The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James2593
I'm having problem connecting with Kies, it says that I cannot connect in this mode (pc suite)

I've tried just connecting it and in file transfer mode. It's a samsung S2 and running litening rom V1.5. Reading these posts about ICS makes me want to check if I can get it :biggrin:

EDIT: problem fixed, damn USB de-bugging mode

EDIT 2: One problem fixed but now got another, it now says my device does not support software upgrading via kies, any advice?

It's because you're running a custom ROM. Either flash the official ICS ROM yourself or an official GB ROM THEN update through KIES.
Original post by tface
How does this affect, if at all, CM9 for Galaxy Nexus? Will Samsung have to release the same thing for the GN before CM can be put on GN?

Sorry for never replying to this until now, but it won't have any effect. As far as I knew, all the source files for the Nexus are already out. If CM9 isn't out on Nexus yet it's just due to the CM team wanting to focus on different phones (mostly the ones with a crap ICS experience I'd guess).
Original post by James2593

EDIT 2: One problem fixed but now got another, it now says my device does not support software upgrading via kies, any advice?

My brother got this error with his SGS2 but he's not using a custom ROM. Bizarre. It's something to do with the drivers I think.

I connected mine to Kies and it says I have the latest firmware. So it looks like Samsung are slower than Three to roll out a firmware update. How is that even possible, it's their goddamn phone?! :angry: I'm on a stock and unbranded phone and no update (not that I want it mind you, I'll be waiting until Sky Go is ICS compatible, but it would be nice to know it's available).
(edited 12 years ago)
Kies is awful.

Bear in mind that Sky Go will not run on a rooted / custom ROM device.
Samsung are useless. Three has already released their network-approved version of ICS and yet unlocked phones bought sim-free are still waiting on Samsung who seem reluctant to give us the update when we should in theory be the first. No excuses!
In theory, practice is the same as theory. In practice, it differs.
I don't even know how Samsung allowed it to go ahead, they gave ICS to the network yet can't release it for unbranded phones.
I posted this elsewhere regarding the SGS2 but may work on others:

Learnt another shortcut with stock (2.3.4 here) but may work on others. So most people know about HOME+POWER BUTTON takes a screenshot.

This one's a bit tricky at first but lets you quickly change the brightness.

Touch and hold the notification area of the screen (eg the time). The pulldown bar will momentarily appear and if you keep holding it will disappear. Now slide your finger left/right to adjust brightness.

My explanation sucks but it's fairly easy to do. I don't know if its an Android thing or Samsung specific.

I think it's quite handy and saves you going back to homescreen widgets to adjust brightness.
Original post by silent ninja

Learnt another shortcut with stock (2.3.4 here) but may work on others. So most people know about HOME+POWER BUTTON takes a screenshot.

Touch and hold the notification area of the screen (eg the time). The pulldown bar will momentarily appear and if you keep holding it will disappear. Now slide your finger left/right to adjust brightness.

My explanation sucks but it's fairly easy to do. I don't know if its an Android thing or Samsung specific.

I think it's quite handy and saves you going back to homescreen widgets to adjust brightness.

I found this a few weeks ago, blew my mind when I found it :smile:
Original post by wizard710
I found this a few weeks ago, blew my mind when I found it :smile:

Very cool! I wonder why it's hidden away like that.
Original post by silent ninja

Figured both these out a couple weeks into owning my S2 :tongue:

Both these features are available on CM7/9 except screenshot is volume down and lock/power button.
Original post by hassi94
Figured both these out a couple weeks into owning my S2 :tongue:

Both these features are available on CM7/9 except screenshot is volume down and lock/power button.

Only took me 4 months lol it's not the most obvious thing to spot.
Reply 7092
Is it just me thats still running the old android market? Everyone else I know has this googleplay thing now
Wow, Cronos has been updated :biggrin:

I was getting used to not having to update my phone though. I'll leave it until I get home.

I think I'm still on the old Market.
Reply 7094
Temple run is out later today, not looking forward to it as much as i was but its a free app to keep me busy for a few days if not weeks :tongue:
Original post by johnnn
Is it just me thats still running the old android market? Everyone else I know has this googleplay thing now

download it from xda-devs
Original post by johnnn
Temple run is out later today, not looking forward to it as much as i was but its a free app to keep me busy for a few days if not weeks :tongue:

Feeyo is still at work? Awesome! He made the Hero good!
Yeah, shame he doesn't do any S2 roms
The ICS update is out on O2. :biggrin: I like it so far.
You kids and you're waiting for updates :biggrin:. Only messing. Even ROMs are not 100% working until HTC, Samsung or whatever release the update, mostly to compare and see where things can be improved, because they have to have everything working before they release it. 99% right now, big issue is the camera on my Desire HD, but even that's working now just video left.

Latest

Trending

Trending