Pembroke (possibly)
Taking: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry
Reply 41
Going for Computer Science
GCSE: 5 A*s 5 As and a B (Grr art...)
A in FSMQ

I'm also currently doing an online electronics course with MIT

Not really sure about college yet.

I'm taking: Maths, Further maths, Physics, Electronics and Computing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Kalliope
Can I stalk here too? It's just that with Kid, Etoile Arva and Alex, Cambridge does seem to have the best people atm!

Oh you. You shall make me blush if you say such things.

:grin: I swear you used to dislike Eliot much more than this? In other news: I really like Hardy now - it was you who liked him right?

I dunno, I can't remember. I hereby disavow all my previous opinions on everything. But I do like Hardy, as a novelist and a poet.
Original post by SixteenHundred
Haha, nice to see Maths and poetry aren't mutually exclusive pursuits.

I'm choosing to study maths mostly because I'm more confident of my ability in it than any other subject, rather than because I have a unique interest in it. There are lots of other subjects I'd happily study to degree level - philosophy, physics, music, Classics, MFL. I think I would be better suited to a rounded liberal arts education, but they seem, ah, hard to come by in the UK.

Whenever I read The Waste Land I'm overwhelmed by the references which go over my head - thank you Eliot for deciding all literature is essentially yours to plunder - but the form is still wonderful, as is what little I can pick up with translations and a lot of time.

The great thing about The Waste Land is how strongly it shines even through its own opacity. There's no question it's a masterpiece; you don't need to be a connoisseur to recognise that. Many of the lines immediately strike you as being some of the most powerful in all poetry even if the whole is totally bewildering.
Reply 44
Can I stalk here too? It's just that with Kid, Etoile Arva and Alex, Cambridge does seem to have the best people atm! :tongue: I'm waiting for Lily to come join us on Oxford :colondollar:

Admit it m'dear... Cambridge is better :tongue: Good to see you around though, you haven't been on the thread for ages :frown:
Reply 45
Original post by Etoile
Admit it m'dear... Cambridge is better :tongue: Good to see you around though, you haven't been on the thread for ages :frown:

Ages and ages! Good to see you too :hugs:
I cannee do that :no: How about: they are equal, but Oxford is better for me

Original post by j.alexanderh
I'm choosing to study maths mostly because I'm more confident of my ability in it than any other subject, rather than because I have a unique interest in it. There are lots of other subjects I'd happily study to degree level - philosophy, physics, music, Classics, MFL. I think I would be better suited to a rounded liberal arts education, but they seem, ah, hard to come by in the UK.

The great thing about The Waste Land is how strongly it shines even through its own opacity. There's no question it's a masterpiece; you don't need to be a connoisseur to recognise that. Many of the lines immediately strike you as being some of the most powerful in all poetry even if the whole is totally bewildering.

I agree with you about wanting a Liberal Arts education. (Although I'd say that I am continuing English because I have the greatest interest in it rather than the greatest aptitude, as I am probably better at Philosophy). I would love to continue Philosophy, History and especially start Classics!

The Waste Land is, of course, the best poem ever.

Oh you. You shall make me blush if you say such things.

I dunno, I can't remember. I hereby disavow all my previous opinions on everything. But I do like Hardy, as a novelist and a poet.

I shall atone for making you blush by criticising you soundly for saying 'dunno'.

Hey there!

Thoughts on Little Gidding? This might not be the right thread.
I shall atone for making you blush by criticising you soundly for saying 'dunno'.

It's a lovely word. A vast improvement on the hideous alternative 'don't know'; it rolls from the mouth wonderfully.
Ages and ages
x.

I should point out that, ages back, I'm probably the person who you thought liked Hardy (I remember mentioning him a bit to you and getting a less than keen response!) - although I was more swayed by his poetry than prose back then. I'm slightly more indecisive now.
Reply 49
Original post by Kidioteque

If you wish to be added to the below lists, just write your relevant information (course, AS Levels taken, academics, colleges being considered) in a post, preferably with me quoted in, and I'll add you to the corresponding list when I get the chance.

Username: 03hope03
Course: Mathematics
AS Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, General Studies
Academics: GCSE 4A*'s, 8A's, AS Levels Predicted AAAB
College: Murray Edwards
(Applying through CSAS due to health problems if my health improves by summer, if not then will not apply. Will also pick up another AS level in Year 13 if health improves)
Reply 50
Ages and ages! Good to see you too :hugs:
I cannee do that :no: How about: they are equal, but Oxford is better for me.

:hugs: I am so jealous about you getting on that Eton thing btw, it looks amazing!
And I will accept that answer quite happily :lol:
Reply 51
Original post by Lily Academia
I should point out that, ages back, I'm probably the person who you thought liked Hardy (I remember mentioning him a bit to you and getting a less than keen response!) - although I was more swayed by his poetry than prose back then. I'm slightly more indecisive now.

Oh yes, I do remember it being you. I distinctly remember the Hedgehog one being mentioned. It's the Emma poems that have swung me round, really.

Did you notice this Lily? :tongue: :ninja:

Can I stalk here too? It's just that with Kid, Etoile Arva and Alex, Cambridge does seem to have the best people atm! :tongue: I'm waiting for Lily to come join us on Oxford :colondollar:
Reply 52
Original post by Etoile
:hugs: I am so jealous about you getting on that Eton thing btw, it looks amazing!
And I will accept that answer quite happily :lol:

I'm so excited :woo: You should have applied! I would have loved a Cy11er to join me, especially one as lovely as you :grin:
Reply 53
Also, out of curiosity is anyone here going for a Sutton trust summer school at Cambridge?
Reply 54
It's a lovely word. A vast improvement on the hideous alternative 'don't know'; it rolls from the mouth wonderfully.

Yet it is slang. Besides, the precise articulation necessary for 'don't know' only serves to emphasise the sentiment. Of course, I suppose 'do not know' is the best of all.
Reply 55
Original post by iCiaran
Also, out of curiosity is anyone here going for a Sutton trust summer school at Cambridge?

Me. But I have next to no chance because I fulfill pretty much none of the criteria.

Hello btw! This is very random but for ages I thought you were a guy from my school because you have the same name and are very similar and went stalking through your posts only to realise that you weren't, and get disappointed :colondollar:
Reply 56
Original post by Lily Academia
Hey there!

Thoughts on Little Gidding? This might not be the right thread.

Can I have some thoughts? But not right now, because I'm going to bed :tongue:
Oh yes, I do remember it being you. I distinctly remember the Hedgehog one being mentioned. It's the Emma poems that have swung me round, really.

Did you notice this Lily? :tongue: :ninja:

NO! Aw, that is ridiculously sweet :jumphug: You are amazing, you better remember that!

See, thing is Shanti - I'm not as smart as you. I go to a comprehensive that has an average grade of an E. I think... Oxford's setting my sights too high. Especially with med allowing me only 4 choices. Although, if I were to somehow become brilliant, get guts, and apply - it'd be Oxford, hands down :yep:
Can I have some thoughts? But not right now, because I'm going to bed :tongue:

As am I.

Well. No, that's a lie - if I go to bed now I'll end up waking up at 4 (and last time I did that I went running at 6. Not. Good. Come. Physics. Which was first lesson.) but I'm turning off Hedgehog now anyway.

I'm studying Little Gidding as part of my Anthology and think it's brilliant. If that comes up in the exam, I might turn religious.
Reply 59
Me. But I have next to no chance because I fulfill pretty much none of the criteria.

Hello btw! This is very random but for ages I thought you were a guy from my school because you have the same name and are very similar and went stalking through your posts only to realise that you weren't, and get disappointed :colondollar:

Hi, would be a pretty awesome coincidence :P

Good luck with Sutton anyway, I don't fulfill much of it but it's always worth a try...

Latest