The Student Room Group
Original post by xX-LK-Xx
Hey :smile:
I am so confused by this!
Can full time open university students still get a student loan?
Thank you!

Previously, the Open University provided all financial support. From 2012 onwards, student finance will be providing a non income-assessed tuition fee loan for all part-time and OU students, providing study intensity is at least 25%. There's no maintenance support available but this is the first time fee loans have been available for part-time students.
Reply 2
Original post by glittersticks
Previously, the Open University provided all financial support. From 2012 onwards, student finance will be providing a non income-assessed tuition fee loan for all part-time and OU students, providing study intensity is at least 25%. There's no maintenance support available but this is the first time fee loans have been available for part-time students.

So thats a yes :smile:
Thank you!
Reply 3
You can get a course grant up to £265 per year, depending on your income.
Reply 4
Wait, that says part time though? Oh so confused!
Reply 5
Original post by OU Student
You can get a course grant up to £265 per year, depending on your income.

But this year you can now apply for a student loan if you wish to study at the open university. I am just confused as to wether this is only for part time students?
Reply 6
It's for all new students starting this year.

Here is the link from OU.
Original post by xX-LK-Xx
But this year you can now apply for a student loan if you wish to study at the open university. I am just confused as to wether this is only for part time students?

If you're starting this year, then what I said above is correct - you are only entitled to a non income-assessed tuition fee loan from SFE. If you are a continuing OU student then they deal with your financial support, which is a means-tested fee grant and course grant.
Reply 8
Thank you everyone :smile: I spoke to someone from student finance today and they confirmed i can get a student loan to pay it all off :biggrin:
Reply 9
Yes I see written everywhere that this is true.. but in my student finance application form does NOT accept Open University as a valid university.
Original post by martin84
Yes I see written everywhere that this is true.. but in my student finance application form does NOT accept Open University as a valid university.

That's because you apply through the OU for finance and not SFE.
Reply 11
No you apply through student finance but you need to do it using the part time form instead of the full time form even if you are planning to do it full time. At least thats what student finance told me. :smile:
Original post by glittersticks

I am facing same situation
I am intending to do full time pgce but I am told even if it's full time with 120 hrs of work placements I.e. technically I can't work during studies I won't be able to get maintainence grant and will be classed part time student.
Anyone knows if this is true and I won't be able to get any other help other than the fees loan? :angry:
How am I going to work if I work 8 hrs a day in the school for 5 day all year long
Mine does .... unless you have done it incorrectly ...

Latest

Trending

Trending