How is this camera effect achieved?

    • Thread Starter

    (Image now taken down for privacy).

    I've seen this orange/green effect used in a hell of a lot of pictures now. Is this effect built in to a certain program? I'm assuming it is, purely because of the number of times I've seen it used?

    It can be done using an image-editing software, but sometimes a film camera like the Diana is used and it naturally gives that effect.

    A lot of people have iphone apps that do all the same effects so that could be something you're noticing.
    This doesn't look like an iphone image though, so the next thing i'd say is that its been done on photoshop. but you said you've seen it used loads, and most people aren't particularly skilled at photoshop sooooo i'm not really sure! if it was done in photoshop it looks like they've added a navy layer set to exclusion, then added a high opacity orange photo filter :P

    So there is no preset for doing this effect but I know what it is and what you mean. Mainly because ever second person on the internet asks about it. Its called Tone Splitting and you do it by adjusting the tone curve of the image
Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 19, 2012
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What is stopping you from being in a happy relationship?
Useful resources


The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.