The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tateco
Yeah I can imagine :smile: I'm going to firm UCL unless I decide to have a gap year :biggrin:

That's great! I am sure you'll enjoy your time at UCL. Keep me/us updated :wink:

Oh and I always wanted to ask all of you: Are you planning on working hard in order to get a first at university? Or would you be satisfied with the standard 2.1?

I know quite a few people that say a 2.1 would be enough and that they would rather go out more often than working so hard... But I kind of have this need to work towards the best possible grade. I don't know why :biggrin:
Reply 9421
Original post by nightmare91
That's great! I am sure you'll enjoy your time at UCL. Keep me/us updated :wink:

Oh and I always wanted to ask all of you: Are you planning on working hard in order to get a first at university? Or would you be satisfied with the standard 2.1?

I know quite a few people that say a 2.1 would be enough and that they would rather go out more often than working so hard... But I kind of have this need to work towards the best possible grade. I don't know why :biggrin:

Same with you and Warwick!

Good question, I personally really want to get a first at the moment (to make sure top masters courses are accessible should I decide to follow that route) but that may change as I settle into university :tongue: I think it's important to make the most of the opportunity when we are having to pay so much for it.
Ok the wait is over, finally! I've got my LSE rejection one hour ago. I've always known it's hard to get an offer from LSE if you don't do A Levels or the IB. So I've kinda expected it. I would have loved to study in London but I guess it's going to be Warwick then :smile: Now I just have to work for the required grades :cool:

Congrats to everyone who received an offer today! :smile:

:five: join the club! aww Sven. We are so rad.
Original post by Brand New Eyes

Ok the wait is over, finally! I've got my LSE rejection one hour ago. I've always known it's hard to get an offer from LSE if you don't do A Levels or the IB. So I've kinda expected it. I would have loved to study in London but I guess it's going to be Warwick then :smile: Now I just have to work for the required grades :cool:

Congrats to everyone who received an offer today! :smile:

Sorry to hear :frown:
Original post by Tateco
I think it looks like a good starting point, lots of opportunities.

Thanks very much, how are things with you?

Cheers :biggrin: hopefully we'll be classmates :tongue:

Decision still not made! Might make a poll here soon.
Reply 9425
Original post by WalkerPrince
Decision still not made! Might make a poll here soon.

Go for it! I would personally go for UCL L101 but I chose UCL over LSE for straight economics in the first place when I applied, I prefer the course. I was also worried that LSE having high-profile lecturers might make them less accessible.
Reply 9426
Original post by greatness
What do you think of firming Warwick? Is it a good uni for straight economics?

Didn't you do any research before applying?

Yes we are :wink: So what are your plans now? Have you heard from all your unis?
Yes we are :wink: So what are your plans now? Have you heard from all your unis?

I have as of now. Erm still unsure/on the fence :smile:
Original post by jamiepango
Sorry to hear :frown:

Nah that's ok. I don't care as much as I had initially thought I would :biggrin: I guess I'll just have to wait a couple of years to get the full London experience when applying for internships or a Master's programme :cool:
I have as of now. Erm still unsure/on the fence :smile:

Still considering taking a year out? What would be your firm choice right now?
Nah that's ok. I don't care as much as I had initially thought I would :biggrin: I guess I'll just have to wait a couple of years to get the full London experience when applying for internships or a Master's programme :cool:

At the goldman sachs? :colone:

hehe MASTERS!? :eek: woah, thinking ahead... it only costs about £0.0002 * 10^8

Still considering taking a year out? What would be your firm choice right now?

I think so :/ erm... none of them :getmecoat:

To all those who went to Bath today, what did you think?
x

If there was anyone who deserved an offer, it was you. You'll go to Warwick, you'll love it, you'll meet awesome people who have a life beyond their Economics textbooks, you'll graduate with a first class honours degree and then, if you want to downgrade to the likes of LSE, you'll apply there for your Masters. Simples.

Glad to hear, and Warwick is awesome anyway :biggrin:

To all those who went to Bath today, what did you think?

The first guy at the talk sounded like a meerkat :colone:

I loved Bath, will make my choice harder... What did you think?
Reply 9434
Original post by funkydee
Don't most people primarily go to uni to get a degree to improve job prospects? Why else would a vast majority of people pay 27k for it... I might go into banking but doesn't mean I don't have an interest for economics?

But anyway. what subjects did you do at AS and what did you get in them (percentage-wise)?

EDIT: just saw you only applied to two of the top 5? I applied to 4 of them and only got offers from UCL+LSE. If you knew you were capable off straight A*s why not apply to all of them, that was my logic when i applied... The unis are independent of each other so even though Warwick rejected you, you could've been holding a UCL/LSE offer, i saw today someone rejected from LSE but has Cambridge. The whole process is crazy!

I suppose for the majority that is true. We both have an interest in Economics, which is still very young. At the moment, we only have heard about career options and have looked at statistics. We have not experienced any graduate professions. For some being an economist is more rewarding than a banker despite the difference in salary. But your view is embedded in my mind as well.

I have made weird subject choices as I wanted to become an IT analyst initially as I never really cared about salaries but I would rather do something that I enjoyed. I then took Economics and realised it was far more interesting.

Thinking of becoming an IT analyst I took Computing, Mathematics and Economics (after deciding not to do Physics). I had already done IT AS and finished the A2 in Year 12. I got A*, which counts for f all....

I got an average of 88% (All As) in the mentioned subjects at AS and IT A2.

I was predicted A*A*A* due to showing great improvement in Year 13.

I thought I would never get into any London universities and was not appealed by the thought of universities in a city. That is why I went for more campus oriented Universities and thought Durham would be a safer bet than UCL and that Warwick was easier to get into than LSE... I thought that was pretty obvious. I am not so sure now. But whatever Bath was excellent and I am happy to go there, I just feel I let myself down and my family.

Hope you guys are happy though, I will see you in London in my placement year :colone:
Original post by -Illmatic-
If there was anyone who deserved an offer, it was you. You'll go to Warwick, you'll love it, you'll meet awesome people who have a life beyond their Economics textbooks, you'll graduate with a first class honours degree and then, if you want to downgrade to the likes of LSE, you'll apply there for your Masters. Simples.

Thank you mate, I really appreciate this. :smile:
Reply 9436
Rejection from LSE btw, so disappointed. I asked for feedback and just got a generic one 'PS not good'. Do you guys think I still have a chance if I get good result this summer and ask for extra place? thanks
Reply 9437
Original post by kim192
Rejection from LSE btw, so disappointed. I asked for feedback and just got a generic one 'PS not good'. Do you guys think I still have a chance if I get good result this summer and ask for extra place? thanks

I'm sorry to hear about your rejection but I can categorically say that there is no chance of that happening. You can always have another go next year if that's what you really want. Where did you get offers from?
Reply 9438
UCL, I think there would be lots of people failing to meet their offer and if my result can prove how much I am committed to Eco, there is still a chance though it is very very slim, so disappointed as I've chosen to take all their favorable subjects and tried hard to get gud grades and prediction:frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9439
Original post by kim192
UCL

Lol I would die to have that. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending