The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Helsy
I've done MT1002 and currently doing MT2001.
MT1002 is really a connection between A-level maths and university maths. And if you've done further maths it makes it a bit easier too.
MT2001 is a continuation of MT1002, and it's not exactly easy. But it's still doable. :smile:
It's pretty much pure maths. But if you do straight maths, then you might do a couple applied modules. :smile:

Depending on where you live, it's about 20-30 minutes walk. Only reason why I don't do it is because I never really have a big enough block of time empty to actually get there, shop and come back. :tongue:

Ah I see. I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics. I think if I were to do Astrophysics then the Maths should be manageable, but I'd definately be worried about the Physics side of it.
Would I be doing these same modules if I were to do Maths at St. Andrews instead of Astrophyiscs? Also how many examss does one take every year?

Is your timetable that packed? :O
I can imagine life at St Andrews being awesome :biggrin:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 6921
Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
Ah I see. I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics. I think if I were to do Astrophysics then the Maths should be manageable, but I'd definately be worried about the Physics side of it.
Would I be doing these same modules if I were to do Maths at St. Andrews instead of Astrophyiscs? Also how many examss does one take every year?

If you did Maths, in Semester 1 I'd expect you to probably take MT1002 or MT2001 along with another maths module and then probably a spare module to do what you want. (That could be Astro if you wanted)
And there is one exam per module. So for instance, you'll probably have 3 exams at the end of semester 1, and again at the end of semester 2. But a couple of modules have class tests about half way through the semester, and they will count towards your overall score.
But a lot of which modules you take depends on your entry point, if you go to 1st year or 2nd year when you arrive.

Is your timetable that packed? :O
I can imagine life at St Andrews being awesome :biggrin:

Nah, it's not really bad, but I'm horrifically slow with my work (which is why I get things like extra time in exams etc) so I don't have much time to go out and buy the food etc. Thank God for Sainsburys delivery! :tongue:
Original post by Oh-WOW
there's a tourist hostel right opposite the union. It's pretty basic but as cheap as you'll get in St Andrews
http://www.standrewshostel.com/

OMG that's brilliant and WAY cheaper than the hostel I stayed in for the Aberdeen open day! Thank you!!
Original post by mezlande
I'm going to the open day on the 11th too! :biggrin: It's going to be a big decider for me so I can't wait!!
I can stay at a friend's in Edinburgh the night before and train up in the morning, but I'd really like to stay in St Andrews yano... get a real feel :P Anyone know if there's an actual cheap place to stay there? (I'm too scared to google because I'm afraid of the answer.. xD)

haha! i'll look out for you. and same, if it wasn't for costs and stuff, i would really have liked to stay in St Andrews too, sooo beautiful up there :biggrin: looking forward to seeing the legendary red robes, amirite?! :P
I understand that the deadline for scholarships is soon, but do we have to have already firmed St As and applied for student finance?
Reply 6925
What is up with the University's Facebook page saying it's in South Carolina?
Reply 6926
Original post by warlock
What is up with the University's Facebook page saying it's in South Carolina?

Hahahahah, quite hilarious! I guess, someone just didn't pay attention when choosing the location?
Reply 6927
anyone studing geology? or something related?
and what is the social life like there? I went on an open day last october and it is a beautiful place but there are no nightclubs and not many shops or anything?
obviously the course is the most important part and St Andrews seems ideal for what I'd ike to do!
Thanks
Original post by jelly_belle
haha! i'll look out for you. and same, if it wasn't for costs and stuff, i would really have liked to stay in St Andrews too, sooo beautiful up there :biggrin: looking forward to seeing the legendary red robes, amirite?! :P

Tell me about it, I must have spent more on these open days than I've spent on any food I've ever consumed! You must live quite close to do it in a day then? I have to admit, that hostel is the cheapest I've seen.. and for St Andrews too! Pffft forget the cloaks, my mates are taking bets on how many Jack Wills hoodies I will spot :P
Original post by Helsy

[INDENT]"The typical asking rates for entry to level two are AAA at Advanced Higher or A level, or Advanced Higher at AA in physics and mathematics along with Highers at AA in two other subjects (these Highers could have been done the previous year)"[/INDENT]
QUOTE]
I can't find them but I figure they're the same for Biology. Our chem teacher's kind of in the middle of a breakdown and I'm not sure I can pull off an A by myself :/ D'you reckon they would accept A*A*B? And if I did manage to pull it off... could you give me some pros and cons from a second year entrant's point of view? (missing the start of the course, the social aspect..etc..).
Original post by Helsy
If you did Maths, in Semester 1 I'd expect you to probably take MT1002 or MT2001 along with another maths module and then probably a spare module to do what you want. (That could be Astro if you wanted)
And there is one exam per module. So for instance, you'll probably have 3 exams at the end of semester 1, and again at the end of semester 2. But a couple of modules have class tests about half way through the semester, and they will count towards your overall score.
But a lot of which modules you take depends on your entry point, if you go to 1st year or 2nd year when you arrive.

Wow the course seems pretty flexible then, if you're able to pick a spare module; which is good :smile:
Sounds like a lot of exams. I was always under the presumption that I'd have exams at the end of the year :frown: (Semester does mean term right? :/)
How would you go into 2nd year; wouldn't it be difficult to adjust and what not?

Nah, it's not really bad, but I'm horrifically slow with my work (which is why I get things like extra time in exams etc) so I don't have much time to go out and buy the food etc. Thank God for Sainsburys delivery! :tongue:

Oh I see. Don't you find Sainsburys like way more expensive than Asda or Tesco? :O
Why doesn't it have a Law Department?
Tell me about it, I must have spent more on these open days than I've spent on any food I've ever consumed! You must live quite close to do it in a day then? I have to admit, that hostel is the cheapest I've seen.. and for St Andrews too! Pffft forget the cloaks, my mates are taking bets on how many Jack Wills hoodies I will spot :P

pahaa! :P yes, so much for shedding it's 'preppy' status, huh? although I'm willing to overlook that.. I mean come on, its ST ANDREWS! i don't know if it's maybe just the fact that they take on so many oxbridge rejects (or so I'm told) and they're predominantly private schooled?..gah I try not to put too much importance on that stuff though. I live in Edinburgh, so its not too long if you drive. I take it you live quite far out? :smile:
Original post by mrsnicket
Why doesn't it have a Law Department?

It used to, the law department is now part of Dundee uni I believe. We do have a big and active law society though with lots of firms coming up to recruit, and plenty of students go on to get training contracts at decent firms :smile:
Reply 6934

I can't find them but I figure they're the same for Biology. Our chem teacher's kind of in the middle of a breakdown and I'm not sure I can pull off an A by myself :/ D'you reckon they would accept A*A*B? And if I did manage to pull it off... could you give me some pros and cons from a second year entrant's point of view? (missing the start of the course, the social aspect..etc..).

"Entrance Requirements

The likely minimum grades currently required are:
SQA Highers: AABB including at least 2, and preferably 3,
from Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics

GCE A-Levels: AAB including 2

International Baccalaureate: 35 Points

Preference will be given to candidates offering strong science qualifications."

But depending on exactly what your offer is, there is some room to wiggle. Unless it states that you need As in certain subjects, then all you need to do is just achieve the grades. But if the course is particularly popular this year, there is always a tiny risk that they have to turn you down. But I doubt it. :smile:
[And about the 2nd year entry, look further down...]

Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
Wow the course seems pretty flexible then, if you're able to pick a spare module; which is good :smile:
Sounds like a lot of exams. I was always under the presumption that I'd have exams at the end of the year :frown: (Semester does mean term right? :/)
How would you go into 2nd year; wouldn't it be difficult to adjust and what not?

It's not really. The degrees are all modular, and modules last a semester (which is half the year, so similar to a term). At most of the English universities you would only be taking a couple exams in winter with the others in June. But St Andrews runs the exams once you've run the course. Which personally I prefer. :smile:

You've both asked about 2nd year entry... so here goes...

Pros: You can make your degree shorter, and so save one years worth of finance. From what I've seen of the maths and physics 1st year, you're very likely to have already covered it in Advanced Highers/A levels. It presents a challenging experience, but a good one. Ummm.... that's about it.
Cons: You can't take it as easy as your 1st year counterparts, your course marks, though I don't think count to your overall degree, do need to be good so that you can pass into honours the next year. Which puts on some stress with the exams. And you sometimes feel that everyone in the whole lecture theatre understands what is going on, and you don't, just because a lot of them are 2nd years. But it's not true, their probably just as confused as you are.

The thing about social-ness.... You still make tons of friends anyway. Both through your halls, societies and in lectures. So it doesn't matter if your in 2nd year or 1st, you'll still meet people. And you won't be the only ones doing 2nd entry, a lot of people do it. And in physics is was encouraged that if you had A-levels at least, you ought to do 2nd year entry.
What you've got to remember, is that you're new to the town, university, everything. So whichever you choose will be new and different. :smile:
Original post by jelly_belle
pahaa! :P yes, so much for shedding it's 'preppy' status, huh? although I'm willing to overlook that.. I mean come on, its ST ANDREWS! i don't know if it's maybe just the fact that they take on so many oxbridge rejects (or so I'm told) and they're predominantly private schooled?..gah I try not to put too much importance on that stuff though. I live in Edinburgh, so its not too long if you drive. I take it you live quite far out? :smile:

Edinburgh's ok really, I'm from Wales :/ As long as I think of how long it took me to get to Aberdeen it should be an ok journey. Yeah, I think I'll be quite proud of the fact that I didn't apply to oxbridge/get privately educated if I go there. They really all are though.. but you have a good attitude! Yahs are people too, we should embrace them and try get to know the people behind the accent :P
Original post by Helsy

But depending on exactly what your offer is, there is some room to wiggle. Unless it states that you need As in certain subjects, then all you need to do is just achieve the grades. But if the course is particularly popular this year, there is always a tiny risk that they have to turn you down. But I doubt it. :smile:

Yeah it's okay if I get the B in chem.. Sorry I meant the grades for second year entry!
Thank's for the positive response. The unis I've visited keep telling me that second year entry could be socially problematic and that they think it's a bad idea, it's been really hard to get a genuin opinion from someone's who's done it. I'd rather 3 amazing years than 4 slightly more financially stressful ones :smile:
Reply 6936
Original post by Helsy
"Entrance Requirements

The likely minimum grades currently required are:
SQA Highers: AABB including at least 2, and preferably 3,

GCE A-Levels: AAB including 2

International Baccalaureate: 35 Points

Preference will be given to candidates offering strong science qualifications."

It's not really. The degrees are all modular, and modules last a semester (which is half the year, so similar to a term). At most of the English universities you would only be taking a couple exams in winter with the others in June. But St Andrews runs the exams once you've run the course. Which personally I prefer. :smile:

You've both asked about 2nd year entry... so here goes...

Pros: You can make your degree shorter, and so save one years worth of finance. From what I've seen of the maths and physics 1st year, you're very likely to have already covered it in Advanced Highers/A levels. It presents a challenging experience, but a good one. Ummm.... that's about it.
Cons: You can't take it as easy as your 1st year counterparts, your course marks, though I don't think count to your overall degree, do need to be good so that you can pass into honours the next year. Which puts on some stress with the exams. And you sometimes feel that everyone in the whole lecture theatre understands what is going on, and you don't, just because a lot of them are 2nd years. But it's not true, their probably just as confused as you are.

The thing about social-ness.... You still make tons of friends anyway. Both through your halls, societies and in lectures. So it doesn't matter if your in 2nd year or 1st, you'll still meet people. And you won't be the only ones doing 2nd entry, a lot of people do it. And in physics is was encouraged that if you had A-levels at least, you ought to do 2nd year entry.
What you've got to remember, is that you're new to the town, university, everything. So whichever you choose will be new and different. :smile:

Nothing counts towards your degree until Junior honours (3rd year - 3000 level modules). However, keep in mind ALL your module grades go on your transcript and this is what employers see. So if they see ****ty marks and a 1st overall they'll probably think you're slacker. Try and work hard for your entire time here, remember, most of you will never do any formal education/take exams again (unless postgrad of course).

Also, with regards to second year entry. Its not too bad, don't worry, you will probably feel overwhelmed in your first semester if you do it. Don't worry, it'll work out in the end. I remember going to my first Chem lecture and thinking holy f***. (Source: Me, ex-direct entrant 2nd year Chemistry).
(edited 12 years ago)
So i'm elated to have finally firmed my conditional offer for Geology! What is the next step from here and what is the deadline for accommodation forms?
Original post by Evan7788
So i'm elated to have finally firmed my conditional offer for Geology! What is the next step from here and what is the deadline for accommodation forms?

The deadline for the accommodation is 31 of May as I remember. And.. yes, I'd want to know, what are the next steps, too. Just studying and getting my qualification or something else, too?
Do we have to have already chosen it as a firm/insurance to apply for a scholarship?

Latest

Trending

Trending