The Student Room Group

Peninsula dentistry. . 2011 /2012

Who has been accepted to study at peninsula this september? If so. . What background / qualifications/ experiences have you got and when did you have interviews receive offers?

Also, Who is looking to apply to peninsula for 2012 ?

Current peninsula students what background do you have, and how are you finding the course?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm starting at Peninsula this September. I have a 1st degree in human biosciences from Uni Plymouth and about 3 weeks of varied work experience. I was interviewed just before Christmas 2010 and recieved my offer mid way through January 2011.

Have you applied this year or thinking of applying next year?
Reply 2
I'm applying for next year, I have BSc 1st dental technology and i am a qualified dental nurse.

Did you go to the open day ?

It's the only place I want go to.

Any advice?

Thanks for the reply x x x
Reply 3
I didn't go to the open day, seeing it only on the day of my interview. It was lovely though - beautiful buildings and a picturesque place. It's just the location that puts me off. Does anyone not feel the same way?
Reply 4
I'm applying for 2012 entry. I'm currently self employed in IT but also have some teaching background. I have a 2:1 BSc Psychology from Reading from years ago and am currently on a predicted 1st for a Natural Sciences degree (mostly chem/bio) from the Open Uni.
Have 3 weeks work exp in general practice and am going to try to sort out a further week in a hospital.

Also, I'm from Cornwall and have a family so Peninsula is my only choice. Fingers crossed!
Reply 5
Guys... Peninsula is an awesome university to study dentistry, i'm there atm, about to complete my first year, the staff are wonderful, they treat you as their equals and the course itself is great.. the university facilities are brand new and unrivaled. the city isn't that bad there are some really nice places to chill out, and weather in spring/summer is AMAZING! for anyone start in 2011/12 please can you join the facebook group...

Peninsula Dental School Entry 2011/2012

see you in september!!!
Reply 6
Nice to find some people who got into Peninsula to start 2011 :smile:
I have already joined the facebook group but doesnt seem to help to find ppl who got in. I'm really excited about starting, trying to sort out my accommodation early. Anyone else who have sorted that out yet? Any particular cluster flats to avoid???
Moving down from London, so having a nice place to live will help.....
Reply 7
Original post by Optimistic

Original post by Optimistic
Nice to find some people who got into Peninsula to start 2011 :smile:
I have already joined the facebook group but doesnt seem to help to find ppl who got in. I'm really excited about starting, trying to sort out my accommodation early. Anyone else who have sorted that out yet? Any particular cluster flats to avoid???
Moving down from London, so having a nice place to live will help.....

where are looking into for accommodation?
Reply 8
Hi.
I got into Peninsula to do dentistry this year and also very excited! I am living at home as I live half an hour from Plymouth but hoping to move nearer later on. Did you have a relevant degree or did you have to take the GAMSAT?
Also, sorry for the questions but have you decided to get any textbooks yet as I got the list the other day and it's looking very expensive!!! I have looked and looked and can't find any feedback from existing students which I was hoping for. Hope you've had some luck on the accomodation front!
Reply 9
Hey, I had a relevant degree so I didnt take a test or anything. What did you do? I havent decided to get any books as yet as I was thinking to ask 2nd year students about any books when I move down. I believe the 'oxford dental handbook' is meant to be like the bible at uni, so that would be a handy book to buy. I'm planning to head down tomorrow actually to snoop around and I have scheduled some viewings. Hopefully I end up either in halls or in shared houses near the uni. What did you do prior to this? See you in september :smile:
Reply 10
also starting in september, going to live in mary newman halls
where are you guys going to stay and where do you stay now?
Reply 11
Hey all, im applying to Peninsula for 2012 entry - im a bit nervous about my application, most people who have applied seem to be from science backgrounds. I have a BSc(1st) in Adult Nursing and been an ICU nurse for the last 3 years but i dont know if thats enough?! Im spending some time with a dentist who works in an emergency clinic as well as some experience in a dental practice before i apply - how much dental experience do you think they look for?! Oh i hate the whole application process..its such an scary time!!!
Original post by gibsoni10

Original post by gibsoni10
Hey all, im applying to Peninsula for 2012 entry - im a bit nervous about my application, most people who have applied seem to be from science backgrounds. I have a BSc(1st) in Adult Nursing and been an ICU nurse for the last 3 years but i dont know if thats enough?! Im spending some time with a dentist who works in an emergency clinic as well as some experience in a dental practice before i apply - how much dental experience do you think they look for?! Oh i hate the whole application process..its such an scary time!!!

We're in the same boaT gibsoni10!! I've also applied to Peninsula and hopefully my 12 years experience in Ortho trauma+ few other bits and bops will see me in. Good luck anyway, hope will meet during interviews ( that's if it ever happens- LOL)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by nyoni
also starting in september, going to live in mary newman halls
where are you guys going to stay and where do you stay now?

Any tips re:u:cas PS/ interview please nyoni??
Reply 14
Hi africancowboy, im glad someone else is in the same boat - i havent seen any other health professionals applying let alone nurses! Are you replying to any other unis incase peninsula falls through?! Im sitting the UKCAT on wed and applying to two unis in london..more keen to go to peninsula but just incase.. Yeah fingers crossed we can see each other at the interviews, if it gets that far!!
This may seem daft but I'm basing whether I apply to Peninsula on what time of the day they have their interview! I have to get from the North of Scotland to Plymouth and back within a day. OUCH! I ask mainly because the sleeper+ service would get me in at 10:46am on the day of interview and I'd expect to be on my train home at 5:23pm!

Hope to hear good news!
Reply 16
Could you not just stay in a travelodge the night before?
I'll be sleeping on the train. It's a long trip down from North Scotland!

Anyway, I've realised that it's too costly for me to try for England. Scots get nowhere near the support English students get. I'm sure it the other way round for you. OH WELL!
Reply 18
Original post by Fire Point
I'll be sleeping on the train. It's a long trip down from North Scotland!

Anyway, I've realised that it's too costly for me to try for England. Scots get nowhere near the support English students get. I'm sure it the other way round for you. OH WELL!

Having seen your profile / background, I can't say I'll be missing the competition :biggrin:
Reply 19
I'm applying to peninsula too its my only choice ! really scared as its my only application.

i have a 1st bsc dental technology and i am a qualified dental nurse so i have loads of experience and have a doctor of periodontology writing my personal statement.

fingers crossed, can any one suggest any further advice about what extra i can do etc ?

Quick Reply

Latest