The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Patriot
Denver should keep Tebow.

Manning to Tennessee.

Works in favour of both teams that way I think.

Honestly though where do you see Manning ending up, I mean which team has the best chance of signing him?
Reply 3841
If I was a Bronco's fan I would much rather have a healthy Manning, emphasis heavily on a healthy Manning. With that O-Line blocking for him and that talented D you'd be a genuine contender. I mean the AFC West would be yours for a few years. With SD likely losing Tolbert and already lost VJax to my Bucs (:smile:). I mean yeah Tebow was a lot of fun and Tebow Time was all well and good but everyone forgets the Buffalo game at the back end of last year when he was god awful. Not to mention the Pats games x2 (who will be a playoff foe for the next few years at least). I say try and get Manning to the Bronco's and trade Tebow to Jacksonville, they'd love him down there, Gators connection and all.

Manning sweepstakes down to 4 teams reported on PFT, Bronco's, Titans, Cards and Phins.

Bronco's in top 2.

Also in this report it says that Manning considered BMarshall an asset not a headcase he wouldn't want to throw too. That's such a terrible trade, what a pick up for the Bears though, get Cutler a true number 1 and for what, 2 3rd's. Great trade.

Edit: Just seen the post above, I mean there are cases for everywhere. I think Arizona is a little tight on cap room, but Fitz would probably restructure his deal to try and get Manning money. The Titans may offer huge sums, Bud Adams loves Manning and he is a Tennessee legend, gets to play the Colts and Luck twice a year must be enticing. There is arguments for everywhere to be honest. Arizona is a negative because of the NFC connection and Eli but on the other hand its a dome team and has the best reciever on all 4 teams to throw too
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3842
i'm saying it right now

Barring major freak injury, Matt Barkley will have a better pro career than RGIII
and trading up to draft him will cost much less
Denver makes the most sense I think. A young D that is already up there as one of the best units in the game, two solid, if not spectacular, running backs and some decent throwing options means they're already set up for Peyton to win a title or two in his time. With the Chargers losing talent all over the field, the Chiefs inconsistent season-to-season and my Raiders in a huge rebuilding mode (again) the division has got to remind him of the AFC East of several years ago when he was racking up clean sweeps for fun.

I doubt he'd go to Arizona due to them being in the NFC and I don't think Manning is the type of guy to go to the Titans just to beat up on his old team. He's never come across as vindictive like Favre and although I'm sure he'd like to show Irsay he still has plenty left in the tank he'd rather do it in another division. Dolphins I just don't see happening, he would be a good fit there, but for some reason it just doesn't strike me that he'd go there.
Original post by munn
i'm saying it right now

Barring major freak injury, Matt Barkley will have a better pro career than RGIII
and trading up to draft him will cost much less

Barkley is staying in college for another year, so kind of a pointless comparison at this moment in time.

Recent USC QB's have all been flops though, so that might be something to consider.
Reply 3845
Original post by HertsStudent93
Barkley is staying in college for another year, so kind of a pointless comparison at this moment in time.

Recent USC QB's have all been flops though, so that might be something to consider.

it's not really, you have to ask yourself the question, is it worth mortgaging THREE drafts when there's still holes across the board to fill right now (sure they have their franchise QB, but who will he pass the ball to? Santana Moss? Ha! Don't make me laugh, he's done).

As for USC QBs, you can certainly declare that Leinart is a flop, though that should have been obvious from the get-go with his well-documented attitude problems.

Mark Sanchez divides opinion, but he has the second most road-playoff victories of any QB ever, 2 NFC Championship game appearances to his name and a 32-22 record as a starter, and he's only 25. You can't say that he's a flop after just 3 seasons with that kind of record.

Before that there was Carson Palmer, and anyone that calls him a flop is clearly too young to remember that pre-injury he was as good a QB as anyone in the league.

Even Matt Cassell has had a decent career and he attempted a grand total of 33 passes in his 4 years at USC.

And to top all of that off, Barkley has had a better USC career than any of those players.

There's certainly more evidence of USC QBs having greater careers than Baylor QBs anyway...
Reply 3846
Redskins have some options at WR, I mean they signed Garcon who nearly had a 1000 yard season with Painter heaving him the ball. They overpaid severely but what are you going to do. They also got Josh Morgan who's a solid number 3 WR. They are trying to get Eddie Royal tonight as well. So that gives them a receiving core of Moss, Garcon, Morgan, Royal, Gaffney, Armstrong and Banks. It's not elite but it's a decent core group of guys.
Reply 3847
it's decent but no more.
i don't think there's a kendall wright on the roster, and helu is good but ganaway was absolutely bruising for Baylor this year (sleeper draft pick I think, could be a very good pickup in the 4th or later), and I don't think he'll have as good an offense around him at washington as he had at baylor.
he could do a Cam and win games on his own but I don't think he'll be as effective

Ironically they could probably have had Cam for a lot less last season, going by the fact that Atlanta moved up 20 spots from 26 to 6 for 2 firsts, a 2nd and 2 4ths, moving from 10 to 1 would probably have cost similar
Reply 3848
For once in their existence, Bucs are making good moves. This worries me.
Reply 3849
Original post by Mufasaa
For once in their existence, Bucs are making good moves. This worries me.

We're paying over a little, but still it gives us fans optimism. I know championships aren't won in FA just ask the Eagles. Still need to get a linebacker in, Tulloch perhaps.
Reply 3850
Original post by Ben_S
We're paying over a little, but still it gives us fans optimism. I know championships aren't won in FA just ask the Eagles. Still need to get a linebacker in, Tulloch perhaps.

I think at this point Bucs needed a few FAs. They're very talented, IMO, but had very few veterans. They've not gone overboard with the number they've signed and those they have signed make great sense. Bumped a good OLine to a great OLine, added a no.1 receiver to a WR core without one, and added CB depth.

Agree with you about LB, Tulloch or David Hawthorne would be good. Curtis Lofton is apparently asking too much for you (thankfully, he's very underrated IMO and losing him to another NFC South team would be painful).
On the surface, I like the Bucs' moves, they seem to deal with a few areas of need. However, if Freeman plays like he did last year instead of 2 years ago, it won't have a great effect bringing in a guy like VJax. When Miami brought in Marshall 2 years ago, it was supposed to send Miami over the top, providing him with a reliable no.1 go-to-guy. But, it doesn't matter though if your QB doesn't produce. He's shown he can be great and I really really hope Freeman does well as I like the Bucs, but he's really gotta step up now.

That said, i'm also wary for them that the top teams don't typically use free agency. How many big splashes have the Packers, Giants, Patriots, Steelers, Ravens etc done in the last few years? One red flag about some (not all) players in Free Agency is that they seem to want money more than wins (Anyone remember Welker saying that about Asante Samuels?). I'd just rather build through the draft.

But yeah, it's all about the QB. Big splashes in free agency on QBs can be successful (Brees, Gannon etc) because of the effect a QB can have, not many other positions can do merit that kind of spending for my mind. If Freeman picks up, it'll look like good business. If not, the team won't do so well, and it won't seem so good. I hate to put so much on one positions, but it's a passing league nowadays and cases like the 49ers last year are rare.
Reply 3852
Yeah I know what your saying, championships are never won in FA and the Steelers and Packers repeatedly build through the draft, but we needed a major roster upgrade and some veteran leadership, like has already been stated. We had the youngest squad in the league by some distance and adding more rookies would leave us devoid of leadership. I like the moves by the franchise and I like Freeman's chances of reverting back to the form of two years ago. I mean he gets to work with Bill Sheridan who was QB coach at NYG and that worked out well and he gets a full off-season instead of a truncated off-season due to the lockout last year. Furthermore, with VJax, maybe he won't go to Winslow time and time again in the redzone which became so obvious and repetitive and led to several turnovers. I mean two years ago his TD/INT ratio was 25:6 which was one of the best in the league. It's all about establishing a solid run game too, too many games last year we didn't do so early enough, and then we fell behind so it was neglected enough. I'm also looking at Tolbert to complement Blount as a recieving/blocking back seeing as Blount hasn't shown much out of the back field.

Edit: Bucs beat writer tweeted that Dominik said it looks like we are done in FA and focusing on the draft now. Could still pick up a solid roster player or two i'd imagine
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by rural_boy
Honestly though where do you see Manning ending up, I mean which team has the best chance of signing him?

Tennessee.

Manning seems like a homer to me. He's from Tenessee, and would love to go back. Plus he wants to win, and Tennessee is far more title ready than Denver.
hey guys, just got a question for ya's

what is the difference between the NFC and the AFC in terms of ability?

Is there any difference in terms of offensive strategy, defensive statistics or anything like that?
Original post by Stevo112
hey guys, just got a question for ya's

what is the difference between the NFC and the AFC in terms of ability?

Is there any difference in terms of offensive strategy, defensive statistics or anything like that?

None at all. The rules are all the same.

The names are a throwback to the 60's when two competing leagues, the National Football League (which was older) and the American Football League merged; they'd started the superbowl 3 years earlier and the winners of each league represented their respective league in the game. When the merger took place, Pittsburgh and someone else moved over to make the numbers equal. The AFC and NFC names are thus purely historical.

Baseball does have differing rules between the AL and NL.
Original post by Idris Dragon
None at all. The rules are all the same.

The names are a throwback to the 60's when two competing leagues, the National Football League (which was older) and the American Football League merged; they'd started the superbowl 3 years earlier and the winners of each league represented their respective league in the game. When the merger took place, Pittsburgh and someone else moved over to make the numbers equal. The AFC and NFC names are thus purely historical.

Baseball does have differing rules between the AL and NL.

So you would say that there is nothing to distinguish them from each other?

Maybe one league has better coaches, or a greater tendancy to play a better offensive game? etc
:sigh: Another year with Matt Moore at QB...
Original post by OxfordGoBrach
:sigh: Another year with Matt Moore at QB...

Could still get Alex Smith!
Original post by mobius323
Could still get Alex Smith!

He's basically the same as Matt Moore on last season's numbers. The 49ers did well only because he played a low risk passing game so he had few interceptions but also not great passing stats too, their coaching, running game and defense were far more important to their success. If they get Manning they'll be incredible.

Back to Smith, I've heard even he doesn't really want to come to Miami - only if Peyton goes to SF. Even then we'll have to overpay for an average QB, it sucks. Steelers safety Ryan Clark said nobody wants to come to Miami, and that's true, our GM Jeff Ireland seems to be incredibly unpopular, and it's costing us from attracting good players, when actually there are a fair few good pieces on the team. Just not the piece that matters most, QB.

We've traded away our best receiver, missed out on Manning, and then Flynn, then we're going for an average QB in Smith and as another option David Garrard, who turned us down already once in the middle of the season as a free agent. It could've been a good offseason but it's been awful so far. Only good thing to happen was the new coaching staff, but it won't mean much with the lack of weapons on offense.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest