The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Good Idea?

I'm thinking about applying for university (again). I originally applied to start in 2010, but ended up taking a few years out, in which time I have started working, as I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do. I think I would like to do what I originally applied for, which was Biomedical Science, but as I wouldn't be able to start until 2013 now, I would really like to do some courses in the meantime. I'm thinking about doing SK277: Human Biology (30 credits) or SK185: Molecules, medicines and drugs: a chemical story (10 credits) and/or SK195: Human genetics and health issues (10 credits). Does this sound like a good idea?
Reply 1
If you can afford the modules (fees are about to go up significantly, and if you take out a loan now then it may have an impact on funding for your Biomedical Science degree), and you have the time and motivation to study now, then I can't see how it would be a bad thing! :smile:

I don't know the start dates of those modules but if they begin in May so you can still get in under the cheaper transitional fees, you should probably give the OU a call to make sure the modules still have space available as I think a lot of people are signing up to May modules in order to take advantage of transitional fees. If they don't begin until September then you'll be on the new fee scheme unless you're already studying and already fit into the transitional fee criteria.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Kate.
If you can afford the modules (fees are about to go up significantly, and if you take out a loan now then it may have an impact on funding for your Biomedical Science degree), and you have the time and motivation to study now, then I can't see how it would be a bad thing! :smile:

I don't know the start dates of those modules but if they begin in May so you can still get in under the cheaper transitional fees, you should probably give the OU a call to make sure the modules still have space available as I think a lot of people are signing up to May modules in order to take advantage of transitional fees. If they don't begin until September then you'll be on the new fee scheme unless you're already studying and already fit into the transitional fee criteria.

The 10 credit ones start in May and they're only about £170 each :biggrin: They're still showing up as being open to registration on the website, so I think I'll register now just in case!
Reply 3
I did SK195 at the beginning of year 13 and I absolutely loved it! Was thoroughly enjoyable :smile: and I passed it woohoo

Quick Reply

Latest