University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

How oversubscribed is Ramsay ?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Hey I wanna apply for ensuite accommodation at UCL (self catered) and wanted to know the best way of securing some on the application.

Should I definitely put ensuite as the 'most important factor' and then in room preferences single ensuite as top choice and price max of £200?

Or would putting most important factor as proximity, but still putting price max as £200 and single ensuite as 1st preference make me likely to get an ensuite??

Basically I definitely want ensuite, but proximity is also important and I wouldn't really wanna be in camden or victoria... So which should I go with?
Original post by studentnumber2
Hey I wanna apply for ensuite accommodation at UCL (self catered) and wanted to know the best way of securing some on the application.

Should I definitely put ensuite as the 'most important factor' and then in room preferences single ensuite as top choice and price max of £200?

Or would putting most important factor as proximity, but still putting price max as £200 and single ensuite as 1st preference make me likely to get an ensuite??

Basically I definitely want ensuite, but proximity is also important and I wouldn't really wanna be in camden or victoria... So which should I go with?

Unfortunately the majority of the en suites are relatively far away - not as far as camden though. I think Goldsmid is the furthest.

I don't know the new forms, but our 'preferences' were only allowed to be self catered, catered or intercollegiate. So your best bet if ensuite is your number one priority is to put it as your most important factor.

To be honest, you might be pretty much guaranteed just by putting £200 as your budget limit - there are so few people willing to pay that so they'll stick anyone they legitimately can in the most expensive halls. That said you could end up in a single room intercollegiate so you had best mention en suite somewhere!
Original post by Moiraclaire

It's not oversubscribed in the sense that nobody applies there specifically. It is sort of considered the 'party hall' and therefore popular but that's not always an advantage to be honest. If you put catered as a priority then you will end up either in Ramsay or Ifor Evans (probably), both are sociable but one is further. Either way there's no point stressing about getting a specific hall because it's up to the accommodation office, not you.

I don't think anyone can answer that question, as you don't choose the hall, you only choose a price range, proximity to university, catered or not, single or en suite
Are there any postgraduate only halls ??
or halls with a majority of PG's. (if yes, are they messed up or still have a life ?)
can anyone give me an idea of how is the catered accommodation ? Is the food worth it ? or shall i go in for self catered only ?
any insight on the ann stephenson house !!
How far is Nutford Place from the UCL management department ?
Reply 6167
Hi guys, how do we apply for accommodation on their website? I've had my offer letter with my student number but I don't know which option to click. :tongue:

Do we choose: "I know my UCL userid and I know my password"

"I do not yet know my UCL userid and password"

or

"I know my UCL userid but do not know my password"

Thanks!
Original post by rohitbose
or halls with a majority of PG's. (if yes, are they messed up or still have a life ?)
can anyone give me an idea of how is the catered accommodation ? Is the food worth it ? or shall i go in for self catered only ?

Lillian penson ? I think. if you go to the UCL accommodation pages on the UCL website you can eventually find proper detailed explanations of each residence.
How far is Nutford Place from the UCL management department ?

google maps :smile:

Ann Stephenson is mostly PG I think. It's right near some other halls which are mainly UG, so there's quite a bit of social life going on.

Some people really like the food and others aren't so keen. It's all personal preference.

If you're thinking of going for Ann Stephenson, you won't be able to specify it on your application. Not sure if there's anywhere to put down that you'd prefer to be with other PGs. You may automatically be put with PGs.
Original post by yakuzakitty
Ann Stephenson is mostly PG I think. It's right near some other halls which are mainly UG, so there's quite a bit of social life going on.

Some people really like the food and others aren't so keen. It's all personal preference.

If you're thinking of going for Ann Stephenson, you won't be able to specify it on your application. Not sure if there's anywhere to put down that you'd prefer to be with other PGs. You may automatically be put with PGs.

There is a "Most Important Factor" tab, and i was thinking about selecting "PG only accommodation. But instead chose low cost, because I really don't want to be spending £200 a week, when i can manage in 150 or something.

Any advice on whether catered v/s self catered ?
the only thing bothering me is that will the catered timings for dinner be too restrictive ? (and the fact that the food portion might not be enough for a giant like me)

Does any accommodation have a gym ? a gym facility wasn't mentioned anywhere on the website.
google maps :smile:

i checked on google maps, but was not sure whether the management department and the main campus are nearby. but somehow managed to find out that nutford is 2 miles from UCL management Department. Not bad normally, but will be an issue if i'm getting late.
There is a "Most Important Factor" tab, and i was thinking about selecting "PG only accommodation. But instead chose low cost, because I really don't want to be spending £200 a week, when i can manage in 150 or something.

Any advice on whether catered v/s self catered ?
the only thing bothering me is that will the catered timings for dinner be too restrictive ? (and the fact that the food portion might not be enough for a giant like me)

Does any accommodation have a gym ? a gym facility wasn't mentioned anywhere on the website.

Astor is down as having a 'gym' but it's basically just a basketball court. None of them have proper gyms, but you have bloomsbury fitness and ULU gym at your disposal :smile:

Also re. Catered/self catered - depending on your lifestyle you will probably miss a lot of meals. Go self catered where you have proper kitchen facilities and full control over what you spend, it's way better in my opinion. That said if you're able to be up by 8 and in by 6 or whatever every day you'll probably get your moneys worth, but you still have to buy lunch every day and most meals on weekends.
(edited 12 years ago)
When you fill out the application form (I still haven't firmed & insured) do you get the option to say, none of the far out halls

Basically I don't want Ifor Evans or Nutford house.

I want ramsay , college, cantebury, hughes parry hall, connaught or common wealth
Reply 6175
Hey guys

How do I apply for intercollegiate halls? Is it on the same website as the UCL halls?
Original post by dirtyoldriver
Astor is down as having a 'gym' but it's basically just a basketball court. None of them have proper gyms, but you have bloomsbury fitness and ULU gym at your disposal :smile:

Also re. Catered/self catered - depending on your lifestyle you will probably miss a lot of meals. Go self catered where you have proper kitchen facilities and full control over what you spend, it's way better in my opinion. That said if you're able to be up by 8 and in by 6 or whatever every day you'll probably get your moneys worth, but you still have to buy lunch every day and most meals on weekends.

Thanks, btw, do we have to pay something for the bloomsbury fitness and ULU gym ?
if yes, how much ?
Thanks, btw, do we have to pay something for the bloomsbury fitness and ULU gym ?
if yes, how much ?

I got a year at Bloomsbury fitness for around £150. ULU is £250 I think but that includes use of the swimming pool.
if yes, how much ?

http://uclu.org/system/files/brochure_bloomsbury_fitness_v09_01_2012.pdf

They start off selling Bloomsbury Fitness at £155 at the beginning of the year (which is pretty good going), but that means it is rather busy.

The large crowds who have decided that they will go to the gym more now for New Year's have now started dying down, and the numbers aren't so bad.
Reply 6179
Anyone applied and actually had any kind of acknowledgement?