The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ellie_flower
If anyones interested I got 17.76 for my FSAC and was immediately successful for central departments and unsuccessful after some time for DS.

The report was far more positive than I had expected it to be and weirdly the worst bit was the best. So odd!

For anyone who is making decisions about central department choices, the options seem to be really vague, areas rather than departments. Culture sport and media department-any idea what area that might be in?

Did you get updated today?

Re the department list, I think there was a list of areas in the 2011 or 2010 thread so you might want to do a quick search.
Just found out I was unsuccessful for the Northern Ireland Stream :frown: really disappointed.

Good luck to everyone else
Original post by lm222
Bear it in mind that if you get through to the DS board and then pass that too, you may need to be around for at least a decent length of time before the start date, for security checks.

Yep, I know. But I REALLY want to go to Australia. :cry2:
Original post by richardp2020
Thanks for that, if I do get a job, I plan on taking a big holiday before I start. I somehow doubt it will be easy to get time off once you start, I was actually considering around the same times as you :cool:

It would be really helpful to have a list of departmental starting dates! Anyone fancy giving the faststream a ring and see if we can get such a thing? I would do, except for the fact that they will think I am obsessed over a holiday...
Original post by more tea vicar?
Did you get updated today?

Re the department list, I think there was a list of areas in the 2011 or 2010 thread so you might want to do a quick search.

But it gives you offers for vague sounding places like 'security and defence', 'social' and 'judical, legal and constitution'. Where could culture and media fall under? Also home office and cabinet office?!

Cheers
When your report is put online, do you get a message in your inbox? Just got a message and too terrified to check in case it's my results; don't want to ruin such a gorgeous sunny day! Though I suppose if it's just my report I'll be able to tell to some extent if I'm going to be unsuccessful or not by the score...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1966
Original post by ellie_flower
But it gives you offers for vague sounding places like 'security and defence', 'social' and 'judical, legal and constitution'. Where could culture and media fall under? Also home office and cabinet office?!

Cheers

what are the options on the list? (efs dont get a choice apparently, so haven't seen any list yet :smile: )
Unsuccessful with 16.26. So, so frustrating.
Unsuccessful with 15.09. If someone got 17.27 and was successful that's not too bad. And I know what to improve on for next time, if I apply again. Weirdly, my worse performance was in the area I thought I did the best and visa versa for my best!
Favourite part of my FSAC report: hearing that I show 'signs of imagination', though these are 'rather limited'. Good to know I'm obviously not a total vegetable...(!)
Original post by comeluckyapril
Favourite part of my FSAC report: hearing that I show 'signs of imagination', though these are 'rather limited'. Good to know I'm obviously not a total vegetable...(!)

Sorry to hear you didn't get through. What stream were you waiting on? You've been waiting ages haven't you? Or am I mistaken?
Original post by F6053721
Sorry to hear you didn't get through. What stream were you waiting on? You've been waiting ages haven't you? Or am I mistaken?

GFS, and I've been waiting about a month. Seems like bloody ages though I know it's no-where near as bad as for some people. I almost wish I'd missed by miles...16.26 is tantalisingly close. If only I had clearer signs of an imagination, eh?!
It's obviously disappointing, but with a score of over 16, I'm 99% sure you'll get through next year if you decide to put yourself through this again. Last year and again this year, Constructive thinking has been a struggle for me too and there isn't much you can do to 'train' yourself for it, like you can for the other competencies. I think it's far easier to further improve on the others.
Anyone from HR stream heard anything? I'm wondering if it's good I've not heard if I've survived a sift or if there just hasn't been an adjustment today.
Original post by richardp2020
It's obviously disappointing, but with a score of over 16, I'm 99% sure you'll get through next year if you decide to put yourself through this again. Last year and again this year, Constructive thinking has been a struggle for me too and there isn't much you can do to 'train' yourself for it, like you can for the other competencies. I think it's far easier to further improve on the others.

Well despite the faintly condescending remarks about my imagination, I actually fell down mainly on decision-making. I know exactly what I did wrong there, though, and it's a really easy thing to fix next time thank goodness! The feedback is insanely helpful, it's just frustrating that I have to wait a WHOLE YEAR to try again now.

I also can't help but be faintly annoyed that one of my three criticisms was that I need to experience 'different groups of people'. I live in Shropshire! I go to uni in Exeter! To put it delicately, there really is only one 'group' of people in those places. Obviously I will now try hard to be more diverse, but it's frustrating that I'm being marked down on something so circumstantial, especially when I know that I have and DO mix with loads of different people, just not traditionally particularly diverse ones.
Well despite the faintly condescending remarks about my imagination, I actually fell down mainly on decision-making. I know exactly what I did wrong there, though, and it's a really easy thing to fix next time thank goodness! The feedback is insanely helpful, it's just frustrating that I have to wait a WHOLE YEAR to try again now.

I also can't help but be faintly annoyed that one of my three criticisms was that I need to experience 'different groups of people'. I live in Shropshire! I go to uni in Exeter! To put it delicately, there really is only one 'group' of people in those places. Obviously I will now try hard to be more diverse, but it's frustrating that I'm being marked down on something so circumstantial, especially when I know that I have and DO mix with loads of different people, just not traditionally particularly diverse ones.

How do they assess whether you mix with diverse enough people? I'm just imagining an interviewer asking you to describe all your friends and any diverse things about them! :redface:
Original post by undergradstudent
How do they assess whether you mix with diverse enough people? I'm just imagining an interviewer asking you to describe all your friends and any diverse things about them! :redface:

You jest but that's essentially what I got!! How did I cope with mixing with people different to myself, how much time did I spend mixing with people of different cultures, how have I found these experiences, what have I learned/gained, etc etc. Little bit out of left field and I have to say, though I can see exactly where they are coming from I'm not sure it makes me a worse candidate. Obviously if I actively avoided any kind of diversity then yes, but happening to live in a certain area and choosing a certain university (before I even knew Exeter was wildly middle-class, white, and wealthy) shouldn't neccessarily reflect badly on me as a person. But then now I'm going to make a real effort in that department before next year, and I love to meet new people so that can only be a good thing! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1977

Things like 'tell me about a time you dealt with diversity', if you get lucky.

I had an AC for something else earlier this year where they combined checking diversity with conflict resolution and was asked something along the lines of 'tell me about a time when you had conflict with someone from a different country'... :/
Reply 1978

During my interview, I was asked if I had any experience of working with a diverse range of people.

FWIW, I also had similarly negative remarks on my imagination, viz. "Although some of the details in his suggestions showed touches of originality, generally they were the more obvious ideas."

Most universities have a program where you can tutor (have a conversation with) foreign students, that could be way of getting some experience :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest