The Student Room Group

BSMS Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .eXe
Ah great choice! May I ask how you arrived at the decision? Feel free to PM me your response :smile: And yep, BSMS is my first choice, but I am also really interested in Liverpool. Haven't got an offer from there yet but hopefully I'll hear soon.

Well, I have an interest in academic medicine, and for this I eliminated BSMS on the grounds that the opportunities there for academic medicine aren't so established as those at St Andrews or Manchester. By that, I'm mainly talking about the potential to do masters during intercalation at Manchester/St As, which isn't explicit for BSMS. Also, there's a lot more active encouragement to do academic at Manchester and St Andrews, and as Russel/1994 Group unis, they obviously get more funding for that kind of thing. That's a shame really, because I loved the atmosphere down in Brighton! Never mind.

As for the toss-up between Manchester and St Andrews, I had a tour and open day on the interview day at St Andrews and an offer holders' day at Manchester today. I'm wholly swayed by Manchester, because it offers all that St As does and more in my opinion. Obviously, things like the close knit community vs big city are down to personal preference, but that didn't really affect my decision. What did surprise me was how much I enjoyed PBL today at Manchester (we did a mock session). Since they do PBL, dissection, lectures, research and they're revamping the library, SU, dissection rooms and building new simulation wards at Manchester for 2012, they pretty much stole the lead. :biggrin:
Reply 1261
Original post by CraigKirk
Well, I have an interest in academic medicine, and for this I eliminated BSMS on the grounds that the opportunities there for academic medicine aren't so established as those at St Andrews or Manchester. By that, I'm mainly talking about the potential to do masters during intercalation at Manchester/St As, which isn't explicit for BSMS. Also, there's a lot more active encouragement to do academic at Manchester and St Andrews, and as Russel/1994 Group unis, they obviously get more funding for that kind of thing. That's a shame really, because I loved the atmosphere down in Brighton! Never mind.

As for the toss-up between Manchester and St Andrews, I had a tour and open day on the interview day at St Andrews and an offer holders' day at Manchester today. I'm wholly swayed by Manchester, because it offers all that St As does and more in my opinion. Obviously, things like the close knit community vs big city are down to personal preference, but that didn't really affect my decision. What did surprise me was how much I enjoyed PBL today at Manchester (we did a mock session). Since they do PBL, dissection, lectures, research and they're revamping the library, SU, dissection rooms and building new simulation wards at Manchester for 2012, they pretty much stole the lead. :biggrin:

Hey, thanks for your reply. I'm glad you had the great opportunity to objectively make a decision about which school is right for you. Although PBL is great, and self-directed learning can be an excellent learning experience, I do prefer having a didactic approach just because I find I learn better that way. Also, since I will be in a brand new country, where I have never lived before, adding high level of stress of PBL would be another detriment. Finally, I really like the level of anatomy teaching at BSMS and the fact that my degree is in anatomy really compels me to go there. Also, since I already have a degree and a number of publications under my belt, research prestige isn't something I am too concerned about. Brighton definitely has an option to intercalate into a Masters. I will be doing that and I made it a point to ask during my interview :smile:

Although it sucks that we may never meet, UK is definitely a small country and perhaps I shall plan a trip to Manchester to laugh at you all for picking it instead of Brighton haha! Just kidding, good luck with everything man wish you all the best!! And thanks again for your help to my questions prior to my interview :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1262
Still super excited. Finally received the UCAS letter confirming my decision to firm the offer. 158 days people!
Do you guys know what sort of medical tests they want us to do? Just go to GP and ask them to sign the paper?
Reply 1263
Original post by .eXe
unconditional!!!!!!!!!!!

international applicant!!!! Soo happy!!!!!!!

Whoop whoop! Well done mate. Are you going to firm it? If so, see you in 158 days!!
Reply 1264
Original post by diurno
Whoop whoop! Well done mate. Are you going to firm it? If so, see you in 158 days!!

Thanks mate! I dunno how to firm lol, first time using UCAS. There is no reply button yet so I have no idea how I am supposed to accept it :s BSMS is def my first choice, but I am still waiting on Liverpool and I would like to hear that decision before I can firm.
Reply 1265
Original post by .eXe
Thanks mate! I dunno how to firm lol, first time using UCAS. There is no reply button yet so I have no idea how I am supposed to accept it :s BSMS is def my first choice, but I am still waiting on Liverpool and I would like to hear that decision before I can firm.

Oh you have to wait for all your decisions. So unless you want to withdraw from Liverpool you have to wait for them to give you an offer or reject you, then you will see a button on the choices menu saying "Reply to your offers" and you click Firm next to BSMS. :biggrin:.
Hope you hear from Liverpool soon! It's feels good to click on that Decline button, having the power in your hands for once. Hehe.
Reply 1266
So has BSMS sent out any more offers? This thread has been so quiet! Are there any other applicants waiting?
Reply 1267
Original post by .eXe
So has BSMS sent out any more offers? This thread has been so quiet! Are there any other applicants waiting?

Hello congrats on the offer!

I've also been following the Liverpool thread and see you have an offer from there too, well done! :smile:
It's weird because i got an offer from BSMS in December and love it! I also loved liverpool and got the offer this afternoon.. and it's such a good offer!

What are you going to do? I'm pretty set on Brighton as i love it! but i'm swayed by Liverpools amazing offer which will definitely relieve stress...
Thanks in advance for your reply :smile:
Reply 1268
Original post by Nattyt

I've also been following the Liverpool thread and see you have an offer from there too, well done! :smile:
It's weird because i got an offer from BSMS in December and love it! I also loved liverpool and got the offer this afternoon.. and it's such a good offer!

What are you going to do? I'm pretty set on Brighton as i love it! but i'm swayed by Liverpools amazing offer which will definitely relieve stress...

Hey thank you! Congrats on your offers as well :smile:

To be honest, I have no idea.

Things I really like about BSMS:
- dissections
- solid anatomy teaching
- traditional teaching style
- small program, very close contact with professors and students
- only 6 international students so greater chance of getting scholarships, support

Things I really like about Liverpool:
- amazing city! I like it a lot more then Brighton.
- I support Liverpool FC!
- PBL (now I am a little iffy here because I have heard both sides of the story. Namely that PBL can make you a great doctor, but can be extremely tedious, time consuming and downright difficult). I still see it as a plus for the school because I know several good medical schools in Canada that use it, and even Harvard Medicine uses PBL so there HAS to be some good in that teaching style.

So these are some of my factors. It will definitely be a hard decision but feel free to keep in touch, we can help each other out trying to figure this out :smile: All the best! Either way, we will be doctors whooo hoo!!
Original post by Nattyt

Hi I'm only in year 12 and really looking to do med in liverpool. What offer did you get if you don't mind me asking. I mean I would like to know some examples of offers. :smile:
Reply 1270
Original post by Future_Dr
Hi I'm only in year 12 and really looking to do med in liverpool. What offer did you get if you don't mind me asking. I mean I would like to know some examples of offers. :smile:

Hello!

Well my Brighton offer was the standard AAA/A*AB and from Liverpool again my offer was AAA, but i did an A level in french a year early and got an A and Liverpool have taken this into account. So out of the 3 A levels i am taking in june i only need 2A's in Biology and Chemistry, Which is the biggest relief as Maths is a bit touch and go as to whether i'll get the A.

Most medical schools (i originally thought all of them) give the standard 3A's in one sitting. so to get this offer has been a huge bonus!
Good luck with the applications and i hope this has helped?
Reply 1271
Original post by .eXe
Hey thank you! Congrats on your offers as well :smile:

To be honest, I have no idea.

Things I really like about BSMS:
- dissections
- solid anatomy teaching
- traditional teaching style
- small program, very close contact with professors and students
- only 6 international students so greater chance of getting scholarships, support

Things I really like about Liverpool:
- amazing city! I like it a lot more then Brighton.
- I support Liverpool FC!
- PBL (now I am a little iffy here because I have heard both sides of the story. Namely that PBL can make you a great doctor, but can be extremely tedious, time consuming and downright difficult). I still see it as a plus for the school because I know several good medical schools in Canada that use it, and even Harvard Medicine uses PBL so there HAS to be some good in that teaching style.

So these are some of my factors. It will definitely be a hard decision but feel free to keep in touch, we can help each other out trying to figure this out :smile: All the best! Either way, we will be doctors whooo hoo!!

Ahh we're in such a tricky situation. But i think i will probably will firm BSMS as i think it's amazing, my cousin graduated from here in 2010 and had the time of her life and another friend is in her 4th year and they have completely sold it! It's just amazing to even have the choice though! And i agree about PBL.. and i also support Liverpool haha and love the beatles! But Brighton is literally one of the biggest clubbing cities in the UK so this makes me happy :smile: but yeah as you say we're both going to be Doctors yeaaah! Kepp me updated it will interesting to know!
Original post by Nattyt
Hello!

Well my Brighton offer was the standard AAA/A*AB and from Liverpool again my offer was AAA, but i did an A level in french a year early and got an A and Liverpool have taken this into account. So out of the 3 A levels i am taking in june i only need 2A's in Biology and Chemistry, Which is the biggest relief as Maths is a bit touch and go as to whether i'll get the A.

Most medical schools (i originally thought all of them) give the standard 3A's in one sitting. so to get this offer has been a huge bonus!
Good luck with the applications and i hope this has helped?

Wow that awsome. congrats.:smile: and yh its really up to you, one problem out the way. that is an offer being placed. you have two and now deciding, taking other factors into consideration. Good luck.
Original post by .eXe

Yeah, Im still waiting for a reply, been on the holding list since november! Been such a wait! Was told that I would hear end of march/start of april, so any day now i guess.
Reply 1274
Original post by HarrietAC
Yeah, Im still waiting for a reply, been on the holding list since november! Been such a wait! Was told that I would hear end of march/start of april, so any day now i guess.

Ah good stuff, is BSMS your first choice? (it better be lol)

Has anyone else heard these past few days!
Original post by .eXe
Ah good stuff, is BSMS your first choice? (it better be lol)

Has anyone else heard these past few days!

No idea yet! haha, when I applied I was set on going to BSMS, but i've kinda warmed up to Peninsula, probably because i have an offer there. I cant decide whether I would be too bother if the med school didnt teach with cadavers. BSMS do, PMS doesnt. I reckon cadavers are a really good learning tool, but at PMS they do anatomy all inteactive and on models. Both are relatively easy to fly to, gatwick or exeter, so just weighing up the pro's and con's of both just incase I get a choice of offers!
Reply 1276
Original post by HarrietAC
No idea yet! haha, when I applied I was set on going to BSMS, but i've kinda warmed up to Peninsula, probably because i have an offer there. I cant decide whether I would be too bother if the med school didnt teach with cadavers. BSMS do, PMS doesnt. I reckon cadavers are a really good learning tool, but at PMS they do anatomy all inteactive and on models. Both are relatively easy to fly to, gatwick or exeter, so just weighing up the pro's and con's of both just incase I get a choice of offers!

Pick BSMS, here's 3 reasons:

- You might finally get to see who .eXe really is :tongue:
- If anatomy teaching is really important to you (as it is to me) then BSMS is the best choice. Theirs is fully integrated, with theoretical learning, clinical models, dissections along with imaging. It really is the most comprehensive model for anatomy teaching.
- Smaller school so great interaction with students/profs

Some bad things about it though:

- I don't like Brighton, it's very small and really expensive
- Their football team is **** :tongue:
- It's a relatively newer school (this can be both a positive and a negative)

In my opinion, the pros outweight the cons, but I am still deciding myself because there's quite a bit I like about Liverpool, I just can't get over the PBL aspect. Lots of thinking to do!
Original post by .eXe
Pick BSMS, here's 3 reasons:

- You might finally get to see who .eXe really is :tongue:
- If anatomy teaching is really important to you (as it is to me) then BSMS is the best choice. Theirs is fully integrated, with theoretical learning, clinical models, dissections along with imaging. It really is the most comprehensive model for anatomy teaching.
- Smaller school so great interaction with students/profs

Some bad things about it though:

- I don't like Brighton, it's very small and really expensive
- Their football team is **** :tongue:
- It's a relatively newer school (this can be both a positive and a negative)

In my opinion, the pros outweight the cons, but I am still deciding myself because there's quite a bit I like about Liverpool, I just can't get over the PBL aspect. Lots of thinking to do!

You don't already go to BSMS, right? And have you ever even been to Brighton?
Reply 1278
Original post by Carpet21
You don't already go to BSMS, right? And have you ever even been to Brighton?

Nope I have an offer to start this year. And yes, I went there for my interview and stayed a few days.

edit: are you a student there? if yes, can you please post a bit about the school and city? what I posted earlier are my opinions but i'd love to hear some first-hand stuff from current students.
Original post by .eXe
Nope I have an offer to start this year. And yes, I went there for my interview and stayed a few days.

edit: are you a student there? if yes, can you please post a bit about the school and city? what I posted earlier are my opinions but i'd love to hear some first-hand stuff from current students.

Yeah I'm a student here, school and city are amazing. It's fair enough that Brighton doesn't appeal to you, but people have come here from all over the country and agree that it's easily one of the best student cities in the country. Sure I'll pm you some stuff about the school/city at some point when I get the chance to, I'll see if I can persuade you to pick BSMS. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending