The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Eeeeeek I got an offer today for Economics Politics & International Studies at Warwick, firmed a million times over!! I'm so excited!! Woo woo woo woo wooooo

Now for crazy revising, A*AAB D:

Good luck everybody :smile:
Reply 9401
Original post by roseroserose.
Eeeeeek I got an offer today for Economics Politics & International Studies at Warwick, firmed a million times over!! I'm so excited!! Woo woo woo woo wooooo

Now for crazy revising, A*AAB D:

Good luck everybody :smile:

Congratulations! :smile:
Reply 9402
Original post by stefl14
Yep. It's unfair and such people don't deserve the offers since more qualified candidates are rejected.

I congratulate those who receive offers with lower grades than usual. However, it is devastating when someone like me and others are predicted all A*s and have a genuine interest in field rather than a sole desire to become a banker, yet didn't get into the top 5. I don't doubt that some may be as passionate as me, but I can see people around me at school, where this is not the case. It seems as though I could have put less work in the last 1 and half years and got the same offers. I wouldn't have though, because I like to do well despite less reward than expected. If I was to put my hours of work in terms of rate of return, 40% success rate on UCAS... Hmmm :frown:
Original post by xavier10146
Anyone have any ideas on which university to pick for straight L100 Economics between: UCL and Warwick.
** Indifferent to living in London or the costs associated with doing so.

The dilema is that overall many agree UCL edges Warwick in terms of prestige / rep. Even though UCL is in London and has good links with the banking industry, Warwick seems to be slightly ahead for getting more people into investment banks (the career choice i'm leaning towards).

Any input or comments welcome so feel free please!

Cheers.

DITTO so read through peoples' comments on this :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1952305&page=4&p=36895168#post36895168
Original post by Scorcher
Know someone in my school who got an offer for Bsc Economics at LSE yesterday with AABB at AS. Lucky guy.

Similar thing at my school except a girl got in with ~AAAB (L101) the B being AS Economics.
Reply 9405
Original post by -Illmatic-
Similar thing at my school except a girl got in with ~AAAB (L101) the B being AS Economics.

:stomp:
Original post by Yash13
:stomp:

Who cares though? You'll have a 10x better time at Bath fo sho. :biggrin:
Reply 9407
Original post by -Illmatic-
Who cares though? You'll have a 10x better time at Bath fo sho. :biggrin:

:biggrin: Only person to cheer me up all day. Man knows :top:

Still wtf LSE :mob: I would have atleast applied if I had known.

But like you say Bath xD
Reply 9408
Original post by Yash13
I congratulate those who receive offers with lower grades than usual. However, it is devastating when someone like me and others are predicted all A*s and have a genuine interest in field rather than a sole desire to become a banker, yet didn't get into the top 5. I don't doubt that some may be as passionate as me, but I can see people around me at school, where this is not the case. It seems as though I could have put less work in the last 1 and half years and got the same offers. I wouldn't have though, because I like to do well despite less reward than expected. If I was to put my hours of work in terms of rate of return, 40% success rate on UCAS... Hmmm :frown:

See what you think of Bath and if you don't like it just consider having a year out, it's not really a big deal.
Reply 9409
Original post by Tateco
See what you think of Bath and if you don't like it just consider having a year out, it's not really a big deal.

Yeah that is what I have been thinking. It is also very dependent on my achieved grades. I know it's just it would have been nice to share success with others, but that's life I guess. lol.
Original post by stefl14
Yep. It's unfair and such people don't deserve the offers since more qualified candidates are rejected.

You have no right to judge someone based on their AS grades alone. How do you know he wasn't going through exceptional circumstances or that his PS showed he had a great passion for econ ?

Just to let you all know:
UCL offer while back
Warwick offer yesterday
LSE offer today :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Edit: It may help some of you who are considering a gap year if I told you I took a gap year and got around 3A*A, I also have weak GCSE's - Less than 4A* 6A! Never the less I have offers form the three most notorious GCSE Nazi's, so If you have strong A2's then don't loose hope.
(edited 12 years ago)
Ok the wait is over, finally! I've got my LSE rejection one hour ago. I've always known it's hard to get an offer from LSE if you don't do A Levels or the IB. So I've kinda expected it. I would have loved to study in London but I guess it's going to be Warwick then :smile: Now I just have to work for the required grades :cool:

Congrats to everyone who received an offer today! :smile:
Reply 9412
Original post by nightmare91
Ok the wait is over, finally! I've got my LSE rejection one hour ago. I've always known it's hard to get an offer from LSE if you don't do A Levels or the IB. So I've kinda expected it. I would have loved to study in London but I guess it's going to be Warwick then :smile: Now I just have to work for the required grades :cool:

Congrats to everyone who received an offer today! :smile:

Unlucky mate, you deserved to get in but I'm sure you will have an amazing time at Warwick :smile:

Original post by member910132
You have no right to judge someone based on their AS grades alone. How do you know he wasn't going through exceptional circumstances or that his PS showed he had a great passion for econ ?

Just to let you all know:
UCL offer while back
Warwick offer yesterday
LSE offer today :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Edit: It may help some of you who are considering a gap year if I told you I took a gap year and got around 3A*A, I also have weak GCSE's - Less than 4A* 6A! Never the less I have offers form the three most notorious GCSE Nazi's, so If you have strong A2's then don't loose hope.

Well done! :smile:
Original post by Tateco
Unlucky mate, you deserved to get in but I'm sure you will have an amazing time at Warwick :smile:

Thank you! I think so too. The Oxford rejection hurt much much more :tongue: So I suppose you're firming UCL then? Or will you decide after the Bath Open Day?
Reply 9414
Original post by nightmare91
Thank you! I think so too. The Oxford rejection hurt much much more :tongue: So I suppose you're firming UCL then? Or will you decide after the Bath Open Day?

Yeah I can imagine :smile: I'm going to firm UCL unless I decide to have a gap year :biggrin:
Original post by Yash13
it is devastating when someone like me and others are predicted all A*s and have a genuine interest in field rather than a sole desire to become a banker, yet didn't get into the top 5.

Don't most people primarily go to uni to get a degree to improve job prospects? Why else would a vast majority of people pay 27k for it... I might go into banking but doesn't mean I don't have an interest for economics?

But anyway. what subjects did you do at AS and what did you get in them (percentage-wise)?

EDIT: just saw you only applied to two of the top 5? I applied to 4 of them and only got offers from UCL+LSE. If you knew you were capable off straight A*s why not apply to all of them, that was my logic when i applied... The unis are independent of each other so even though Warwick rejected you, you could've been holding a UCL/LSE offer, i saw today someone rejected from LSE but has Cambridge. The whole process is crazy!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9416
Original post by funkydee
Don't most people primarily go to uni to get a degree to improve job prospects? Why else would a vast majority of people pay 27k for it... I might go into banking but doesn't mean I don't have an interest for economics?

But anyway. what subjects did you do at AS and what did you get in them (percentage-wise)?

This. I hate the stigma associated with it, it's only annoying when it gets to the point people associate economics degrees with investment banking as if it is your only possible option.
Original post by Tateco
This. I hate the stigma associated with it, it's only annoying when it gets to the point people associate economics degrees with investment banking as if it is your only possible option.

I blame the media for a lot of it, most people arent even aware of what they do!
But you've hit the nail on the head, tried to give pos rep but I was greeted with the message "Please rate some other members before rating this member again." haha
Reply 9418
Original post by funkydee
I blame the media for a lot of it, most people arent even aware of what they do!
But you've hit the nail on the head, tried to give pos rep but I was greeted with the message "Please rate some other members before rating this member again." haha

Yeah definitely, you can't tar everyone that works in an investment bank with the same brush just because there is a handful of irresponsible ones. That happens all to often on this thread with me :tongue: You set on LSE then?
Original post by Tateco
Yeah definitely, you can't tar everyone that works in an investment bank with the same brush just because there is a handful of irresponsible ones. That happens all to often on this thread with me :tongue: You set on LSE then?

Most definitely! Unless i REALLY dislike LSE at the visit day for some strange reason but ive been there a fair few times already!

Latest

Trending

Trending