The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by minimarshmallow
Do you have any evidence that social services would remove a child from a parent who was perfectly capable of looking after themselves (and presumably also the baby) because they had learning difficulties? Because that seems incredibly unlikely.

I have a friend with a learning disability / developmental disorder. He said that the visits from social services are to ensure that they (him and his wife) can look after their son; rather than trying to do what they can to take their child away from them. The son and his wife also have some form of disability too.

I have no concrete proof, no, but there have been plenty of stories in the press.

Those stories are the minority.
Original post by Elissabeth
You said it was peoples own fault for having AIDS because most of them had unprotected sex to get it.

This has nothing to do with benefits.

Original post by OU Student
I have a friend with a learning disability / developmental disorder. He said that the visits from social services are to ensure that they (him and his wife) can look after their son; rather than trying to do what they can to take their child away from them. The son and his wife also have some form of disability too.

I know, I agree with you.

Those stories are the minority.

This looks like you've quoted me as using minority cases as evidence, when it is Elissabeth who has done that. Just making sure that's clear to anyone else
Original post by Elissabeth
Well, if you feel bad because you were bullied, why didn't you just pick on someone else to make yourself feel better?

Fat children are fair game, as far as most people are concerned, because they could just go on a diet if they don't want to be picked on.

Or there are always dyslexic/learning difficulty children.

What are you on about. Since when did hurting other people's feelings make you feel better about yourself? It just makes you look like a dried up, bitter, awful person that nobody wants to be friends with in the end.

"Fat" people as you so courteously put it do not suddenly decide to lose weight because one sad kid is picking on them, otherwise they would do it on their own free will. I doubt most children with weight issues are happy with the situation they are in once made aware of the risks being overweight carries; to have kids teasing them for it won't solve anything.

As for picking on dyslexic people or people with learning difficulties... how utterly tragic your life must be if you think that's acceptable.

Latest

Trending

Trending