The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Does St Andrews reject Oxbridge applicants

Scroll to see replies

St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Sappho
Maybe because they look for more than grades? Oxbridge can interview, so for some of the smaller subjects, they interview nearly all candidates, so a quick glance at their PS is enough, so see whether they are half decently interested in their subject. Then in the interview applicants can show much more of themselves. But another uni might only have your application, and if your PS is not as well-tailored to their course, they can get the impression that you don't know what your applying for and that another applicant will be better suited for their department.

Do you really think that they would reject somebody for not tailoring a personal statement to their course? I understand that it's important to show a clear interest, but surely they recognise that somebody is applying to five different universities and so can't really tailor the statement to one particular course?
Reply 22
Original post by electric-wars
Do you really think that they would reject somebody for not tailoring a personal statement to their course? I understand that it's important to show a clear interest, but surely they recognise that somebody is applying to five different universities and so can't really tailor the statement to one particular course?

If I was a Classics tutor who got an Ancient History application, I would wonder. I would as well if I got one for Classical Studies that states why they love the ancient languages, and I'd be surprised if I got an application for a Classical Civilisations course that says why they love literature. Of course it's all relative, but if I sensed that the person is not very sure why they applied to my course, why should I give them a place on my course instead of someone who clearly shows an interest and experience in what we'll be doing?
Reply 23
A good personal statement is vital to stand out and make a impression of the admission staff. Remember there is no right way to write a statement, but there are many wrong ways to do it. Take a look at the following link, it provides free access to dozens of well written personal statements;

http://www.dayjob.com/content/personal-statement-examples-772.htm
Original post by Sappho
If I was a Classics tutor who got an Ancient History application, I would wonder. I would as well if I got one for Classical Studies that states why they love the ancient languages, and I'd be surprised if I got an application for a Classical Civilisations course that says why they love literature. Of course it's all relative, but if I sensed that the person is not very sure why they applied to my course, why should I give them a place on my course instead of someone who clearly shows an interest and experience in what we'll be doing?

I understand your point, and I would be much the same, yet I myself have found it impossible to tailor my personal statement to one course in particular as there wasn't one university that I wanted to attend over the others. I have applied for philosophy and so there are so many different schools of thought within that - much of the philosophy in my personal statement isn't offered at St Andrew's yet some of it is; I'm slightly concerned that they will reject me because I haven't tailored my statement specifically to them, but there is a part of me that finds it slightly elitist that that would do this.
Original post by phillipb
A good personal statement is vital to stand out and make a impression of the admission staff. Remember there is no right way to write a statement, but there are many wrong ways to do it. Take a look at the following link, it provides free access to dozens of well written personal statements;

http://www.dayjob.com/content/personal-statement-examples-772.htm

Thanks. I know that my personal statement is well written and it comprehensively explains why I am so passionate about philosophy - it just might not 'fit' the St Andrew's course so well.
Reply 26
Original post by electric-wars
I understand your point, and I would be much the same, yet I myself have found it impossible to tailor my personal statement to one course in particular as there wasn't one university that I wanted to attend over the others. I have applied for philosophy and so there are so many different schools of thought within that - much of the philosophy in my personal statement isn't offered at St Andrew's yet some of it is; I'm slightly concerned that they will reject me because I haven't tailored my statement specifically to them, but there is a part of me that finds it slightly elitist that that would do this.

I'm rather saying that if it's clearly tailored to something else, they might become sceptical. You may of course have your own interests that go beyond the scope of what's on offer.
Reply 27
No university should know about what other universities you applied to how those applications went. It's non of their business and I suspect a breach of trust if they do know. Unless you tell them. I don't know why you would unless you like to brag.
Kicked me out. I'm too Oxbridge I guess (applied before the 15th + max grades). And yeah, Oxford was fine with my application.
I have a Cambridge offer but a St Andrews rejection. It's probably just my GCSEs rather than them discriminating on the basis that I might have an Oxbridge offer though.
Original post by Caranthirion
Kicked me out. I'm too Oxbridge I guess (applied before the 15th + max grades). And yeah, Oxford was fine with my application.

They didnt kick you out, you were never allowed in. ^^
My referee stupidly mentioned that I was an Oxford applicant in my reference. Last week St Andrews offered me a place.

Therefore, I do not think that St Andrews disciminate against Oxbridge applicants :wink:
Reply 32
Original post by Kallistrate
My referee stupidly mentioned that I was an Oxford applicant in my reference. Last week St Andrews offered me a place.

Therefore, I do not think that St Andrews disciminate against Oxbridge applicants :wink:

Congrats! I hope you forgave your referee then, I'm sure (s)he just wanted to do his/her best for you! That almost happened to me last year... How did the other unis react?
Original post by Sappho
Congrats! I hope you forgave your referee then, I'm sure (s)he just wanted to do his/her best for you! That almost happened to me last year... How did the other unis react?

Thank you! I'm not sure she deserves forgiveness, she was not a nice woman, but as it's all worked out well I can forget her and move on :tongue: My old headmaster sent out a new reference to all my unis (as there were other problems with it too) and they were all pretty good about it. I got 3/5 offers and I think the rejections were for reasons other than the reference, so it wasn't the end of the world, especially as I have St Andrews now :biggrin:
Reply 34
Thank you! I'm not sure she deserves forgiveness, she was not a nice woman, but as it's all worked out well I can forget her and move on :tongue: My old headmaster sent out a new reference to all my unis (as there were other problems with it too) and they were all pretty good about it. I got 3/5 offers and I think the rejections were for reasons other than the reference, so it wasn't the end of the world, especially as I have St Andrews now :biggrin:

Yay :smile: What subject is this?
Original post by Sappho
Yay :smile: What subject is this?

Modern History :smile: I'm hoping to take English and Art History too in first year. From what I've gathered from stalking the St Andrews forum since October you study Classics?
Reply 36
Modern History :smile: I'm hoping to take English and Art History too in first year. From what I've gathered from stalking the St Andrews forum since October you study Classics?

Hehe, indeed, very much so. Best. Subject. Ever. :wink:

So we are your firm?
Reply 37
Original post by dragon500uk
They didnt kick you out, you were never allowed in. ^^

HAHA.
Original post by Sappho
Hehe, indeed, very much so. Best. Subject. Ever. :wink:

So we are your firm?

Haha awesome. I studied Classics at A level so it's another contender for one of my extra modules in first/ second year :smile:
Yes you are :biggrin: I'm visiting St Andrews next week just to be sure, but it will take quite a lot to put me off!
Reply 39
all good unis do it, esp bristol, durham etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending