The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LaBelleEtLeBete
He didn't know about your ED then, did he?
UGH.

He found my diary a few weeks before hand, so he WOULD have known.
Original post by .snowflake.
He found my diary a few weeks before hand, so he WOULD have known.

:hugs: That's terrible. What is it with parents not realising that what they say to you effects you? How can they not realise that fat jokes+severe body image issues=not at all good.

My sister's therapist asked if she had a history of EDs (she's underweight but doesn't have an ED) so now my dad jokes about his bulimic daughter. Uh hi there dad, remember me? That daughter who was nearly hospitalised? The one who tried to ****ing kill herself? NICE.

(My parents have always maintained that all of the doctors I saw were overreacting and I've never had any MH problems, just a bad reaction to sedatives. 'cause they couldn't possibly have a mentally-ill daughter, could they?)
:hugs: That's terrible. What is it with parents not realising that what they say to you effects you? How can they not realise that fat jokes+severe body image issues=not at all good.

My sister's therapist asked if she had a history of EDs (she's underweight but doesn't have an ED) so now my dad jokes about his bulimic daughter. Uh hi there dad, remember me? That daughter who was nearly hospitalised? The one who tried to ****ing kill herself? NICE.

(My parents have always maintained that all of the doctors I saw were overreacting and I've never had any MH problems, just a bad reaction to sedatives. 'cause they couldn't possibly have a mentally-ill daughter, could they?)

my sister finds it hilarious to offer me something she knows has palm oil in, then after I've eaten it, go 'That's got palm oil in, You've killed an orangutang!'
my sister finds it hilarious to offer me something she knows has palm oil in, then after I've eaten it, go 'That's got palm oil in, You've killed an orangutang!'

Why are people so ****ing insensitive?
Why are people so ****ing insensitive?

because people suck. that's why. Some of the most insensitive things people have said to me have been from 'friends' or teachers. Just before xmas I had this said to me by my german teacher 'Well of course its going to be rubbish, you've written it'. My most recent report basically says as long as I put the revision in and work on accuracy, I'll get my predicted grade. And then people wonder why idk where i stand with the guy!
Reply 3025
I hope you dont mind me posting on here - im not a sufferer myself and as such i really dont have much (any) advice for you i just wanted to say thank you, to all of you for opening my eyes.
I guess i was one of those people who did have misconceptions about Anorexia Nervosa, and i did think that i knew what it was (i studied it in psychology A-Level just a few months ago, but that seems like a whole different disorder). i will admit i did think that anorexia began from a desire to "look good" that spiralled out of control for those individuals, in essence a diet gone bad.

but for you guys it seems so so removed from how you looked, it seems to be more about having something you can control? This thread has really inspired me, to gain an insight into your minds in a small sense, and it has made me really realise.. well i dont know what but i feel different xD
However you have suffered, its really opened my eyes and i feel so inspired by your stories, although i havent myself been affected by an eating disorder. You really are in an inspiration with your towers of strength.

so thank you again, and i wish you all the very very best in your quest for health. Good luck :smile: and well done for coming as far as you have.
because people suck. that's why. Some of the most insensitive things people have said to me have been from 'friends' or teachers. Just before xmas I had this said to me by my german teacher 'Well of course its going to be rubbish, you've written it'. My most recent report basically says as long as I put the revision in and work on accuracy, I'll get my predicted grade. And then people wonder why idk where i stand with the guy!

I don't understand if this is some people's idea of humour.... :mad:
I don't understand if this is some people's idea of humour.... :mad:

mm. Doesn't help when I can't recognise sarcasm at the best of times.
i just thought id post to say it does get better
i had various ED's from 11 to 17 and i finally feel recovered now :smile:
its been hard,a nd it still is sometimes, im not going to lie, but its such a weight off my shoulders not having to worry constantly

the worst comments for me are 'youre fat' and 'you can never recover from an eatng disorder' the las one is bad for me when people who havnt had one say it, it just gives me no hope :frown:

and if anyone ever needs support, im here for you :smile:
xx
Reply 3029
mm. Doesn't help when I can't recognise sarcasm at the best of times.

Gonna be blunt because that's what I'm like with things like this, do you have an ASD?

I'm making lists of ideas/ tables for the vor und nachteile of TV, etc. Wort für Wort has become bedtime reading. I'm trying to crack the passive and reported speech. I'm halfway through an AS essay for sir. Half of me thinks I must be doing well in my A2 speaking practice that I've had for sir, because he got the 'how to stretch and challenge' booklet from AQA out last time. Yet the other half of me thinks I'm not doing enough revision - even though I started the day after results day!- that my speaking isnt good enough, I dont go into enough detail, word order is messed up and that I'm eating far too much of everything. Even though sir says that if I repeat my performance in the A2 I should come out with a very good grade and if I have this sort of fluency in my AS resit, I'll get an A stood on my head.

E - atleast you're honest with her. Could be worse, you could be telling her you've not cut since last time and the last time you ate was this morning and you had toast and jam and a cup of tea, and then your friend came round and she had some dolly mix and you had a few. When that isnt the case.

The sheer idea of going to uni terrorfies me. I'm not even THAT good at Chemistry, as Magdalena likes to remind me. 'Well you SHOULD know the answer, you are going to study it at uni!' I'm probably going to get put with a bunch of people who turn into absolute ********s/ bitches when they're drunk.

Wow, you're doing loads! You're going to ace it. :smile: Stood on your head, doing backflips, everything :tongue:
Do you comfort eat?
That's true. She's just another person that I let down though. Bought some new shorts today but am going to have to wear opaque tights with them though because my cuts on my thighs are too deep and too orderly to pass off as anything else.
You ARE good! You've got all these offers to study it so you must be doing something right! I am in awe of you, I still don't know how I passed GCSE chemistry :tongue: And you never know - I bet everyone else is worrying the same and then will turn out to be nice like you.

Original post by Riku
Long post, just a warning.
Etoile, about the therapist-agree with Toto. You'd be surprised what they're digging at over weeks or months of seemingly silly questions.
This is what basically has happened to me in therapy, sorry for the digression. I'll spoiler in case this can be taken the wrong way.

Spoiler

Of course, the situation is probably pretty different for yourself-in no way am I meaning to belittle it,! I’m speaking from a healthy weight, professionally approved calorific intake and activity level. I still urge you to carry on doing whatever is your best course of action for your health and wellbeing.
Main point is, therapy will be hard. It is hard. It has to be hard. You're being told to re-evaluate the way you've perceived and see life, that is incredibly threatening. But in time, with the right people and willingness to go in with an open mind, you’ll come to see they had a point. Friends and family too, but I think in a different way. Let them know you’re suffering , talk to them about things. But at the same time, they might not always even know how to help and you need to try and forgive them for this.
In any case, you cannot let this dominate your whole life and consume you. It won’t always be this way!
Riku, over and out. x

:console: :console: I admire you for being so strong :smile:
And thank you. It's really really hard to see hope most of the time, pessimistic as it sounds. Ana's taken over my whole brain and won't let me escape. But screw her :lol:

:console: :console:
And RE the bold - now where have I seen this before..? :rolleyes:
Original post by Etoile
Gonna be blunt because that's what I'm like with things like this, do you have an ASD?

Wow, you're doing loads! You're going to ace it. :smile: Stood on your head, doing backflips, everything :tongue:
Do you comfort eat?
That's true. She's just another person that I let down though. Bought some new shorts today but am going to have to wear opaque tights with them though because my cuts on my thighs are too deep and too orderly to pass off as anything else.
You ARE good! You've got all these offers to study it so you must be doing something right! I am in awe of you, I still don't know how I passed GCSE chemistry :tongue: And you never know - I bet everyone else is worrying the same and then will turn out to be nice like you.

I'm not diagnosed with ASD, wouldnt be surprised if I have it tbqh. Can't deal with change very well, don't get sarcasm at all. I swear I've read somewhere that autism tends to manifest itself as an ED in girls.
Reply 3031
I'm not diagnosed with ASD, wouldnt be surprised if I have it tbqh. Can't deal with change very well, don't get sarcasm at all. I swear I've read somewhere that autism tends to manifest itself as an ED in girls.

:console:
Mmm I've read that too. Makes sense with regards to strictly following rules and stuff.
Original post by Etoile
:console:
Mmm I've read that too. Makes sense with regards to strictly following rules and stuff.

it does. probably explains why i get a bit obsessive over german. It has rules. we like rules.
Reply 3033
it does. probably explains why i get a bit obsessive over german. It has rules. we like rules.

We like rules indeed. :colone: When I was off a couple of weeks ago, my teacher asked my friend if I was in and my friend said no. My teacher's reply? "That's a shame, this is her favourite type of lesson!".... it was a whole lesson of grammar :lol:
Original post by Etoile
We like rules indeed. :colone: When I was off a couple of weeks ago, my teacher asked my friend if I was in and my friend said no. My teacher's reply? "That's a shame, this is her favourite type of lesson!".... it was a whole lesson of grammar :lol:

aww. I like the grammar when it makes sense, just not when it doesn't. I'd probably be missed during a discussion lesson, partially because they all use me as a dictionary, and because I'm the only one able to give a scientists p.o.v to the current topic.
Original post by Etoile

I effing love grammar. I'm the Grammar Queen. Grammar rules. Best type of lesson, I agree. Whenever my Italian teacher is like 'oh, we're doing a new tense and all the irregulars today' I'm just like 'WIN!'. x
Original post by jazzykinks
I effing love grammar. I'm the Grammar Queen. Grammar rules. Best type of lesson, I agree. Whenever my Italian teacher is like 'oh, we're doing a new tense and all the irregulars today' I'm just like 'WIN!'. x

I think i need to change my thinking about grammar. I do wish my german teacher would make his bloody mind up, I've gone from ,die Vokabeln Prinzessin', to begging for my predicted to go up to a B, to him telling me this morning that it's not too far fetched that I'd come out of A level with an A!
Reply 3037
Original post by jazzykinks

You sound like me! :lol: I ended up having to explain the concept of piacere and indirect objects to my class the other week because they didn't get it :facepalm2: Italian does seem to have a lot of tenses!

aww. I like the grammar when it makes sense, just not when it doesn't. I'd probably be missed during a discussion lesson, partially because they all use me as a dictionary, and because I'm the only one able to give a scientists p.o.v to the current topic.

It makes sense because it has many rules and therefore is good :yy: Although you're better off, because knowing lots of vocab and topical stuff is far better than knowing obscure pieces of grammar :smile:
Original post by Etoile
You sound like me! :lol: I ended up having to explain the concept of piacere and indirect objects to my class the other week because they didn't get it :facepalm2: Italian does seem to have a lot of tenses!

It makes sense because it has many rules and therefore is good :yy: Although you're better off, because knowing lots of vocab and topical stuff is far better than knowing obscure pieces of grammar :smile:

But it's pointless knowing ****tonnes of vocab, when I've not much more grammar than the GCSE stuff to use it with!!
Original post by sophiemay20
2 weeks without them.. gosh, I hope you get them soon! I feel awful without them even after a few days.

I was in hospital on Tuesday for over 9 hours after seeing an emergency doctor because of stabbing chest pain and constantly passing out. At the hospital I had xrays and tests and then they put me on a drip. They told me I needed to stay but I freaked out and refused, because I was scared that they'd never let me out.

They won't honestly, they just get it back to a normal level and let you go, but if you suffer with it regularly, like myself, you should maybe set up a repeat prescription with your gp for some Sando-K drink. It helps keep it in a safe region. At least while you try and get your Ed under to control. Which i know seems like sooo far away! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest