The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9200
Original post by DylanLJG
You got rejected! Damn

Yeah, I think I agree with you. Bath seemed like a much nicer place, but Warwick does have a slightly better reputation.

I'll have to think about it...

I think my GCSEs let me down, Warwick don't seem to have as sophisticated admissions system as everywhere else, for example they don't seem to have considered UMS marks and seem to place a lot of weighting on GCSEs.

It is easy to get swallowed up in this whole reputation thing in our circumstances but if you look at it objectively and think about what difference that reputation will make to your life it seems to blur into insignificance.
Unsuccessful from Warwick.
Original post by DylanLJG
Haven't been on here for a while...

Got an offer from Warwick just now though, A*AAa, only six months after sending off my application.

Now to decide. :hmmmm: Still tempted to go for Bath.

Warwick's part of the elusive top unis for econ (well according to TSR) and considered up there with LSE and Cambridge.. Would you reject LSE/Camb for Bath?
Original post by Tateco
I think my GCSEs let me down, Warwick don't seem to have as sophisticated admissions system as everywhere else, for example they don't seem to have considered UMS marks and seem to place a lot of weighting on GCSEs.

It is easy to get swallowed up in this whole reputation thing in our circumstances but if you look at it objectively and think about what difference that reputation will make to your life it seems to blur into insignificance.

I am sorry to hear that you got rejected. You're really not having much luck this year... And yes, Warwick has a weird admission system. They have rejected so many top candidates. And you're right: The reputation does matter, but not to the extent TSR users think. Bath is excellent and if UCL does not work out (I am really hoping that you'll get one!) then Bath is a very good choice. And if you want to get a Master's, your undergrad uni won't matter at all.

Original post by -Illmatic-

I am also very sorry to hear that because I know you really wanted to go there :frown: But screw them, you'll be happy at another place :smile: Have you got all your decisions already?
Reply 9204

Join the club :smile:
Original post by nightmare91

I am also very sorry to hear that because I know you really wanted to go there :frown: But screw them, you'll be happy at another place :smile: Have you got all your decisions already?

Nah its fine, I guess. Weirdly motivating as well...perhaps I'll firm Bristol now, I dont know. Thanks man, you're a nice guy :cookie:
Original post by funkydee
Warwick's part of the elusive top unis for econ (well according to TSR) and considered up there with LSE and Cambridge.. Would you reject LSE/Camb for Bath?

Definitely

Honestly the "top unis" don't really appeal to me as much. I'd prefer somewhere more relaxed where I can enjoy myself.
Original post by Tateco
I think I would have chosen Bath over Warwick, it's easy to say not being in that position personally but the more I looked at Warwick the more I regretted applying (before I got rejected).

I called Bristol over Warwick before I got rejected :biggrin:
Original post by thegenius31416
I called Bristol over Warwick before I got rejected :biggrin:

Thats true. It's a firm then?

Also, cant believe they rejected you :confused:
Nah its fine, I guess. Weirdly motivating as well...perhaps I'll firm Bristol now, I dont know. Thanks man, you're a nice guy :cookie:

Look, at Warwick there was a chance of a year abroad in Germany but supposedly it's quite competitive. At Bristol however, definite year of chilling in Hannover :biggrin: I think it'll work out for the best :smile:
Thats true. It's a firm then?

Also, cant believe they rejected you :confused:

Will firm it as soon as I've seen Edinburgh (which will most likely be insurance but not going to decide until I've been there).

I don't know why they did, I don't really mind. Would have been nice to have all 5 offers though (for bragging rights xD). My grades/subjects are EXACTLY the same as MoiraClaire, who got an offer. Maybe due to my personal statement having too much about year abroad which isn't definite there? Maybe my PS and reference just weren't any good but I thought they were... (and according to teachers too).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9211

Sorry to hear that :frown:
Reply 9212
Original post by Tateco
I think I would have chosen Bath over Warwick, it's easy to say not being in that position personally but the more I looked at Warwick the more I regretted applying (before I got rejected).

Oh come on now, Bath has a very good economics course but Warwick is a class above your bristols/durhams/nottinghams etc
Original post by somaiyar
Oh come on now, Bath has a very good economics course but Warwick is a class above your bristols/durhams/nottinghams etc

There are more reasons to pick a university than just the reputation of the course...

:hugs: :frown:
Reply 9215
Original post by somaiyar

Yes but Warwick has a lot more drawbacks than the rest of the top 5 (in my opinion) and the universities you listed do have their positive points. Everyone has their own personal preference at the end of the day.
Offer from Warwick with one A* at GCSE. Seems like I break the mould here but commiseration to everyone who did not receive the offers they were looking for
Reply 9217
Original post by bonana567
Offer from Warwick with one A* at GCSE. Seems like I break the mould here but commiseration to everyone who did not receive the offers they were looking for

Ah the exception to the rule. The guy that is used to tempt people like us to apply. lol. Congrats nevertheless.
Original post by Moiraclaire
Wellington ? then yes :smile:

Yeah it was :colondollar:

Sorry to hear man :frown:
Original post by bonana567

Well done! :biggrin: Seems like they're not just focused on GCSE's....

Latest

Trending

Trending