The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This is the most *******ated conversation in the history of this thread.
Those conversations are born wherever Dalek1099 posts. :pierre:

On topic of Benedict, I can't decide whether he should be the next Master or Doctor.
Original post by Dalek1099
you obviously haven't understood .This link:http://www.listal.com/list/top-20-scifi-villians might help.

I'm no expert on English grammar, but if I correctly understand what you are saying, I don't believe you are correct. Your post which I have quoted below says that "villains are singular", and therefore refers to a single creature and not a group of creatures. However if you look at the link you provided in the quote below it says that villains is the plural of villain and therefore refers to a group of creatures. So a Dalek would be a Villain, and the Daleks would be villains (plural of villain as there is more than one Dalek being refered to).

Original post by Dalek1099
Definition: http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&q=villain&tbs=dfn:1&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=bdhTT5zRDsfY8QPm3cTwBQ&sqi=2&ved=0CCkQkQ4&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=3b6b42e17dd83c7b&biw=1163&bih=848

Villains are singular evil-Villains of Doctor Who would be Davros,the master etc but not daleks and silurians.

Anyway, back to my original question, is there any particular enemies from the classic series, who have not yet appeared in the new series, you would like to see return?
Original post by Invisible Man

Anyway, back to my original question, is there any particular enemies from the classic series, who have not yet appeared in the new series, you would like to see return?

I would have said some evil female timelord (Rani) but we have already had River who is halfway there. I'd quite like to see the Valeyard make an appearance (which in some sense would be the return of the Dream Lord).
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I would have said some evil female timelord (Rani) but we have already had River who is halfway there. I'd quite like to see the Valeyard make an appearance (which in some sense would be the return of the Dream Lord).

How about a Rani and Valeyard alliance?

On topic of Benedict, I can't decide whether he should be the next Master or Doctor.

Master. Doctor is too close a character to Sherlock, so I don't see any point in it.
Original post by Invisible Man
I'm no expert on English grammar, but if I correctly understand what you are saying, I don't believe you are correct. Your post which I have quoted below says that "villains are singular", and therefore refers to a single creature and not a group of creatures. However if you look at the link you provided in the quote below it says that villains is the plural of villain and therefore refers to a group of creatures. So a Dalek would be a Villain, and the Daleks would be villains (plural of villain as there is more than one Dalek being refered to).

Yes,they but what i mean is in a villains contest,their would be loads of singular villains.
Reply 7407
does anyone actually care what the technical difference between a monster and a villain is?

in my head I just think of monsters as things that are animal like and villains as enemies that are more intelligent and could be thought of as evil people.

I didn't realise there was a strict definition worth arguing over
Original post by boba
does anyone actually care what the technical difference between a monster and a villain is?

in my head I just think of monsters as things that are animal like and villains as enemies that are more intelligent and could be thought of as evil people.

There isn't. I wouldn't worry about it.
Some people have nothing better to do in life..
Original post by MarshyMallowyFace!
Some people have nothing better to do in life..

there isn't much (bold text) than Doctor Who -so i understand completely.
Reply 7411
Original post by boba

I was thinking, and I thought about aliens on Doctor Who that were both. I immediately thought of the Macra, as in the old series they were reasonable intelligent and were then villains. In the new series, they had devolved and were animalistic and they were focused on surviving, so then they were monsters.
Reply 7412
Tbh, not feeling Benedict as the Doctor (too close to Sherlock) or the Master. The latter might be due to me loving John Simm's portrayal a lot and feeling that the next actor to play him should be much older. If I had it my way Terrence Hardiman (The Demon Headmaster) IS the Master, just utterly terrifying. Shame it'll never happen though...
Reply 7413
Original post by jack/ten
Tbh, not feeling Benedict as the Doctor (too close to Sherlock) or the Master. The latter might be due to me loving John Simm's portrayal a lot and feeling that the next actor to play him should be much older. If I had it my way Terrence Hardiman (The Demon Headmaster) IS the Master, just utterly terrifying. Shame it'll never happen though...

I think it would be great if Matt Smith's era's Master was old (if John Simm doesn't return) and so is a behind-the-scenes kind of guy.
Reply 7414
Looks like Series 7 will have a Western epidsode:
419039_411457088868324_127031120644257_1771027_207482512_n.jpg
Original post by Yoghurt

and the return(?) of Amy Pond in it.
Original post by Yoghurt

where did you get that picture from?-i knew they were going to film a western episode in Spain but i haven't seen that picture before.Its currently titled The Gunslingers,is episode 3 and is wrote by Toby Whithouse.

Benedict Cumberbatch should be the Master next. I believe the next Doctor should be Rupert Penry-Jones, I seriously reccomend people watch Whitechapel, his performance in it is very Doctor-esque in my eyes and very good!
Reply 7418
The new Doctor Who Companion will be announced tomorrow. Excited doesn't cut it. :biggrin:
Original post by jack/ten
The new Doctor Who Companion will be announced tomorrow. Excited doesn't cut it. :biggrin:

Still from now until the new companions first episode is shown, all of the actors previous TV work will be scrutinised and everyone will be debating whether it was a good choice. Until we see a clip of them in character in action, I'm going to withhold my judgement.

Latest