The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RocKeRG
The problem is I don't think number of auditions, keenness, or how early the audition was will be considered at all. They are looking for certain people according to whatever criteria they have laid down, and it's likely that some February auditionees will be more suited to some of the roles than November reserves. So the reserves will simply be left in limbo until they are needed. Who knows what criteria they'll use then! What a nightmare! Hang in there!

I do agree with RockerG. Looong wait to go
Reply 5121
Original post by cornishscot
I just hope that once they have selected who they definitely WANT from both rounds of auditions that those who auditioned first are somehow up higher on this list of RESERVES that they have still to place should the need arise to do so.

Only other way which would be fair would be to rank us with points in different categories and the recruit accordingly.

Whether or not you have auditioned for both Olympics and Paras (in separate rounds of auditions Nov./Feb.) should have no bearing on their final decision whatsoever.

No way should anyone who has auditioned 3 times get selected ahead of someone who has only auditioned twice based purely on that factor alone, nor should our commitment be questioned by not accepting the invite to audition for the paras. - some of us are simply NOT available to do all the rehearsals for that due to other commitments including work - we can't all make ourselves available 24/7, 4 or 5 times a week from April to September or whatever (but this does not detract from the fact that we still want to take part in what we originally auditioned for back in November, namely Olympics opening and/or closing ceremonies).

Oh well, back to the never ending wait for me and a few others on here in the meantime I suppose ! <sigh>

Hi CornishScot

I certainly don't doubt your commitment and hope you don't feel that I do from the message I posted to encourage Cinnamon and Fyrecracker to 'keep the faith'. They certainly are committed, and having another go (especially keeping going with a broken foot !) is just one of many ways to show that.
You are right in that no-one should be given priority just based on the number of auditions they have attended. But I guess this means that those of us from the first round also shouldn't be given priority over those from the second. They may not have gone in the first round just because they didn't come across the initial publicity. I still come across people who say ' I would love to have had a go at that, how did you find out about it ?'

Here's hoping that everyone who in their heart of hearts really wants this can come away with a role somewhere.
Reply 5122
Original post by cornishscot
Photo, what photo would this be then? Could you maybe provide a link to it here for us who do not know what you're talking about/haven't seen it yet, please?

Thanks in advance.

Original post by galactica2009
The foto from mini para auditions with cinnamon, fyrecracker, adelie, dancersmum, rafiki and me:smile:

As taken with Galactica's camera by someone we press ganged from an olympic sponsors display when they were just packing up to go. So up to Galactica to consider providing a link or maybe bring the photo this weekend.:party2:
But if you see it now won't it take the fun out of guessing who we are on Saturday ? :wink:. We should be able to get an even better one then !!

:party2:
Hi guys,

Are there any other opening ceremony 49ers out there who are starting rehearsals on the afternoon of 14 April??

xx
Morning all!

I've got my Props/Staging interview later today! Not entirely sure what to expect whatsoever! Has anyone been to one? I was hoping to hear about the outcome of the ceremonies auditions before this evening as I can't do both but the wait still continues- does anyone else wake up each morning thinking: 'Is THIS going to be the day I hear?'... my positivism then disappears by 5pm each day...

Let's hope we all get some very good news very very very soon
Original post by RocKeRG
The problem is I don't think number of auditions, keenness, or how early the audition was will be considered at all. They are looking for certain people according to whatever criteria they have laid down, and it's likely that some February auditionees will be more suited to some of the roles than November reserves. So the reserves will simply be left in limbo until they are needed. Who knows what criteria they'll use then! What a nightmare! Hang in there!

I agree. It's like any other performing arts auditions - they know what they want and if they haven't seen it yet, they have to audition again, or call on people they already know from other shows and/or re-choreograph what they are doing for smaller numbers.

My experiences over the years as a reserve for shows has been once being called up mid-rehearsals when they discovered they needed an extra person, one daughter being called up by a ballet company 2 weeks before they started rehearsals (having had a "no" 2 months before) and one daughter being a reserve for panto and never being called, so hanging on till the last show not knowing. Hopefully the reserves will know sooner than that here!
Reply 5126
Original post by timefortea
Morning all!

I've got my Props/Staging interview later today! Not entirely sure what to expect whatsoever! Has anyone been to one? I was hoping to hear about the outcome of the ceremonies auditions before this evening as I can't do both but the wait still continues- does anyone else wake up each morning thinking: 'Is THIS going to be the day I hear?'... my positivism then disappears by 5pm each day...

Good luck with that !
My interview was quite straightforward, questions were more focused on why do you want to do this, and how committed and enthusiastic you were, rather on what technical ability you had. Although I guess this might depend on which role with props and staging you are going for eg if its construction of scenery I expect they would want to know that you have the appropriate artistic/construction skills.
The atmosphere was very friendly, but like everything else on here don't expect to hear that quickly - I have been waiting nearly 5 weeks !
So you will probably get the ceremony results first before you have to make a decision - here's hoping !
Reply 5127
Original post by timefortea
Morning all!

The very best of luck with your interview today. Fingers crossed. Re waiting - it's all you can do unfortunately but do keep the faith and stay positive :crossedf:
Reply 5128
Original post by 42RAFIKI
I just open up each message quote in a new tab and then copy and paste to put them all together.

Seems like only Olympic ceremonies performers have been cast this week. Hope there's not too many of them and then they get on to Paras and reserves asap.

Thanks Rafiki, I'll give that a go.
An article from the BBC web site today

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17525402

Hmm. Well we are not dreading it are we?

Fingers crossed for everyone still waiting. Would it not be fabulous if everybody had positive news before our meet up on Saturday? The weather forecast is more promising I see - colder than this week but the threat of rain seems to have disappeared.
Cast Offers / Reserves / Cast Updates

Having read various posts on this thread, my take on the whole email thing from the Casting team is as follows.

I know that there are a few of us on here who've received not only Cast Offers but also Cast Updates, whilst there are many of us who received Cast Offers but no updates. Then there's the "no response", "reserves" and "holdings".

Having had a think about the whole process, my belief is Segments that received "Cast Update" emails are the Segments that are full. The Segments that have not received Cast Updates, the Cast Team are most probably finalising numbers for those relevant Segments and once those Segments are full, not only will any outstanding Cast Offer emails be sent but also those emails will be followed by a whole Segment Cast Update email. My reasoning behind this is that they'll probably would want to save time sending one generic email to everybody in one hit, rather than sending Updates to those who've already been cast, then having to send the same email to newly selected volunteers separately at a later date.

Top of their priority will most probably be the Segments who will be auditioning first (i.e. beginning / mid April) and then later on, concentrating on the Segments that have the later rehearsal dates.

As for the "reserves", "not heards" and "holdings", as mentioned a few times on here and I know it sounds corney saying the same cliche but I'm sure that they're trying to find which Segments would be best and as mentioned before, you have to factor in the "drop outs" factor.

Apologies for my non-comment with regards to the meetup on Saturday. Unfortunately I will not be able to go as I'll be on training course that weekend. Will be thinking of you guys in your "pinks" and will be there in spirit.
Original post by Dancerwoman

Having had a think about the whole process, my belief is Segments that received "Cast Update" emails are the Segments that are full.

I received my Cast Update before Feb auditionees got their offers for 'my' segment...there goes the theory, sorry, Dancerwoman! :wink:

I think the segments are all managed quite differently, hence the variation in communication, which makes it hard to detect any system from the outside. Also, they are probably still designing the details for some segments, and the number of performers might be a rather dynamic variable.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5132
Hi All,

Been too busy to post recently but looking forward to Saturday meet up :-) Hope the other 47A-ers can make it.

My colleague has just (last week) found out they will be in closing ceremony after an audition 3 weeks ago via their dance group. I can't reveal type of dancing but it seems it was all quite last minute and there were some other groups on the day auditioning. They got in against 4 other troupes of same style. They had to do their own routine and quickly get extra people as they needed a set number. They have a much shorter rehearsal schedule than me but I guess they will be just in a segment or backing a particular singer/band (they'll be sent the tune soon). I also suspect they will be in a static location or on a float or something as they'd need to have known to add in co-ordinates (which meant nothing to my colleague).

Anyway no other news of casting - brilliant that some of you are still finding out. Totally agree it is probably random and done by segment. I entered my partner in the 'backstage' roles a few days after it closed and she still got contacted but decided wanted to wait on reserve news. We are confident the reserves deserve and will be called up eventually!
Ropey1
Original post by *Showgirl*
Hi guys,

Are there any other opening ceremony 49ers out there who are starting rehearsals on the afternoon of 14 April??

xx

Hi Showgirl - I am on the next day bright and early! Anyone else?

Have fun!!!
Reply 5134
Really hope the interview went well timefortea, have been thinking about you.
Original post by Pinnerite
An article from the BBC web site today

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17525402

Hmm. Well we are not dreading it are we?

There really are some misery-guts out there who like to portray doom and gloom about everything. You could argue that TFL etc are portraying the worst possible scenario re transport/jams so that if it's not as bad, everyone is pleasantly surprised. It is better than the opposite; saying there should be no trouble and then if there's a 5 minute delay, everyone goes potty.

I'm sure when all the Olympic street stuff goes up and people start arriving, excitement will grow.
Original post by Flakeydom
There really are some misery-guts out there who like to portray doom and gloom about everything. You could argue that TFL etc are portraying the worst possible scenario re transport/jams so that if it's not as bad, everyone is pleasantly surprised. It is better than the opposite; saying there should be no trouble and then if there's a 5 minute delay, everyone goes potty.

I'm sure when all the Olympic street stuff goes up and people start arriving, excitement will grow.

Agreed. I remember there was a big backlash re: the Royal Wedding but when it got nearer to the date, suddenly you had people saying how it would be good event in raising people's spirits and taking our minds (albeit, very briefly) off the economic climate! You'll probably get the same again with the Olympics. It's still a few months away so you're gonna get the neggie publicity first then as it gets nearer you're gonna get the tide swaying in its favour.
Hiya!

Just returned from the Props/Scenery interview- thank you very much everyone for your support and words of encouragement (isn't the forum ace?!). They were super friendly, it was all very relaxed. They said they are lacking in numbers and have extended the deadline to apply to Monday April 2nd! The only qualifications needed were enthusiasm and reliability they said! And there are opportunities to be in the actual ceremonies, being involved in scene changes for example. More detail here: http://www.london2012.com/games/ceremonies/get-involved/crew/workforce-volunteers.php
Wonderful news timefortea. Did they give any idea as to when you'll hear further? Will be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

As for the link, I will try for the very last time to get my other half to apply. Would any of the positions involving lighting and electrical work as that's my other half's field as opposed to the dancing / performance side of things.
Guys group is getting bigger!.....we have 20 auditionees at mo...
The group created just for us is @ facebook.com/#!/groups/309189792476509/ (search bar: DANCE OLYMPIC AUDITIONS 2012 Opening/Closing Ceremonies) Join the energy!

Good luck, Stay Bright & Stay connected!

x

Latest