The Student Room Group

What university to choose

Hi guys,

St.Andrews/York/Bath/Manchester/Newcastle (Computer Science)

Dunno which one to choose.Most likely St.Andrews but I want to hear your feedback.If you were me, which one would you choose and why? Which one do you think is better for computer science and why? Just give me the pros and cons.

Regards,
Zhaniel
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
St. Andrews is definitely ranked the highest out of those... have you visited it? It is VERY different to any of your other choices in terms of the feel / size of the place.

I know a few people studying CS there who seem pretty happy.
Reply 2
I had a chance to visit it when they sent me an invitation to an open day, but I didn't. I know it is very different and wonder whether I will like it or not. Are there opportunities for part-time jobs while studying and actually how difficult it is to find a flat for the second year. Also I wonder whether the 2k-3k-ish accomodation is worth.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by GREED
I had a chance to visit it when they sent me an invitation to an open day, but I didn't. I know it is very different and wonder whether I will like it or not. Are there opportunities for part-time jobs while studying and actually how difficult it is to find a flat for the second year. Also I wonder whether the 2k-3k-ish accomodation is worth.

There's a visiting day in April: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/admissions/ug/visiting/ you can book online there.

Yes there are certainly opportunities for part time jobs & the careers centre here will help you find one. Finding a flat can be a bit of a rush but you'll manage. Accommodation is generally quite expensive though.

The 2-3k accommodation isn't pretty, but Albany Park isn't too far out of town and it's by the beach.
If it were me id firm St. Andrews and put Bath as my insurance, both are great universities and very nice places. Neither are big cities like Manchester or Newcastle though, so it depends what you prefer. You wouldnt go far wrong accepting any of those offers, although the first 4 are better than Newcastle, in my opinion.

St. Andrews, Bath, Manchester, York, Newcastle is how I would order them.
Reply 5
Is there any difference between english graduate diploma and scottish. Are there any advantages ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending