The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
If we win the FA cup, then we'd be there for the community shield too :awesome:

Community Shield is being played at Villa Park this year because of the Olympics.
Hopefully Kelly's knock isn't a serious one otherwise we have no RB and will have to use Carragher at RB and Coates at CB with Skrtel (who was immense today).

Today was probably the first time i've seen Kelly play poorly, him and Downing were terrible on the right flank in the first half.

Spearing had another decent game, kept busy, let Gerrard have more freedom and his passing was generally decent.

Was surprised to see Maxi come off, didn't think he was doing that badly.
Original post by ChrisWilliams
Community Shield is being played at Villa Park this year because of the Olympics.

Disgraceful ¬_¬

Okay fine, if we get there, I have to try and get tickets. My grandparents live 2 minutes walk from Villa Park and I've never been :colondollar:
Disgraceful ¬_¬

Not really, it's been known for 7 years that Wembley will be hosting the Olympic football finals so they've had time to prepare. Can't use the Millenium Stadium either because the 3rd/4th place playoff is being played there.
Reply 4324

Was surprised to see Maxi come off, didn't think he was doing that badly.

Same, maybe to stop him getting him a knock from the dirty stoke players? <--- Leaving in the summer

Today was probably the first time i've seen Kelly play poorly, him and Downing were terrible on the right flank in the first half.

Kelly was poor today. Started to find his feet again towards the end. But that early yellow clearly threw his game, he made too many wayward passes, gifting Stoke possession, therefore confidence. Was annoying to watch. Ergh but it looks like we really don't have a RB for the time being. I just hope Kenny doesn't move Skrtel to RB, I think he'd be more than capable considering how confident he is on the ball nowadays but he is just too great at CB. We'd be losing a valuable asset. Especially with Agger out. Do you know how long he's out for now anyway?

Downing was actually invisible before his goal. Good on him though, well taken goal and has taken us to Wembley for the second time this season. :thumbsup:
Johnson will be back soon, until then Flanno will be able to fill in
Reply 4327
Just hope he's and Suarez's injury isn't too bad.

Agger will be back next week right? hope so. I think he'll possibly be on the bench for the first game, then starting XI again
Reply 4328
What do you guys think of Moses as a backup player if Wigan go down? He'd be cheap and is a bit of a livewire so will be useful if we need to inject some pace into the game.
Reply 4329
Original post by Deshi
What do you guys think of Moses as a backup player if Wigan go down? He'd be cheap and is a bit of a livewire so will be useful if we need to inject some pace into the game.

Haven't seen him much but sounds like a decent shout as a backup. But first and foremost we need to sign some quality 1st teamers.
Reply 4331
Original post by So Instinct

With City, Spurs & Utd after him we're not going to stand a chance with the current position we're in. But I think Cavani's realistic. Actually quite confident we'll sign him.
Original post by Pn94
With City, Spurs & Utd after him we're not going to stand a chance with the current position we're in. But I think Cavani's realistic. Actually quite confident we'll sign him.

How much do you think he'll cost and where do you think the money is going to come from?

Without Champions League football, we do not stand a chance of signing players of Cavani's calibre. There will be dozens of clubs ahead of us in the queue to sign him if he was to ever become available anyway.
Original post by WhatIsAUsername?
How much do you think he'll cost and where do you think the money is going to come from?

Without Champions League football, we do not stand a chance of signing players of Cavani's calibre. There will be dozens of clubs ahead of us in the queue to sign him if he was to ever become available anyway.

I thought this about Suarez. Thankfully I was proved wrong. I thought this about Downing and Enrique/as well tbh. Not that they're even close to the same thing lol.

Maybe if we win the FA cup, the domestic cup double might make us a lot more appealing. Idk, I think moving to us would be the smartest move for Cavani by far. He'd be a guarenteed starter, week in week out. The amount of chances we create guarentees that Cavani will be able to score goals for fun. It'll raise his profile as he will appear the cream of the crop. I.e. Torres or RVP at Arsenal. I'm not sure how to put this in words. A partnership of Suarez and Cavani, with another new signing preferabely a creative midfielder/winger of some sort, we'll be flying. Absolutely flying. Just because we came 6th this season doesn't mean the player has to view us as just that. It's not like we've been out of the CL for 20 years and are just clinging on to our big club status for old times sake. We've been out for 3 seasons, thats including next season, any player who has anything smart about them should know that joining us at this moment in time would be great for their career.

Am I too optimistic? I just know if I was a Cavani/Hazard etc of this world, i'd join Liverpool. Maybe my fandom is clouding my objective reasoning. I don't know.
Reply 4334
Original post by WhatIsAUsername?

£30/35m. We should have that kind of money. Afterall we spent £20m on Downing, £16m on Henderson, £22m on Suarez. Not to mention around £7m each on Coates, Enrique and Adam & we bid around £22m for Jones... the money seems to be there.

I think Suarez can be a major pull, they're reportedly very close. And Dalglish + Clarke were at Chelsea Napoli in midweek. He's the player they were looking at I'd think.
Original post by Pn94

Yeah I had no hopes to sign him, just don't want him to go to Manu. Id be much happier to see him at spurs.
I'm developing a subconscious loathing for them and many of their fans. Part of being a Liverpool supporter I guess.
I sort of have a feeling something will happen in the summer.

Imo we will spend, but I think the owners will make an agreement of partially funding it, e.g. we can spend 70M but we have to generate 20M of it. So I reckon we will offload Maxi, Adam and maybe Carrol. I don't have much faith in Carrol, hese alright but not good enough IMO, we should sell him. We will sell the obv ones too, Aquilani etc.
It seems that way anyway with us spending last season and it being pretty much wasted and with Kenny making some odd decisions like barely playing Maxi, Carrol sitting on the bench a lot. Not sure what's up with Bellamy but I think we could sell him to someone middle table.

That being said if we go for some like Cavani, I really hope it happens. He has a great partnership with Lavvezi, seems worth bringing them both although I don't think we will. Maybe.
If we do go for Cavani, the only reason he will come is for the $$ and Suarez pull. If he comes then we have a big chance of getting Lavezzi too, he will want to stay with Cavani.
That's my opinion anyway. The both of them will be around £35M each.

Sometimes I wish I had an Magic 8 ball, just wanna know what happens arrghh!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4337
Cavani will likely go for for between £40m and £50m, probably closer to the £50m mark as the owner and the city loves him and Cavani loves the city and the supporters. With the way they have taken Cavani to their hearts I really don't see why he would bother making a sideways step to us unless we are willing to make him the highest paid player at our club, easily £150,000+.

If Cavani was to leave it would then be highly unlikely that they would then sell another one of their jewels and it is even more unlikely that we would be able to afford him, as it is very likely he would want at least £100,000 and likely more.

You also have to take in to account that the owner of Napoli really hates English clubs.
Some deluded fans in this thread. :facepalm2:
Original post by So Instinct

Did you honestly think you had a chance with Hazard to begin with? :lolwut: Whoever said Cavani as well, no, just no :facepalm2:

Latest