The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by wcp100
Does that make me posh then ?:lolwut:

No! We discussed this already :tongue: And I'm not posh either! It's just that apparently when you go to an Oxbridge event in an affluent area of Surrey there are lots of posh people around :lol:
Reply 81
Original post by iCiaran
Hi, would be a pretty awesome coincidence :P

Good luck with Sutton anyway, I don't fulfill much of it but it's always worth a try...

Original post by Kalliope
Me. But I have next to no chance because I fulfill pretty much none of the criteria.

Hello btw! This is very random but for ages I thought you were a guy from my school because you have the same name and are very similar and went stalking through your posts only to realise that you weren't, and get disappointed :colondollar:

Criteria:

will be the first generation in their family to attend university
have achieved at least 5 A/A*s at GCSE
come from neighbourhoods with low overallprogression rates to higher education
are taking relevant subjects in relation to the subject stream they are applying for
attend schools or colleges with a low overall A level (or equivalent) point score
are under the age of 18 at the time of the summer school

I only satisfied the second, fourth and sixth criteria on there last year and I got a place for Engineering...
Reply 82
I'm considering but I don't know! I'm actually scared to apply if I'm being honest. Doesn't Cambridge ask for the Jan modules UMS or is it AS UMS overall?
Reply 83
Original post by Satta101
I'm considering but I don't know! I'm actually scared to apply if I'm being honest. Doesn't Cambridge ask for the Jan modules UMS or is it AS UMS overall?

They ask for all module UMS. Even resits.

When you fill in the SAQ, you have to select your modules and give a mark. As well, you have to fill in which topics you have already covered in each chapter/exam etc.

Good luck! ^_^

EDIT: If anyone is interested about any parts of the application eg, SAQ, interview or any of that, just ask.

My advice is don't let UMS results put you off applying, if you feel you can do well at interview. I would say this excludes some subjects (NatSci for one). A friend of mine got a straight offer (ASNAC) with AABB at AS, whilst another got pooled then made an offer (PhysNatSci) with AAAA, and 95% average UMS. I wasn't made an offer with 89.5% average UMS, which is now about 93% (main three, but they'll probably take FMaths module % over Core, but you can rearrange as you please). However, got a few high markers under my belt in Jan and will aim for more come June, and who knows, maybe I'll see you people at freshers! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by wibletg
Criteria:

will be the first generation in their family to attend university
have achieved at least 5 A/A*s at GCSE
come from neighbourhoods with low overallprogression rates to higher education
are taking relevant subjects in relation to the subject stream they are applying for
attend schools or colleges with a low overall A level (or equivalent) point score
are under the age of 18 at the time of the summer school

I only satisfied the second, fourth and sixth criteria on there last year and I got a place for Engineering...

That's encouraging, I satisfy the three that you did...
Reply 85
Original post by iCiaran
That's encouraging, I satisfy the three that you did...

At least apply, that way you know there's nothing more you could have done :tongue:
Heyyy

Applying for : Geography (decided as of today at the Oxbridge Conference)
AS Levels: Geography, History, Maths, Further Maths, English Lit... predicted AAAAB respectively (although I fully intend to get an A in English)
GCSEs: 9A*s, 1 A, Distinction in OCR Nationals ICT
Colleges: Considering all the pretty ones :smile: :smile:
Original post by Etoile
:woo:

Lily, if you actually believe this then there's no hope for anyone!! Your school's average grade is nowhere near your grades and if anyone's good enough to get in then it's you.

Original post by Kalliope
It is

I completely refuse to believe that Lily. You are incredibly smart - you are taking an insane number of A levels, you have very erudite conversations (:colondollar:) - and you are committed to medicine, and would be a wonderful doctor. Obviously, Oxford medicine is insanely competitive so I do completely understand the hestiation, but don't necessarily rule it out if it is your dream. You can't get an offer if you don't apply! Pretend that you go to comprehensive of TSR (:ninja:) where we are your class and Minerva is your UCAS advisor. And anyway to be so fabulous at such an awful school is an achievement in itself. :hugs:

Thank you both, you're too nice! :jumphug:

But really? I think I'm just setting myself up for rejection. I'll be glad to get in anywhere for medicne. Oxford would be amazing, but I really don't think I stand a chance relative to others. Thank you for being nice though, I do appreciate it. I have teachers voicing similiar views, but in the end it depends on August and what I get.

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 88
Original post by Lily Academia

But really? I think I'm just setting myself up for rejection. I'll be glad to get in anywhere for medicne. Oxford would be amazing, but I really don't think I stand a chance relative to others. Thank you for being nice though, I do appreciate it. I have teachers voicing similiar views, but in the end it depends on August and what I get.

Spoiler

7 AS's :eek:

How did you do in January? If you survived you're on the right track :tongue:
Considering applying for Biological natural sciences or medicine.
I applied for medicine this year and didn't make the cut so if anyone wants advice feel free to ask me :smile:
Reply 90
Original post by Junaid16
Most of what I say will be more down to my own failings.:unsure: I've got a hunch that for Cambridge in particular, your interview is what essentially makes or breaks your application. I know people with average grades who've made it in and then people with insane grades who were rejected! In my feedback, there was nothing about my grades (which aren't particularly spectular) It was all about my interview. I think the gist of my feedback was that I was good, but there were just people who were better.

Also, I wouldn't worry about having 90% across your AS subjects, this seems to only be really vital for Economics and the sciences. Even the odd B at AS, isn't neccessarily much of an issue if it is in a unrelated subject. Getting strong UMS *(93%) in your top 3 subjects means that you won't be rejected outright, and will be automatically pooled regardless of your interview, so this is a plus for strong AS results, but can sometimes just prolog the pain.:rolleyes:

I also do think that some colleges are 'slightly' easier to get into regardless of what people say. Obviously, you're best of choosing the college, which is best suited to you, but its good to consider some under-subscribed colleges for your courses. For example, I know a handful of people who got into Homerton, who themselves felt that they may not have got in hand they applied to a more competitive college. Apply to a college you like, but if you apply to a crazily competitive college, you may be pooled to a college which doesn't suit you.

Even though people say that you can't prepare for your interview, its still really important to ensure that you're really well-prepared. I stupidly bought into the idea that 'you can't prepare for the interview and basically was caught cold in the interview.:colondollar:

Make sure that your other choices are 'almost' as good as Cambridge. I know too many people whose second choice was somewhere like Sussex (no disrespect) and ended up feeling like they've sold themselves short. Nowhere can really match up to Cambridge or Oxford, but if prestige is important to you, try and have a few top 10 universities in your five choices to prevent the fall hurting as much!

Also try not to let it consume your life:colonhash:
Sorry about the essay!:wink:

:console: I'm sorry it didn't work out for you! Thank you so much for this though, it's very useful :smile:

Original post by Lily Academia

Spoiler

:penguinhug:
Lily. Please stop being so hard on yourself. I know why you do it but sometimes you can accept that you are amazing :tongue:
Original post by Nodes Of Ranvier
Considering applying for Biological natural sciences or medicine.
I applied for medicine this year and didn't make the cut so if anyone wants advice feel free to ask me :smile:

really happy you said that because i have a couple of questions. What college did you apply to? what were your gcse grades and your ums scores? did you get called for an interview and if you did, how was it and what feedback did you receive? how many work experience placements/voluntary work did you have? what other medical schools did you apply to?
Original post by wibletg
7 AS's :eek:

How did you do in January? If you survived you're on the right track :tongue:

I don't think she's just on the right track, I think she's on several of them!!!!
Original post by Etoile
No! We discussed this already :tongue: And I'm not posh either! It's just that apparently when you go to an Oxbridge event in an affluent area of Surrey there are lots of posh people around :lol:

Aha :tongue: Well. It's bound to happen.

Apply to Pembrole. Pembroke

Spoiler

Hello!

Although I am currently not at Cambridge, I applied 2 years ago (wow I feel old) and was successful with gaining a place (although making it was a different matter :tongue: ) If there are any questions you want to ask, feel free to ask :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 95
Original post by wcp100
I don't think she's just on the right track, I think she's on several of them!!!!

The right track follows Lily instead of the other way around :lol:

Original post by wcp100
Aha :tongue: Well. It's bound to happen.

Apply to Pembroke. Pembroke

Spoiler

Are you going to wear your suit there? :colone:
Aha! Why Pembroke?
Original post by Etoile

Are you going to wear your suit there? :colone:
Aha! Why Pembroke?

I've been. I didn't no. They decided thankfully that we didn't have to wear school clothes.

It's close to the department, isn't too pushy and looks amazing!
Original post by cpdavis
Hello!

Although I am currently at Cambridge, I applied 2 years ago (wow I feel old) and was successful with gaining a place (although making it was a different matter :tongue: ) If there are any questions you want to ask, feel free to ask :smile:

I think you meant not at Cambridge :tongue:

But yeah guys, me and cpdavis will both tell you that Emma is the best college :wink:
Reply 98
Original post by wcp100
I've been. I didn't no. They decided thankfully that we didn't have to wear school clothes.

It's close to the department, isn't too pushy and looks amazing!

Ah did you find it useful?
That's a shame. :sexface:
Looks like you have found your niche! I'll admit Selwyn is on my list purely for location. I can't remember why I'm not considering Pembroke though, might have been because I didn't like their website :colondollar:

Original post by hassi94
I think you meant not at Cambridge :tongue:

But yeah guys, me and cpdavis will both tell you that Emma is the best college :wink:

Regarding Emma - I see that you have a swimming pool. :colone: Does anyone actually use it or is it too cold?
Original post by --emma--
I'm hoping to apply to Natural Sciences (Biological). :smile:

Best subject :wink:
feel free to PM me about BioNatSci admissions etc.

Latest