The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I had something like this, it got so bad that I went to the doctors and they booked me straight in with the hospital with suspected appendicitis. Kept me in overnight and found out it was just a water infection, gave me antibiotics etc and I was fine. However they did test me for ovarian cysts, ectopic pregnancy and other stuff.
lower right, this could be appendicitis
Entangled
Well, the pain in the lower right of the abdomen (with my basic knowledge of ailments that I've inherited) sends appendicitis or hernia alarm bells ringing. Of course, you've had it for a while now, so you'd have noticed if it was a hernia, and the hernia could quite possibly have killed you.

Go get it checked out by the GP. That's what they're knocking around for.

You can see or feel a hernia, particularly (sorry) when you poo and it can occur on either side. Also a hernia is a rupture of the wall and is v.painful not short pain at odd times.

OP it could honestly be anything so go to the doctor asap as ultrasounds can take ages to be referred to, and ovarian cysts dont usually cause pain like this but still it is possible or its possible you have the pain from something else and ovarian cysts as its thought that 1 in 10 women do.
Reply 23
Hey a friend of mine had exactly the same thing! Right lower abdomen, she went into hospital thinking it was appendicitis but it turned out to be nothing! Sounds quite common.
I think it's just ovulation pains. I get the same sort of thing, usually at certain times of the month.
Reply 25
Thanks for the advice everyone! Some of its a bit worrying but I'll see about getting it checked out. :smile:
I've been getting that since I was 14 onwards...I also get it in the behind region usually when I have my periods... but the stabbing pains in front are always there... randomly say 10-15 times a year...
Um, not sure if this has been said but I had a very similar pain after I pulled a lower stomach muscle in rugby. When you sit up it hurts, coughing makes the muscles tense = more pain, twisting and reaching up are also painful and it often just pulses with pain (the stabbing pain?)
Anywho, if thats what you think it is then I would suggest stretching your lower body, arching you back as if pregnant and slowly swiveling your hips before placing heat (hot water bottle or something similar) over the muscle. If you don't think it is this, as suggested I would go and see your GP straight away :smile:
It sounds to me like you might have ovarian cysts - they cause shooting pains when they rupture. You really should see your GP.
Heya, I would definitely get this checked out, my sister had the exact same sort of pain and she got a scan at the hospital and turns out she has ovarian cysts. She's getting them removed soon though. But still, get a hospital appointment booked! Don't live with the pain! xx
Ilora-Danon
If it was appendicitis, you'd know about it. Honestly.

My sister had suspected appendicitis and in the end after removing her appendix, they found cysts on her ovaries and removed those during the same surgery.

Sounds like cysts. I get the same excrutiating stabbing pains on my left ovary. She dun'arff give a good kick. I should go see my GP about it, but I'd rather not have an appendix scar lol.

I really would go to see the doctor if you think it could be a cyst. I was friends with a girl in school who put off going to the doctor about similar stabbing pains, and woke up one night screaming in pain. They rushed her to hospital and the cysts had got so bad that they had to remove her whole ovary.

OP it could be anything - trapped wind (yum), constipation (yummier), a cyst, or just random pains. I really would go and see your GP though.
I'm actually experiencing the same thing at the moment, hence finding this thread :s-smilie:

Are you also experiencing blood spotting?!

I would normally vote for ovulation, but, my sister and I are being scanned and tested for Polycystic ovaries after easter, and if I am positive, it would explain the fact I am still irregular on my periods after 6 years, and I had a period recently, so, if I'm honest I dont expect another one for at least 3 months, so it makes me think cysts. I am slightly worried about this, I must be honest, and I dont really want to go to my GP as he is a male Dr. Dont get me wrong, he's great, I'm just selfconcious.

Do you think like a clinic would be able to help?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm actually experiencing the same thing at the moment, hence finding this thread :s-smilie:

Are you also experiencing blood spotting?!

I would normally vote for ovulation, but, my sister and I are being scanned and tested for Polycystic ovaries after easter, and if I am positive, it would explain the fact I am still irregular on my periods after 6 years, and I had a period recently, so, if I'm honest I dont expect another one for at least 3 months, so it makes me think cysts. I am slightly worried about this, I must be honest, and I dont really want to go to my GP as he is a male Dr. Dont get me wrong, he's great, I'm just selfconcious.

Do you think like a clinic would be able to help?

A clinic would do the same as your doctor; ask questions, refer you to or just do take your blood for hormone levels then if they come back high they refer you to a gynocologist for a scan. Does your practice not have a list of doctors where you can choose someone else to speak with? Most have a female you can go to, they have to refer you to a female doctor if you request it - if they offer you a male doctor you can say no, you just have to say it and you wont have to. Youre more likely to have to return to a clinic as it isnt the usual thing they are for, e.g. some might not have the right staff most of the time for it or some particular ones like sexual health clinics just dont do that side of things.
Reply 33
i keep on getting these pains aswell i have been to the doctors twice and the first time i went i had a urine test and it came bk normal and then the second time i went i had 2 swobs done and they have both come back normal i dont no what else to the doctor had also cancelled my scan because she said she dont think i need it but im still getting the sharp stabbing pains
I dont know what it is but i've been getting it on and off for the past couple of days. It hurts when i sit down, or when i do a (sorry) number 1. I asked my mum, and she said it could be appendicitis, but im not too sure. I think it might be period related (mine will be in a week) and i've never experianced this before. Does anyone have a clue as it is sort of above my hip on the right and i dont want to jave to go to hospital.

Thanks! 🐸
you may want to check the thread date before posting.
Reply 36
I've been getting the same quite a lot latley the pain would just randomly stab through the right hand side of my stomache and shoot across to the point I could stand ever since then I've been getting it when I wake up and also out of the blue through the day, would love to know if anyone has experianced the same and if you know what it may be
Reply 37
No. That would be strong onset of pain. Not quick short twinges.

Latest