The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

TMA results - what are the bands?

I remember reading that there are bands for the different percentage results? (e.g. Good, Excellent etc.) Does anyone have a link to that?

Please quote me when you reply.

Scroll to see replies

First I've heard of it for TMAs. Anything above 80 is a pretty good job though. I think an overall course mark, above 90% is a Grade 1 pass. But below that I'm not sure.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
SunburnedCactus
First I've heard of it for TMAs. Anything above 80 is a pretty good job though. I think an overall course mark, above 90% is a Grade 1 pass. But below that I'm not sure.

OK, thanks.
Reply 3
University Scale Score
Performance Standard
Score Range %
---
Pass 1
Excellent
85–100
---
Pass 2
Good
70–84
---
Pass 3
Clear pass
55–69
---
Pass 4
Bare pass
40–54
---
Fail 5
Bare fail
30–39
---
Fail 5
Fail
15–29
---
Fail 5
Bad fail
0–14
---

As stated in one of my course assignment booklets.
Ah, mystery solved. That's a big arse then, I got 84 on the first course I finished. Also I do wonder why they bother distinguishing between "Fail" and "Bad fail".
Reply 5
What's the name of the booklet that was in?

One thing I do know is that for the final TMA of the course I'm doing, you have to get over 30/100 to pass the course.

½+½
University Scale Score
Performance Standard
Score Range %
---
Pass 1
Excellent
85–100
---
Pass 2
Good
70–84
---
Pass 3
Clear pass
55–69
---
Pass 4
Bare pass
40–54
---
Fail 5
Bare fail
30–39
---
Fail 5
Fail
15–29
---
Fail 5
Bad fail
0–14
---

As stated in one of my course assignment booklets.
Reply 6
What are these used for then?
Reply 7
My courses state that 40% is a pass.

The booklet is my finance course assignment booklet.

I guess they are used for your own benefit, to see the progress you are making through the TMAs. I've got a copy of the scale on my wall, helps to give motivation.
Reply 8
I believe that they are used for level 2 and 3 courses and are used to determine the final grade of your degree e.g. a first, second class honours degree. If you get over 85% you get a distinction. This applies to some level one courses as well.
That is true, the level one courses don't count towards your final mark (in the same way as first years in a lot of uni courses don't). Though of course you still need to pass them.
SunburnedCactus
Ah, mystery solved. That's a big arse then, I got 84 on the first course I finished. Also I do wonder why they bother distinguishing between "Fail" and "Bad fail".

if you get a 'bare fail' in an end of course exam then you can resit that exam at a future date and your coursework mark will stilll be counted. If you get a bad fail then you would have to resit the whole module and do all the TMAs again.
Reply 11
I just got the results for my first assignment, I scored 87! Not bad at all :cool:
Reply 12
Original post by Azariah
I just got the results for my first assignment, I scored 87! Not bad at all :cool:

Is it really necessary to drag this post up from 2009?

How do people even come across these old threads anyway? :p:

Original post by I wish there was a
What are these scores in comparison to 'normal' university marking schemes?

Is 85+ equivalent to a First? 70+ a 2:1, etc.?

And congratulations above for getting 87! I got 86 for my first TMA, and 84 in another module.

Pretty much, yes.
Reply 13
Original post by Kate.

Pretty much, yes.

Some people - depending on settings - have a "view related threads" widget. I've always said this has contributed to old thread dragging but nobody agrees with me.
Reply 14
Original post by Kate.

There's this thing called Google
Reply 15
These are my results from the ou, I’m in my first year Does that mean I’ll fail? 55 35 45 37 And I have not done tma05 yet What do I need to pass for tma05? Thanks
Original post by Amxzz
These are my results from the ou, I’m in my first year Does that mean I’ll fail? 55 35 45 37 And I have not done tma05 yet What do I need to pass for tma05? Thanks

How are the assignments weighted?
Is there also an EMA or exam?
Reply 17
Original post by Persipan
How are the assignments weighted?
Is there also an EMA or exam?

Yes I have an ema at the end
Original post by Amxzz
Yes I have an ema at the end

You (typically) need a 40% on your OCAS (your weighted average of your TMAs and any iCMAs which count toward your OCAS), and 40% on your EMA.

We can't guess at what you'll need on your final TMA, because we don't know what the weights of your various TMAs are toward your OCAS. Go to the Student Home Page, click on Assessment for your module, and click the link for "Predict your module result using the Assessment Calculator."
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by JollyCynic
You (typically) need a 40% on your OCAS (your weighted average of your TMAs and any iCMAs which count toward your OCAS), and 40% on your EMA.

We can't guess at what you'll need on your final TMA, because we don't know what the weights of your various TMAs are toward your OCAS. Go to the Student Home Page, click on Assessment for your module, and click the link for "Predict your module result using the Assessment Calculator."

Idk my ocas tho but I worked out the average of my tma scores and it’s 43 if that makes any sense to anyone or is that just wrong?

Quick Reply

Latest