The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm the one hoping that Warwick really do look at gcse's, mine are decent whereas my a2 predictions are average (probably lower than average compared to TSR :P )

6 months and 2 weeks since I applied, I'm assuming I'm on a maybe list. Or forgotten. 8)
Original post by bonana567
Offer from Warwick with one A* at GCSE. Seems like I break the mould here but commiseration to everyone who did not receive the offers they were looking for

Well done:biggrin:
Offer from Warwick, which has slightly thrown a spanner in the works as I absolutely loved Durham open day.
Original post by DylanLJG
Definitely

Honestly the "top unis" don't really appeal to me as much. I'd prefer somewhere more relaxed where I can enjoy myself.

Well to each their own I guess! LSE was naturally my 1st choice after I got my Cambridge rejection...

My reason for uni is to get the best possible education I can get especially for £27K and to not limit my initial opportunities when I graduate :smile: as well as having a dece student experience ofc :wink:
Original post by Tateco
Sorry to hear that :frown:

Original post by roseroserose.
:hugs: :frown:

Thanks guys :smile:
Original post by jamiepango

Sorry to hear man :frown:

It's cool man :smile:

thegenius31416
X

Yeah I agree about the year abroad thing. How many people will be on our course, do you know? I dont know if I'm committed enough to pursue a language on top of a demanding economics course...hmmm
Original post by JuKaMy
I think you could get by on the AS, mostly because you have good subjects. Doing up to A2 would obviously increases your chances by showing the universities that you are willing to put in extra work to meet their expectation - even if not a concrete requirement.

Also if you explain this pick up of further maths as a 'limited' challenge from standard maths then it could be a real bonus on your personal statement.

But really you need to decide on the risk/payoff whether to do just AS or A2.

Yh that makes sense, although i doubt further maths will be easy.. If I do it I think I will do it up to A2 as will have a year free anyway. Thanks for your advice
Original post by jacky23
have you applied this year though? if so, where have you applied and presumably been rejected from?

No this current cycle I applied to medicine.. got 4 rejections so conflicted between my pasiion which is economics and what other people want me to do and which would guarantee me employment and a stable(although not too high) income (medicine) :smile:
Original post by -Illmatic-

Yeah I agree about the year abroad thing. How many people will be on our course, do you know? I dont know if I'm committed enough to pursue a language on top of a demanding economics course...hmmm

I remember seeing a statistic from a couple of years back (the department might have expanded since then) but for L101, they had 15 places, so not a lot. Then you've got to split that between the counties so I guess probably 5 to Germany or something? As I said before though, they don't have those statistics up on the website anymore.
Original post by usamakhanlodhi
Yh that makes sense, although i doubt further maths will be easy.. If I do it I think I will do it up to A2 as will have a year free anyway. Thanks for your advice

If it helps, I am a gap year student who already has decent A levels and, despite doing the full A2 FM this year, all my offers are unconditional.
Reply 9230
Original post by usamakhanlodhi
No this current cycle I applied to medicine.. got 4 rejections so conflicted between my pasiion which is economics and what other people want me to do and which would guarantee me employment and a stable(although not too high) income (medicine) :smile:

Really? Go with your passion by all means, but don't do it for the money, because you could end up being disappointed.
Reply 9231
Original post by LiberiFatali
Save making an entire thread about it, does anyone know if a rejection from LSE is game over for the following year? As in, are re-applicants automatically rejected even if their application is vastly better this time around?

I've been to a few open days from my offers, but really I'm not too keen on them. I would rather wait back another year and reapply to LSE as well as a few other universities I didn't list the first time.

I reapplied after getting kicked out of University. I reapplied to LSE and UCL this year and got in for Economics & Geography. I got rejected by them during my first UCAS application. So do not be disheartened and go for it if you th ink you can achieve the place.
By the way, has anyone heard from St. Andrews? I am not really keen on going there anyway but I've been wondering whether they have started to give out offers to EU/Home applicants... I will hear from LSE within the next 8 days but then I definetely want to put down my firm and (if I get a second offer) my insurance. I don't want to keep waiting for a uni I don't want to go to anyway. I should have applied to Bath or Bristol instead :tongue:
Reply 9233
Original post by member910132
If it helps, I am a gap year student who already has decent A levels and, despite doing the full A2 FM this year, all my offers are unconditional.

Are you pleased you had a gap year? What did you do in it?
Original post by Tateco
Are you pleased you had a gap year? What did you do in it?

Definitely !!
The other option would have been to go to uni through clearing, there is nothing wrong with that of course, but I had like 2A*+ so I wanted to give the top uni's another shot.
I have offers from Bath, UCL and am waiting on LSE so I think ti definitely worked out!!
Academically I just did A2 FM, other then that: I have just been chilling :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 9235
Definitely !!
The other option would have been to go to uni through clearing, there is nothing wrong with that of course, but I had like 2A*+ so I wanted to give the top uni's another shot.
I have offers from Bath, UCL and am waiting on LSE so I think ti definitely worked out!!
Academically I just did A2 FM, other then that: I have just been chilling :biggrin::biggrin:

I'm glad you think that as I am currently considering it with the possibility of not having anything major to do except maybe A2 further maths. Did you learn it independently and where did you sit the exams? Where did you have offers from before deciding to take a gap year and where did you apply this time? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to make this difficult decision for myself at the moment! :colondollar:
Original post by Tateco
I'm glad you think that as I am currently considering it with the possibility of not having anything major to do except maybe A2 further maths. Did you learn it independently and where did you sit the exams? Where did you have offers from before deciding to take a gap year and where did you apply this time? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to make this difficult decision for myself at the moment! :colondollar:

You are right, this is a crucial decision and not an easy one. For me though, the decision wasn't mine; 5 rejections from the top 5 uni's for econ so I had no choice. After the rejections I faced two choices, try my luck in clearing or no-life my exams to get the best grades possible (got 3A*A) and reapply next year. I had the added pressure of deciding between going the last year and paying £3k fees or this year and £9k. I decided to no-life my exams and got good grades. I reapplied to the exact same uni's except I replaced the lowest of the previous five with Bath.
I could have done A2 FM at my school but I decided to self-teach and just sit the exams at my school.
Reply 9237
You are right, this is a crucial decision and not an easy one. For me though, the decision wasn't mine; 5 rejections from the top 5 uni's for econ so I had no choice. After the rejections I faced two choices, try my luck in clearing or no-life my exams to get the best grades possible (got 3A*A) and reapply next year. I had the added pressure of deciding between going the last year and paying £3k fees or this year and £9k. I decided to no-life my exams and got good grades. I reapplied to the exact same uni's except I replaced the lowest of the previous five with Bath.
I could have done A2 FM at my school but I decided to self-teach and just sit the exams at my school.

Thanks for the reply, glad something worked out for you this time :smile:
Original post by Tateco
Thanks for the reply, glad something worked out for you this time :smile:

Yea, I am very thankful. I mean this time last year I had 5 rejections and thought my future was lost, now I have an offer from UCL and am hopeful on LSE !
Reply 9239
Yea, I am very thankful. I mean this time last year I had 5 rejections and thought my future was lost, now I have an offer from UCL and am hopeful on LSE !

Exactly! Do you think GCSEs might have been a factor with Warwick not working out this time either?

Latest

Trending

Trending