The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This has just been the craziest off-season in a LONG time. Even better than last season's.

I'm loving it. Shame I've been too busy to frequent this thread and chat with you all about it.

My thoughts:

- Patriots killing free-agency. Brandon Lloyd is an excellent pick-up, incredible considering the price we paid for him.

- Manning picked the wrong team if he wants to win (should have been San Fran), but the right team for a payday.

- Saints team punished appropriately for 'bountygate'. Perhaps should have lost a first rounder rather than 2 seconds, but hey.

- Tebow to Jets is a bad idea for all involved. Sanchez will be disheveled and Tebow will not adjust to the NY offense, especially with Rex Ryan at HC, seeing as he isn't competent enough to turn a first round pick into a half decent QB, he will not deal with Tebow.

- Washington gave up too much for RGIII. I smell Ryan Leaf/Akili Smith all over this mainly due to the pressure they're putting on him. He's capable of great things but will probably drown under the spotlight coming out of a non media intensive programme like Baylor.
Totally buzzing for 5 weeks tonight.
Reply 3882
Have to disagree with you on RG3 mate, I think he has all the tools to be a good QB. I mean he's got a great personally and on interviews I've seen with him, he'll handle the media in DC. He wasn't completely ignored at Baylor especially with the Heisman hype. Also his deep ball is really strong, and he looked impressive in his Pro Day on Wednesday. I honestly think that there are two franchise QB's in this draft and you couldn't miss with either Luck or RG3. Yeah the Skins gave up a hell of a lot and you could say despite the additions that there receiver core is still mediocre. I mean giving Garcon a number one wideout contract, silly move. However, with the amount they gave up, Franchise QB trumps all needs.

On your other points, I agree the Lloyd move is superb, works with McDaniels and the fact that you are getting him on that contract is brilliant work by your FO. What do you reckon about the chances of Ocho-Cinco staying on the team, what with Lloyd and Gonzalez being signed?

I don't think Tebow to Jets has disaster written all over it. Like I said earlier, if he can be a Brad Smith replacement and they can get back to running a Wildcat portion of offense then it can be hugely successful. I mean they have the OC to do it in Sparano, he ran it in MIA. But that's all that Tebow is, a gimmick QB in my estimation, his heart is there but the throwing technique never will be. The way that this situation turns sour is the scenario where Sanchize starts turning the ball over again and the Jets start losing then the calls for Tebow will be unbearable. Have fun Jets, also McElroy is the best QB on that team

Pumped for the draft too, will most likely be up trying to do the dissertation with the draft up on ESPN. Luck's Pro Day today was solid considering the wind, and Claiborne ran a 4.39 "40" down at LSU. Having surgery on a wrist injury though. Hope he makes it past the Browns at 4 and we snag him at 5
Hey guys, I just wondered whether anyone on here had played American Football before, you know pads n' all!

I'm hopefully going off to uni in the autumn and looking to play for the University team, I've grown up playing a lot of football, english football, so I'm not exactly huge, so I was just wondering how competitive it is. I don't really want to be playing against guys who are twice the size of me, because I'll die...

Also, what are the most popular positions that people go for, I'm guessing QB is probably the most popular. I think the university league is called BUAFL so if anyone's played in that more specifically.
Original post by rural_boy
Hey guys, I just wondered whether anyone on here had played American Football before, you know pads n' all!

I'm hopefully going off to uni in the autumn and looking to play for the University team, I've grown up playing a lot of football, english football, so I'm not exactly huge, so I was just wondering how competitive it is. I don't really want to be playing against guys who are twice the size of me, because I'll die...

Also, what are the most popular positions that people go for, I'm guessing QB is probably the most popular. I think the university league is called BUAFL so if anyone's played in that more specifically.

Same boat as you regarding body size. I'm six foot one (decent height), but weigh 135 pounds. To think that wide receivers and cornerbacks weigh nearly 200...
Original post by mobius323
Same boat as you regarding body size. I'm six foot one (decent height), but weigh 135 pounds. To think that wide receivers and cornerbacks weigh nearly 200...

See I'd say I'm maybe an inch or two taller, and maybe 20 pounds heavier, but yeah the prospect of being continuously hit by a 200+ pound linebacker doesn't sound too appealing..
The BUAFL league isn't anywhere near as competitive as the NFL or NCAA. There's plenty of skinny receivers out there, it's your ability to make a good catch and run a good route which will make you better than other players. Yeah the hits can hurt, and getting some muscle on you is a great idea but WR is a skill position, and size isn't the most important thing.

I play receiver in BUAFL if you have any more specific questions.
See I'd say I'm maybe an inch or two taller, and maybe 20 pounds heavier, but yeah the prospect of being continuously hit by a 200+ pound linebacker doesn't sound too appealing..

Probably dangerous for me to put on that much weight (talking a good 60 pounds) in such a short spell of time. If I was to want to be anything, I'd probably want to be a Quarterback. Even with the additional risk of standing hits hurting so much more. Haha.
Original post by .Theory
The BUAFL league isn't anywhere near as competitive as the NFL or NCAA. There's plenty of skinny receivers out there, it's your ability to make a good catch and run a good route which will make you better than other players. Yeah the hits can hurt, and getting some muscle on you is a great idea but WR is a skill position, and size isn't the most important thing.

I play receiver in BUAFL if you have any more specific questions.

Thanks mate for your reply, yeah I guessed the quality and competitiveness isn't close to how they play in the US, I wasn't really looking to play WR though to be honest, I was looking more at being a running back, it's a lot of hits but I'm pretty quick so hopefully I can avoid it!

What's the BUAFL like to play in? Are most of the guys huge? Is it really competitive to get a playing/starting position?
(edited 12 years ago)
Probably dangerous for me to put on that much weight (talking a good 60 pounds) in such a short spell of time. If I was to want to be anything, I'd probably want to be a Quarterback. Even with the additional risk of standing hits hurting so much more. Haha.

Yeah I know what you mean, I have huge trouble gaining weight, not like medical trouble, but I've always been pretty slim and had a high metabolism, so there's no way I'll gain that much!

Yeah I think everyone wants to be QB1 though, uber - competitive!
Yeah I know what you mean, I have huge trouble gaining weight, not like medical trouble, but I've always been pretty slim and had a high metabolism, so there's no way I'll gain that much!

I think the most I've ever weighed was like, ten stone. I've never done weights or worked out before in my life, so I have very little muscle. Having a 32 (maybe 34) inch chest and being six foot one is a sign you've not got much about you. Haha.

To be honest, I've never thrown a football in my life. I'd just like to give it a go. Hahaha.
Thanks mate for your reply, yeah I guessed the quality and competitiveness isn't close to how they play in the US, I wasn't really looking to play WR though to be honest, I was looking more at being a running back, it's a lot of hits but I'm pretty quick so hopefully I can avoid it!

What's the BUAFL like to play in? Are most of the guys huge? Is it really competitive to get a playing/starting position?

Gaining weight can be more difficult for some, but you just have to eat more. Simple as that really. Try to get 3000-3500 calories in and you'll definitely gain weight, hit the gym of course and you'll get some decent muscle gains.

Running back is probably the most competitive position actually, so it won't be easy especially if you're light. Pretty much everyone says they are quick, so you need to be something special if you want to just get by on your speed. It's a lot about finding the gaps and changing direction quickly to avoid hits, but also being strong enough to basically run through people. The best running backs in the league can take hard hits and still stay on their feet to get a touchdown.

BUAFL as a league has some huge differences in team ability, the top teams have a lot of big and talented players. Teams like Birmingham Lions attract a lot of talent because of their reputation, but if you work hard and truly dedicate yourself to the sport there's no reason why you can't eventually be as good, if not better than their players.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by .Theory
Gaining weight can be more difficult for some, but you just have to eat more. Simple as that really. Try to get 3000-3500 calories in and you'll definitely gain weight, hit the gym of course and you'll get some decent muscle gains.

Running back is probably the most competitive position actually, so it won't be easy especially if you're light. Pretty much everyone says they are quick, so you need to be something special if you want to just get by on your speed. It's a lot about finding the gaps and changing direction quickly to avoid hits, but also being strong enough to basically run through people. The best running backs in the league can take hard hits and still stay on their feet to get a touchdown.

BUAFL as a league has some huge differences in team ability, the top teams have a lot of big and talented players. Teams like Birmingham Lions attract a lot of talent because of their reputation, but if you work hard and truly dedicate yourself to the sport there's no reason why you can't eventually be as good, if not better than their players.

Ah right thanks, I guess I'll try going to the gym more in the summer then.

Yeah I guessed Running back would be pretty competitive, what other positions are there that you think would be suitable for someone of my size to play in?

Also, just out of interest which team do you play for, and what position?
I think the most I've ever weighed was like, ten stone. I've never done weights or worked out before in my life, so I have very little muscle. Having a 32 (maybe 34) inch chest and being six foot one is a sign you've not got much about you. Haha.

To be honest, I've never thrown a football in my life. I'd just like to give it a go. Hahaha.

Whoa, 34 inch chest and six foot one, my god you must be bloody thin! I've got a 38-40 chest and I'm pretty skinny!

Yeah QB is really appealing, I've thrown a ball a couple of times, ages ago, but I don't think it went well!
Whoa, 34 inch chest and six foot one, my god you must be bloody thin! I've got a 38-40 chest and I'm pretty skinny!

Yeah QB is really appealing, I've thrown a ball a couple of times, ages ago, but I don't think it went well!

Yeah, during my two years on Sixth Form, girls used to constantly point out that when they hugged me, they could wrap their arms around the opposite side of my body. I'm pretty bad. Hahaha.

I just feel as if I'd have the vision as to where to throw the ball. Who knows f I'd have the ability to get it there, though. That's why I want to give it a go.
Yeah, during my two years on Sixth Form, girls used to constantly point out that when they hugged me, they could wrap their arms around the opposite side of my body. I'm pretty bad. Hahaha.

I just feel as if I'd have the vision as to where to throw the ball. Who knows f I'd have the ability to get it there, though. That's why I want to give it a go.

I'm exactly the same mate. 6 2" and 9 stone exactly. Freakishly skinny. As in people think you're either anorexic or Ethiopian (of which I happen to be neither :P).

I can throw the ball near perfect when just in a tee and shorts. We were playing today in fact and it was fine. I was hitting people in stride and everything. Right on the money 90% of the throws.

I sucked in pads. Like sucked hard.

Throwing in pads and a helmet is restrictive and alien and takes AGES to get used to. Also, try throwing when there's 3 or 4 BIG hefty guys running right at your face trying to snap you. Finally, once you get hit once (which is inevitable) you will be shaken and your confidence hit. Its hard to just get back up and stand strong in the pocket, as I started rushing throws or forcing them which almost invariably leads to interceptions.

Not telling you to give up. Just be prepared for the reality. It's nothing like the pretty boy image it gets portrayed as.
I've always wanted to give American Football a go, especially at QB. I used to have an Am football and could throw it quite far to my receivers (my dogs lol). I reckon I'd be best as a kicker though, when I played rugby at school I was always the kicker, could kick with either foot which came in handy with the different angles of the pitch.
I need to get myself another American football.
Original post by The Patriot
I'm exactly the same mate. 6 2" and 9 stone exactly. Freakishly skinny. As in people think you're either anorexic or Ethiopian (of which I happen to be neither :P).

I can throw the ball near perfect when just in a tee and shorts. We were playing today in fact and it was fine. I was hitting people in stride and everything. Right on the money 90% of the throws.

I sucked in pads. Like sucked hard.

Throwing in pads and a helmet is restrictive and alien and takes AGES to get used to. Also, try throwing when there's 3 or 4 BIG hefty guys running right at your face trying to snap you. Finally, once you get hit once (which is inevitable) you will be shaken and your confidence hit. Its hard to just get back up and stand strong in the pocket, as I started rushing throws or forcing them which almost invariably leads to interceptions.

Not telling you to give up. Just be prepared for the reality. It's nothing like the pretty boy image it gets portrayed as.

It's somewhat enlightening that someone like you with the same figure of me dared to play Quarterback with four guys rushing you. I can imagine that the helmet and pads might be a bit weird, but it takes time getting used to equipment in every sport, I guess. And I'm a mental fighter, so I imagine I have it in me (mentally) to get back up again - might not physically be able to, though!
Small thing but Nike is unveiling he new NFL kits on April 3rd.
Original post by Jockpest
Small thing but Nike is unveiling he new NFL kits on April 3rd.

Didn't know that. Looking forward to seeing them now though!

Latest