The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Scroll to see replies

Okay, sorry to be annoying but I have a few more questions :tongue:

First, is there any particular reason that there are a few people (on other forums) saying they don't like the look of Telford? I mean, I realise they might have personal reasons, but there also doesn't seem to be a lot of information about it compared to other places and I was wondering whether that was because it's not a "popular" place for some reason? It looks fine to me and it seems to be one of the cheapest for ensuites, but no one really seems to be raving about it like a lot of the others. Is it a sociable place?

Another thing, are the non-shared ensuite rooms in Butler Court all in the same flat, or are they mixed with the standard and shared rooms?

Also, is there a specific place (or more than one) where the art students live (e.g. the eastern halls), or are they literally just spread out wherever? I would've thought maybe Butler Court, but from doing a bit of internet searching it seems like there are a lot more non-art students there (and everywhere else!). Obviously I don't mind living with people doing other subjects , but I wouldn't like to turn up only to find out that all the people on my course are in the same place and I'm somewhere completely different...

Aaand, last question: does anyone know when "early June" is for booking accommodation? I have a conditional offer (there's no way I'm not going to get the grade, which is just a "pass" at foundation), but I'll find out my grade mid-May. However, I assume that my telling them my grade won't be in time for them to change my offer to unconditional so I can book a room in May, especially if they want official paperwork that I might not have by then. My problem is that I'm going on holiday for a week in what would be half term, which starts on the 2nd June, and I have an awful feeling that I won't be at home when they open up the online booking. Does anyone have any advice on this, or should I email them?

Thanks to anyone who read that, I'm sorry there are so many questions! I tend to over-worry a bit :tongue:
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by Village Whisper

First, is there any particular reason that there are a few people (on other forums) saying they don't like the look of Telford? I mean, I realise they might have personal reasons, but there also doesn't seem to be a lot of information about it compared to other places and I was wondering whether that was because it's not a "popular" place for some reason? It looks fine to me and it seems to be one of the cheapest for ensuites, but no one really seems to be raving about it like a lot of the others. Is it a sociable place?

Another thing, are the non-shared ensuite rooms in Butler Court all in the same flat, or are they mixed with the standard and shared rooms?

Also, is there a specific place (or more than one) where the art students live (e.g. the eastern halls), or are they literally just spread out wherever? I would've thought maybe Butler Court, but from doing a bit of internet searching it seems like there are a lot more non-art students there (and everywhere else!). Obviously I don't mind living with people doing other subjects , but I wouldn't like to turn up only to find out that all the people on my course are in the same place and I'm somewhere completely different...

Aaand, last question: does anyone know when "early June" is for booking accommodation? I have a conditional offer (there's no way I'm not going to get the grade, which is just a "pass" at foundation), but I'll find out my grade mid-May. However, I assume that my telling them my grade won't be in time for them to change my offer to unconditional so I can book a room in May, especially if they want official paperwork that I might not have by then. My problem is that I'm going on holiday for a week in what would be half term, which starts on the 2nd June, and I have an awful feeling that I won't be at home when they open up the online booking. Does anyone have any advice on this, or should I email them?

Thanks to anyone who read that, I'm sorry there are so many questions! I tend to over-worry a bit :tongue:

I imagine Harry French, I see quite a few art students at William Morris.

Telford is the smallest hall, I know a fresher in there and I think the majority of her flatmates are male and second years. In terms of halls, it's not renowned for having a great hall atmosphere.

Art students are spread out, but there's quite a few in William Morris this year. Butler Court is where the sporting elite usually reside. I wouldn't panic too much about being with people on your course - I know people on my course from Rutherford to Towers. I have been lucky though in that my flatmate does English :smile:
Original post by Nacho King
I want a self catered accomodation, but i don't know which halls of residence to apply for. I don't want to pay too much but i don't really like the idea of living in the Telford or Falkner buildings. What accomodation has the best atmosphere, facilities etc.? :tongue:

Harry French, William Morris, Rigg Rutt ( I think), Robert Bakewell and The Holt.

The first two are the cheapest, but William Morris has been quite disappointing this year - there's been a distinct lack of hall spirit. Also, I ended up in the older blocks which aren't ensuite and got a ****ty living area. If you end up in the newer blocks that are non ensuite then you get an amazing living area - like the ensuite ones.
Original post by Colour Me Pretty
Butler Court is where the sporting elite usually reside.

I'd say only about 1/4-1/3 of Butlers residents are the sporting elite. Most of them seem to be just your average student.
Original post by Wednesday Bass
I'd say only about 1/4-1/3 of Butlers residents are the sporting elite. Most of them seem to be just your average student.

Ah fair enough :p:
Ah fair enough :p:

Yeah, people tend to think that when they first look into Butler. I did

Last year pretty much half of C block (that I knew anyway) were pretty apathetic with elite sports, some went to the IMS just for a kick about really.
Yeah, people tend to think that when they first look into Butler. I did

Last year pretty much half of C block (that I knew anyway) were pretty apathetic with elite sports, some went to the IMS just for a kick about really.

Pretty much like Bill Mo tbh. I know someone in Butler and he loathes it :')
Pretty much like Bill Mo tbh. I know someone in Butler and he loathes it :')

It's not terrible (certainly a damned sight better than Falk Egg/Telford!) but it's the room sharing that got me. If I had a single room (and I could afford a single) I'd go straight back after my placement. The rooms are really nice and really big.

I think it's the room sharing that does it for a lot of people but I know a fair few who stayed in the shared rooms this year - 3/6 of my flat and about half of the committee IIRC.
It's not terrible (certainly a damned sight better than Falk Egg/Telford!) but it's the room sharing that got me. If I had a single room (and I could afford a single) I'd go straight back after my placement. The rooms are really nice and really big.

I think it's the room sharing that does it for a lot of people but I know a fair few who stayed in the shared rooms this year - 3/6 of my flat and about half of the committee IIRC.

I've yet to see Falk Egg or Telford, I think I'll make a visit to them both when I return :')

I couldn't share a room in fairness, it sounds so awful! There would be no privacy!
Falk Egg looks bad but it's not THAT bad really, all the people I know who live there enjoyed it a lot more than those I know who were in Telford/Butler. In fact I know someone who returned to Falk Egg. But anyway, Falk Egg is moving to Village Court/Old Elyvn this year isn't it? So these freshers coming in in 2012 won't be living in the real "falk egg" - and village court is a LOT nicer!
Original post by Melting Sugar.
Falk Egg looks bad but it's not THAT bad really, all the people I know who live there enjoyed it a lot more than those I know who were in Telford/Butler. In fact I know someone who returned to Falk Egg. But anyway, Falk Egg is moving to Village Court/Old Elyvn this year isn't it? So these freshers coming in in 2012 won't be living in the real "falk egg" - and village court is a LOT nicer!

Yep! My friend is in village court (affiliated with Royce) and their living area is amazing, better than mine and I'm self catered!
Reply 1052
Anyone know anything about Royce, or thinking about living there next September? :smile:

I Made Loughborough my firm choice yesterday (hoping to study Illustration) and there's so much accommodation to choose from! x
Original post by Lucyc19
Anyone know anything about Royce, or thinking about living there next September? :smile:

I Made Loughborough my firm choice yesterday (hoping to study Illustration) and there's so much accommodation to choose from! x

Melting Sugar.
QFA

Your queue I think.
Original post by Lucyc19

I'm living there next year with my friends :smile:

It's a good hall, I'm in William Morris atm and whilst I like it, I find it a bit quiet at times as we're off campus. There's a lot of spirit in the village, and you tend to meet more people in catered :smile:
Reply 1055
Yep I can imagine there's lots going on if you live in the village! As I'm studying an Art subject my only concern is that it might be quite far from the Design School though if it's within a half hour walk that'd be ok :smile: Might have to look into Royce then as the price for catered accommodation seems quite reasonable! :smile:
Does anyone have any information about Village Court? It doesn't have any videos on the website, and I don't quite get the differences between the 3 areas. In what way are they annexed? Are the rooms the same as the halls to which they're annexed? It just seems really confusing :s-smilie:

EDIT: Actually, I just looked at the 2012/13 fees and it says "Falkner Eggington On Tour (Village Court)", so does that mean the whole lot is being taken over this year? Sorry for all the questions :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Does anyone have any information about Village Court? It doesn't have any videos on the website, and I don't quite get the differences between the 3 areas. In what way are they annexed? Are the rooms the same as the halls to which they're annexed? It just seems really confusing :s-smilie:

EDIT: Actually, I just looked at the 2012/13 fees and it says "Falkner Eggington On Tour (Village Court)", so does that mean the whole lot is being taken over this year? Sorry for all the questions :tongue:

I think Falk Egg is being renovated so Falk Egg moves to Village Court (Which I think was renovated this year).
so i found i got in last week wooooo :smile: thinking of going for harry french? anybody have opinions?
Reply 1059
I've looked at Harry French..looks quite reasonably priced and I've heard good things about it but that's all I know at the moment lol :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending