The Student Room Group

why are matches in la liga played in the evening?

we don't have sky, so only watch the prem on motd.
Reply 1
It gets hot there, so they play later to make sure the players don't pass out. Like in Mexico as well, they play in the middle of the night.
Reply 2
qatar world cup games are gonna be played at 3am then!
Reply 3
La Liga matches are played at various times - there is always one match at midday on a Sunday, and the other matches kick off at 3, 5 and 7ish.

Only on weekdays and Saturdays are most matches played in the evening.
Reply 4
Original post by Hopple
It gets hot there, so they play later to make sure the players don't pass out. Like in Mexico as well, they play in the middle of the night.

Original post by KyraBloke
qatar world cup games are gonna be played at 3am then!

Original post by Kevmeister
La Liga matches are played at various times - there is always one match at midday on a Sunday, and the other matches kick off at 3, 5 and 7ish.

Only on weekdays and Saturdays are most matches played in the evening.

cheers. wish it was more frequent over here, the best games ive performed in have been evening fixtures although that might change in the near future.
Reply 5
Out of interest, why do most European leagues play their matches on a Sunday? Always been intrigued about that. I'd hate to be a football fan in that country, there's something really cool and exciting about Saturday football. Makes the working week go quicker!
Reply 6
Original post by Aky786UK
Out of interest, why do most European leagues play their matches on a Sunday? Always been intrigued about that. I'd hate to be a football fan in that country, there's something really cool and exciting about Saturday football. Makes the working week go quicker!

Not only that, but Saturday means that you don't have work/school the next day, so chances are you may attend more Saturday games than Sunday and weekday games... Also at least it could be good as a start of the weekend...
Reply 7
When I had Sky sports I loved how they would often feature Barca or Real playing at home LIVE and not kicking off til 9pm on a SUNDAY night. Not even a big fan of la liga but the late night timings are great.
Sunday football is brilliant, it means you can do what you want on Saturday without thinking about missing it. The only problem is sometimes it clashes with F1/MotoGP.
Reply 9
the answer to this question is because of the TV revenue

la liga will have more viewers at the time they show games because they will have more viewers around the world which means more money for the tv companies and the league itself
Original post by Marco Ben
the answer to this question is because of the TV revenue

la liga will have more viewers at the time they show games because they will have more viewers around the world which means more money for the tv companies and the league itself

The only worldwide market that benefits is the USA.

I think the late evening kick-off draws in the Asian market as well.
Original post by Alofleicester
I think the late evening kick-off draws in the Asian market as well.

Asia is six hours ahead, so if a match kicks off at 8 you're looking at 2am start time. Only massive matches would draw a big audience at that time.

They brought in 11am Sunday kick offs to suit the Asian market, and have now got some Sunday matches kicking off at 3. But evening kick offs, by and large, won't entice an Asian audience.
(edited 12 years ago)
Ahh, the joys of attending matches in Valencia at 10pm on a Sunday...
Reply 14

That is correct. But remember the domestic as well the European market is the most important and TV audience is always higher in the evenings compared to afternoons or mornings.
Reply 15
Original post by Aky786UK

Don't some European countries have different schedules? So they have half days on Wednesday and Saturday and then all of Sunday off?
In Spain their entire culture is later than ours, I mean they can't have it between 2-6 pm they're all in bed.

Quick Reply

Latest