Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

English Literature with Creative Writing at UEA Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to get my creative writing portfolio as near perfect as I can, but I have a couple of questions I was hoping somebody could answer for me!

1) If (hopefully!) I do get asked to send a portfolio, how soon after sending my application am I likely to be asked? And will I send it via UCAS, or through email, through post etc?

2) How should I lay it out? Should I put the title of each piece at the top? And also, for the extract from a novel, should I include a couple of sentences explaining what the novel's about, or what my inspiration for it was or something?

If anyone could help me out, I'd really, really appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    1)You'll get an email from the Lit admissions team asking you for a portfolio and they'll specify the number of pages (7) and the requirements. They asked me for 7 pages and a 500 word summary and that's where I wrote about my inspiration and what they were about etc. My email ended up in my junk folder so make sure you check! They give you a choice to email your portfolio or send it to them by post. According to my iphone calendar () , I applied on the 4th November and got a portfolio request on the 20th.

2) I just used one of the word formatting thingies to make the titles stand out so it looked like XXXX but I just think that as long as it's obvious where each piece begins and ends, you'll be fine.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    1)You'll get an email from the Lit admissions team asking you for a portfolio and they'll specify the number of pages (7) and the requirements. They asked me for 7 pages and a 500 word summary and that's where I wrote about my inspiration and what they were about etc. My email ended up in my junk folder so make sure you check! They give you a choice to email your portfolio or send it to them by post. According to my iphone calendar () , I applied on the 4th November and got a portfolio request on the 20th.

2) I just used one of the word formatting thingies to make the titles stand out so it looked like XXXX but I just think that as long as it's obvious where each piece begins and ends, you'll be fine.

Good luck!
    Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RalphsDisciple)
    Thank you so much!
    No probs! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck. Think of the successful writers who have been there, including Kazuo Ishiguro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Good luck. Think of the successful writers who have been there, including Kazuo Ishiguro.
    Won't that just increase the pressure?

ReputationRep:
    Have you recieved an offer? Hope you were successful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hnorman)
    Have you recieved an offer? Hope you were successful
    I did I got one yesterday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RalphsDisciple)
    I did I got one yesterday!
    Oh cool, thats great. You must have done a good portfolio in the end then!

ReputationRep:
    I know there are only limited places, my question is: Do they ask for a written portfolio of work? or a piece to be written to demonstrate your skill and individual talent? Or is it purely based on grades?

Edit: This is for the creative writing course at UEA

ReputationRep:
    I haven't even been asked for my portfolio yet (if ever!) . Anyone else in the same boat, or has anyone not been contacted after 1 month+ of applying?

I applied Jan 14th though... Forever waiting... I am not expecting it any more, I know how competitive it is, but oh man do I want an offer from them.

ReputationRep:
    I sent my UCAS on Jan 14th, and have yet to be asked for a portfolio... Is it at the point now where they are probably not going to ask me for one and reject me? I know it is incredibly competitive, so I understand if that is the case - but is anyone else in the same situation/can shed some light?

ReputationRep:
    Nobody?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RunAroundOnMe)
    I haven't even been asked for my portfolio yet (if ever!) . Anyone else in the same boat, or has anyone not been contacted after 1 month+ of applying?

I applied Jan 14th though... Forever waiting... I am not expecting it any more, I know how competitive it is, but oh man do I want an offer from them.
    Hi, Just to help you gauge a rough timescale this is how it worked out for me; I sent my application on 23rd October and I had an email back asking for a portfolio 23rd November, I sent my portfolio 14th Decemeber and they made me an offer on 16th Janurary. Hope you here something soon! Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    I sent seven pages of work they asked for over a month ago. Have heard nothing back from them. When can I expect to?

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.