The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Maybe he was paranoid having all that money... :holmes:
Original post by S-man10
Maybe he was paranoid having all that money... :holmes:

He said he had enough money for a few generations which has led many tin foil hat wearers to take this as clinching proof that he's immortal due to his uncanny resemblance to past figures and lack of any real ageing. :holmes:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Not surprising, he's one of the nicest guys in Hollywood. Despite all the hate he gets for his 'acting', I don't anybody who has worked with him has had a single bad thing to say about him. He's done more things in the past like giving an entire stunt crew motorcycles, buying free lunch for all the backstage/crew every single day, giving $20,000 bonuses to a movie set builder who had financial trouble and other stuff as well, driving people 50 miles to help them out and general stuff like donating to charity. Hell, he even gave up his seat on the sub/train. Apparently, he makes a real effort to get to know/get on well with everyone including the grunt workers and stage hands. He's been through a lot too personal life wise, so it's nice to see it hasn't turned him into a bitter person.

Films would disintegrate if everyone was a Daniel Day Lewis. The world needs professionals like him, and it's great to see what a good person he is too. I have so much respect for him.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5883
Original post by Phalanges
Films would disintegrate if everyone was a Daniel Day Lewis. The world needs professionals like him, and it's great to see what a good person he is too. I have so much respect for him.

Why, is he supposed to be hard to get along with? :holmes:
Original post by Abiraleft
Why, is he supposed to be hard to get along with? :holmes:

I've never heard him described as your typical Ed Norton/Christian Bale bastard on set, but then you only have to look at the way he gets into character to realise it can't exactly be easy to have a guy around who refuses to get out of a wheelchair or goes and sits on a hill for two hours a day.

But my point was more that a lot of people (and it is something I am sometimes guilty of as well) look at having range as the essential characteristic of an actor, which people like Lewis and De Niro definitely have. Keanu definitely doesn't have range, but he's still proficient at what he does, and films need people like him to turn up on time, not cause any trouble, say the lines and let everyone else do their job. John Wayne is another example. So while he gets mocked a lot, he's still an important component despite not having the talent of some. The Matrix wouldn't have been any better if Neo was played by a better actor; in fact, it would probably have been worse.
You forget what a long film the Godfather is until you're watching it. The restaurant scene happens and you're only a third of the way through. :p:

Also, very annoyed to find out that The Raid isn't coming to UK cinemas for another two months. And Roger Ebert's review of it made me angry; I'm questioning whether I value his opinion at all any more.
I've never heard him described as your typical Ed Norton/Christian Bale bastard on set, but then you only have to look at the way he gets into character to realise it can't exactly be easy to have a guy around who refuses to get out of a wheelchair or goes and sits on a hill for two hours a day.

But my point was more that a lot of people (and it is something I am sometimes guilty of as well) look at having range as the essential characteristic of an actor, which people like Lewis and De Niro definitely have. Keanu definitely doesn't have range, but he's still proficient at what he does, and films need people like him to turn up on time, not cause any trouble, say the lines and let everyone else do their job. John Wayne is another example. So while he gets mocked a lot, he's still an important component despite not having the talent of some. The Matrix wouldn't have been any better if Neo was played by a better actor; in fact, it would probably have been worse.

Very well put. I think Keanu was perfect as Neo (in the first movie). It was a very natural and ernest performance. Many people would have over-acted the role.
The Sweatbox is a very rarely-seen documentary about the failed making of an animated film called Kingdom of the Sun, which eventually morphed into The Emperor’s New Groove. The Sweatbox filmmakers John-Paul Davidson and Trudie Styler were given unprecedented access to Disney’s process and the resulting film painted the executives in such a negative light, they more or less made sure the film would never been seen in public.

This film premiered at Toronto's film festival in 2002 but then vanished from the face of the Earth, until someone released a workprint onto youtube a couple of days ago. Worth checking out before Disney's copyright lawyers get it taken down!
Late, but I watched the Prometheus trailer and despite my earlier misgivings (to do with Scott's mostly mediocre post-Blade Runner output) I'm sold. Mostly because of that creepy yet brilliant sound effect in the score. I don't know what it is. But it's kind of terrifying and perfect at the same time.
Reply 5889
The Sweatbox is a very rarely-seen documentary about the failed making of an animated film called Kingdom of the Sun, which eventually morphed into The Emperor’s New Groove. The Sweatbox filmmakers John-Paul Davidson and Trudie Styler were given unprecedented access to Disney’s process and the resulting film painted the executives in such a negative light, they more or less made sure the film would never been seen in public.

This film premiered at Toronto's film festival in 2002 but then vanished from the face of the Earth, until someone released a workprint onto youtube a couple of days ago. Worth checking out before Disney's copyright lawyers get it taken down!

Damn, already gone!
Original post by aja89
Damn, already gone!

Doesn't surprise me, it got a lot of attention. :p:

I'm going to see The Hunger Games tonight despite not knowing the first thing about it. I hope they bother to explain the story instead of assuming everyone knows it!
Just rewatched John Ford's masterpiece HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY. Truly one of the finest films in the history of cinema. Love, loss, the war between tradition and modernity. A far more tender, delicate, and finely crafted piece of art than CITIZEN KANE, and I always wonder whether those who mock the Academy for never giving Welles an Oscar for KANE have ever actually seen HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY.
Reply 5892
I haven't watched a film in ages, haven't been much of a film fanatic in recent weeks. Just watched a trailer for a film called The Raid: Redemption though and it looks crazy. :coma:

Anyone got any decent suggestions for recent films that have come out on DVD? Only film I have on my to watch list is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and that isn't out for a month, need some other suggestions (I mainly prefer action/thriller/mysteries :colondollar:)
Evan Seitz is back with a new video. Similar to the abcinema video that Ape posted a while back, this one lists 13 films all with numbers in their titles. Can you guys guess them all?

[video="vimeo;38785342"]38785342[/video]
God damn this is a wonderful premise for a horror movie:

wooooooooooo. must watch.:rolleyes:
Original post by PoGo HoPz
Evan Seitz is back with a new video. Similar to the abcinema video that Ape posted a while back, this one lists 13 films all with numbers in their titles. Can you guys guess them all?

[video="vimeo;38785342"]38785342[/video]

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
2001: A Space Odyssey
Fantastic Four
(500) Days of Summer
The Sixth Sense
Seven Samurai
Super 8
District 9
Ocean's Eleven
12 Angry Men
Apollo 13

I'll take 11.
Original post by Deshi
I haven't watched a film in ages, haven't been much of a film fanatic in recent weeks. Just watched a trailer for a film called The Raid: Redemption though and it looks crazy. :coma:

Anyone got any decent suggestions for recent films that have come out on DVD? Only film I have on my to watch list is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and that isn't out for a month, need some other suggestions (I mainly prefer action/thriller/mysteries :colondollar:)

Not any of these, but MONEYBALL.

Seriously, it's awesome. A sports film but not really, with Aaron Sorkin involved.
Reply 5897
Why do you guys think The Hunger Games had such a good opening? I knew the books were fairly popular but it's had an absolutely phenomenal opening weekend.
Reply 5898
Original post by pinkpenguin
Not any of these, but MONEYBALL.

Seriously, it's awesome. A sports film but not really, with Aaron Sorkin involved.

Haha I heard of Moneyball a while back, will check it out when I can.
Original post by Deshi
Why do you guys think The Hunger Games had such a good opening? I knew the books were fairly popular but it's had an absolutely phenomenal opening weekend.

Perfect marketing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending