The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2140
My college offer (Brasenose) had a deadline to accept it by April 1. I asked them to extend it up to 1st of June so that i can learn about the outcome of scholarships i applied for before making any decision. They agreed. In reply of my recent query i just have received an email from the only possible scholarship left for me and they clearly said the final decisions will be made in August !!!!! So i am in trouble . Should i request for another extension of my college offer??? Also wondering whether they would agree to extend it that late......:frown:
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2141
Original post by neuro11
My college offer (Brasenose) had a deadline to accept it by April 1. I asked them to extend it up to 1st of June so that i can learn about the outcome of scholarships i applied for before making any decision. They agreed. In reply of my recent query i just have received an email from the only possible scholarship left for me and they clearly said the final decisions will be made in August !!!!! So i am in trouble . Should i request for another extension of my college offer??? Also wondering whether they would agree to extend it that late......:frown:

You can accept the offer for now and wait for the outcome of the funding. Do you have to pay certain amount of money once you accept the offer?
Reply 2142
Original post by kikkoman
For the Engineering folk, the Graduate office is closed this week so I wouldn't expect to see any movement until next Monday.

Thanks for the information.
Just got the offer for MSt in Oriental Studies! :smile:

However:

a) No word on funding
b) They specified an impossible condition in the letter. Specifically, they require me to pass my current Bsc with GPA=3.75, even though my transcript clearly shows that my current GPA is 3.57 and have one course left to graduate, thus making it mathematically impossible to go from 3.57 to 3.75 even if I were to take additional courses (which I can't).

Please let me know if this could be a typo? Would they set an impossible condition on purpose? Isn't it easier just to wait-list me rather than bother sending me an offer.

I sent them reply right away and now waiting for their answer.

Thanks guys!:smile:
Wow this post made my day. So glad to know someone else in my strand suffering too!!!!

We can keep each other company in our misery.

Haha yes I share your pain!

I actually caved in today too and rang the admissions department and asked when our pathway would be likely to hear anything... the very polite lady said 'should be by the end of this week or latest next week', and we will be contacted by LETTER (not email, apparently), and that it will inform us if we've been nominated for funding.

So... nothing we didn't know already, basically!! *sigh*
Reply 2145
Original post by happyphoenix

I actually caved in today too and rang the admissions department and asked when our pathway would be likely to hear anything... the very polite lady said 'should be by the end of this week or latest next week', and we will be contacted by LETTER (not email, apparently), and that it will inform us if we've been nominated for funding.

I was told exactly the same thing last week by the history department!
Reply 2146
Original post by happyphoenix

Oh my god kill me! Glad to har an ETA though!
Original post by Athena
You need to call/write to them and explain that it's impossible for you to achieve that GPA, and ask if they will reconsider your offer. They may not have realised they've made an impossible offer.

That's what I'm hoping also. I already sent an e-mail detailing my concern. Hopefully, they'll be lenient.

Thanks everyone!
Original post by MagLatus
Eventually got that letter this morning with a conditional offer for the MSt in General Linguistics & Comparative Philology, yeey! The conditions are a little vague though "A very good result in your current degree." - did anybody see that phrase before and can enlighten me upon how good "very good" is for the purposes of this?

Is that actual formal paper letter, or an email?
I got an email and it is also very vague, but the actual offer letter will follow in about 2 weeks and will spell everything out.
Reply 2149
Original post by chipper
I applied for 1800-1914. I haven't heard of anyone hearing for it yet? I was really hoping they'd send International people emails since I'm randomly in Switzerland this week and don't fancy finding out bad news via phone! Ugh. Trying to de IDE of its better to not know and wonder all week or if I should try to enquire, put myself out of this misery and ruin my vacation. I'll probably end up waiting it out but it's killing me.

did you specifically request to have your decision have sent to you by email? When I called the english grad admissions a while back they said I should email them with a request to have it emailed to me (which they did), so I'm afraid if you haven't done that it may be snail mail for you :/

you could still email them now though, chances are they're quite slow at sorting though the piles and wouldn't mind shooting you a quick email...
Did any MPhil in IR applicant receive an offer?

Hope I can get offer letter this week, it will boost my chance of getting a scholarship
Reply 2151
For the Engineering folk, the Graduate office is closed this week so I wouldn't expect to see any movement until next Monday.

where did you get that information ?
Reply 2152
Original post by daniebae
where did you get that information ?

The wonderful instrument that is the telephone. Feel free to phone if you don't want to believe a stranger on the internet
Reply 2153
The wonderful instrument that is the telephone. Feel free to phone if you don't want to believe a stranger on the internet

I guess your wonderful telephone worked fine. :smile:
Has anyone been able to get through to CS? No-body seems to be there...
Reply 2155
Original post by daniebae
I guess your wonderful telephone worked fine. :smile:

Next week is officially late March, not long now !
Reply 2156
Original post by Shakesper
Has anyone heard anything from the Weidenfeld Scholarship? I applied to it, and am very curious if invitations have been sent out for the interview.

I applied for it as well, but haven't heard a thing.
Original post by lureynol
I applied for it as well, but haven't heard a thing.

how on earth is US an emerging economy ? :tongue: (I know it's one of the countries mentioned but it makes no sense)
Rejection for GGD, so the QEH notifications are on their way out.

Absolutely gutted but not entirely unexpected. Tough course to get into and my grades don't set the world alight. On to other things I guess.

Good luck to everyone else. It's a truly fantastic university and I am very sad to be leaving.

Incidentally - the decision came through my Oxford nexus email account rather than the gmail account I used to write the application. I'm pretty sure I didn't put my uni address anywhere on the application so it's quite funny that they've searched the university address book for my name to send the decision to.
(edited 12 years ago)
What does 'nominated for funding' mean exactly, i.e. how much of a chance do I really have.

Compared to Cambridge's measly 4 AHRC places, Oxford boasts 10! But still, how do we know what the chances are at nominations?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending