game in it's day. Wasn't a fan of the later technology stages, but overall was excellent.
age of mythology? like age of empires, but you get to choose ancient civilisations with different god powers to help you, and you can build titans.
Not really new, but Civilization IV is a brilliant game.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by mikeyd85
I second Rise of Nations. Great game in it's day. Wasn't a fan of the later technology stages, but overall was excellent.

I love rise of nations, just like to play a couple games every so often. I wish they would remake it.

Original post by Super Cicero
Not really new, but Civilization IV is a badass game.

Civ 4 is very good, I'd still choose that over 5 any day.
Reply 17
Cossacks might be worth looking at. It's pretty damn old (around the same as AoE 2, possibly older) but is still fun.
The expansion, Art Of War is also good, adds a few more nations and a load of campaigns and starting parameters for random maps. You should be able to get them both for ~£5.

Cossacks 2 had a good campaign mode, but the random maps were annoying as the game speed is not variable, people walk slowly and the maps are huge = spending long periods of time just moving armies around.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by bananaterracottapie
age of mythology? like age of empires, but you get to choose ancient civilisations with different god powers to help you, and you can build titans.

age of mythology one of my favourite games - I can recite nearly all the campaign by heart :P I'm so sad :colondollar:
Supreme commander is a pretty awesome RTS, Ive not played the latest one yet but imagine its just as good. Starcraft 2 is another great one. Both have bigo online communities so you can alwys find gmes online which is a big for me as playing against the.computer gets boring whatever game it is.

But if you want to experience age of empires again but little different try star wars galactic battlegrounds. Absolute class, basically a starwars version of age of.empires! Pretty old now though and not sure if its still played online..

Quick Reply

Latest