The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1660
Original post by oli_G
Same story here ^_^

Ditto! I go to a state school and am the first generation to attend UK university and that's about it really .... Meh better trying than not haha

Original post by Ketchup'n'Mustard
Haha 12!? Wow that's a lot :P Thanks - I don't really know what to expect when I get there but I'm pretty sure there's gonna be a lot of aspiring medics like us lol.
I found out about the event online and then I had to purchase tickets for the event which were pretty cheap (only £5 for school students) so I thought why not? :smile:

Yeah she's hardcore like that sometimes lol yeah should be quite interesting! Tell me if it was any good afterwards :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Guys, what is meant by a 'distinct' 4th AS? and a 'contrasting' subject? I.E would RS count?
Original post by ameelia22
Guys, what is meant by a 'distinct' 4th AS? and a 'contrasting' subject? I.E would RS count?

I think it just means like say... maths, biology, chemistry and art.
So RS would count i'm sure :smile:
Original post by Boom533
SUP mocking bird :wink: You want to do med too? :biggrin:

And sorry I only just logged in after like a week, so I didn't see the message you left me. replyiiingg naaaow ^^

Yep yep! I finally decided on Medicine after getting the Jan results back, I made a promise to myself I would definitely go for it if I did well in them :tongue:
Reply 1664

It would count :smile: I take it you're looking at UCL?

Yep that counts :smile: It just means something not science based :smile:
Reply 1666

distinct and contrasting are different things! Let me explain.

They wouldn't accept you doing further maths and maths at AS, because they wouldn't be considered 'distinct'. Nor would PE and Biology. But they would consider History and Geography as 2 'distinct' AS qualifications.

On the other hand, contrasting means don't have 4 sciences at AS, go for a humanity, go for an Art as well. One contrasting subject is enough for schools that like this.

make sense?
Original post by Pride
distinct and contrasting are different things! Let me explain.

They wouldn't accept you doing further maths and maths at AS, because they wouldn't be considered 'distinct'. Nor would PE and Biology. But they would consider History and Geography as 2 'distinct' AS qualifications.

On the other hand, contrasting means don't have 4 sciences at AS, go for a humanity, go for an Art as well. One contrasting subject is enough for schools that like this.

make sense?

I'm doing 4 sciences at AS - am I likely to be at a disadvantage for UCL?
Reply 1668

yes.

have a look at their requirements though. It's a disadvantage, but it's not be-all. They just state that they prefer a contrasting subject. You'll want to apply according to your strengths so if you've got 4, perhaps imperial would be better, or perhaps you think it's worth the risk. decisions decisions eh?

At a conference, Dr Cross (medical admissions tutor at UCL) said that really it only becomes a disadvantage if you are borderline, there are many people at UCL who did straight science at AS/A2
I'm in S5 in Scotland (I'm 17) at a state school, I don't know how that relates to the English schol system. I'm hoping to apply this summer for 2013 entry.
Original post by Mocking_bird
Yep yep! I finally decided on Medicine after getting the Jan results back, I made a promise to myself I would definitely go for it if I did well in them :tongue:

Ah thats great news :h: how did you do?

Oh yea, you were on the Biol1 thread! How did that end up for you? :smile:
Hey :biggrin: How is everyone?
Original post by erniiee
Ah thats great news :h: how did you do?

Oh yea, you were on the Biol1 thread! How did that end up for you? :smile:

I got 4A's :smile:
(Ums if you're interested...: )

Spoiler

How did you end up doing!
Oo questions for anyone who has done any volunteering in a care home:
I know it will depend on the place but..

How many hours did you when you went/how many days a week?
What kind of things did you do?

:smile:
Original post by AtomicMan
At a conference, Dr Cross (medical admissions tutor at UCL) said that really it only becomes a disadvantage if you are borderline, there are many people at UCL who did straight science at AS/A2

Original post by Pride
yes.

have a look at their requirements though. It's a disadvantage, but it's not be-all. They just state that they prefer a contrasting subject. You'll want to apply according to your strengths so if you've got 4, perhaps imperial would be better, or perhaps you think it's worth the risk. decisions decisions eh?

That doesn't sound too bad. I really want to apply to UCL which is why I asked. I'll probably try to confirm it when I go to the open day on the 26th. Thanks for your help guys :smile:
Reply 1676
Oo questions for anyone who has done any volunteering in a care home:
I know it will depend on the place but..

How many hours did you when you went/how many days a week?
What kind of things did you do?

:smile:

Hi, urm I had 2 week work experience placement at a local care home (which I still nowadays visits frequently - just like the people there :P). I did 9am till 4pm, 5 days a week for 2 weeks and I helped with pretty much everything except for direct contact with the most ill residents and giving out medication obviously: maneuvering the wheelchairs, transporting residents from their room to somewhere else vice versa. I helped with watering the plants, extra activities with the residents, talking to them, organising sherry mornings, made collages for/with them, outdoor activities - tea/biscuit picnic... etcetc thus there are lots of things to do for students like us in a care home! i also did a little concert for them since i can play piano and flute and they really liked it which made me happy :tongue:
I got 4A's :smile:
(Ums if you're interested...: )

Spoiler

How did you end up doing!

Ah congratulations :biggrin:

The Biology grade boundaries were really high as well :eek:

I got 3 As :awesome: UMS are in my sig *ashamed* :tongue:
Original post by erniiee
Ah congratulations :biggrin:

The Biology grade boundaries were really high as well :eek:

I got 3 As :awesome: UMS are in my sig *ashamed* :tongue:

Very well done! :smile: Your UMS is making me jealous :tongue:
Reply 1679
Original post by Pride
yes.

I don't think it's a disadvantage. They just have no preference whether someone does a science a level (other than the two obligatory) or an arts. Remember they area BMAT uni, so obviously think scientific ability is very important.

Latest