The Student Room Group

GCSE Students - What subjects will you take for A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Take double Maths!

/Year 12 thread invasion.
Im doing chemistry, biology, geography and then another at as that i haven't decided.
Does anyone recommend any? The subjects i've chose so far seem hard and im not a genious, so don't want to pick something too hard! :confused:
Original post by lsaul95
thanks haha! I hope I don't need it! ;D Which three if you don't mind me asking, and how are you finding them? :smile:

i do Human Biology, Chemistry and Psychology all on AQA. Its a big step up from gcse so be prepaired :smile: i had a few personal issues during my exams in january so my grades slipped a bit :/ got CDD and retaking the 2 D's in the summer to get them up to atleast B.
Original post by Corinne Louise
Im doing chemistry, biology, geography and then another at as that i haven't decided.
Does anyone recommend any? The subjects i've chose so far seem hard and im not a genious, so don't want to pick something too hard! :confused:

Psychology sounds like a safe bet if ur in to science style questions with a bit of essay writing
Reply 904
Original post by cuckoo99
i do Human Biology, Chemistry and Psychology all on AQA. Its a big step up from gcse so be prepaired :smile: i had a few personal issues during my exams in january so my grades slipped a bit :/ got CDD and retaking the 2 D's in the summer to get them up to atleast B.

I've done some prep for bio and chem, haven't really looked into Psychology that much. Only thing I'm concerned about for that is reading out in front of the class :') I hope I don't have to do anything like that, I freeze when someone asks me to read out loud haha. I've gotten up to Unit 1, 2.3 on Bio, and Unit 1, 2.6 on Chem. Finding it manageable, but there is definitely a LOT to take in :frown:
A lot of my friends didn't do as well as they expected first time, you'll get those grades up, you know what to expect next time and hopefully wont have any personal issues to worry about :smile: Good luck!
i want to do 5 As and perhaps 4 or 3 A2's ... im think physics , chemistry , maths , english and biology/spanish (not sure yet ... im in year 10 )
Psychology sounds like a safe bet if ur in to science style questions with a bit of essay writing

hmm, do you know if its very difficult? im just scared i start the courses and cant do any of them!
Original post by lsaul95
I've done some prep for bio and chem, haven't really looked into Psychology that much. Only thing I'm concerned about for that is reading out in front of the class :') I hope I don't have to do anything like that, I freeze when someone asks me to read out loud haha. I've gotten up to Unit 1, 2.3 on Bio, and Unit 1, 2.6 on Chem. Finding it manageable, but there is definitely a LOT to take in :frown:
A lot of my friends didn't do as well as they expected first time, you'll get those grades up, you know what to expect next time and hopefully wont have any personal issues to worry about :smile: Good luck!

Nice to see you are reading ahead, that is a very smart idea though i dont think you should divert to much attention to a levels until you have finnished ur gcse's. do you know what exam board your A levels will be on? Oh and presentations dont come up very often but if you plan on going to university you will need to be able to pluck up the courage to present :smile: Thanks i hope i will :smile: i dropped a subject(English lit) because i was finding it too hard and a waste of time so should be able to use that time effectively for my retakes :smile: Message me if you need anyhelp wiith chemistory or biology :smile:
Original post by Corinne Louise
hmm, do you know if its very difficult? im just scared i start the courses and cant do any of them!

alot of note taking :smile: if you are geting A's and B's at gcse science you should be ok. i would suggest reading over some of the content during ur summer holiday :smile:
Reply 909
Nice to see you are reading ahead, that is a very smart idea though i dont think you should divert to much attention to a levels until you have finnished ur gcse's. do you know what exam board your A levels will be on? Oh and presentations dont come up very often but if you plan on going to university you will need to be able to pluck up the courage to present :smile: Thanks i hope i will :smile: i dropped a subject(English lit) because i was finding it too hard and a waste of time so should be able to use that time effectively for my retakes :smile: Message me if you need anyhelp wiith chemistory or biology :smile:

Yeah I'm 17, finished them last year and decided to do an Art course this year (silly move on my part) :| Finished that and decided to do A levels this year! I have my results A*A*A*A*A*AABBC :smile:
Biology is AQA, Chemistry is AQA, Physics is OCR and Psychology is AQA as well I think :smile:
That's fine, presentations I'm fine with because I can prepare, it's just random intervals of 'You read this bit out loud', comes as a shock and I freeze haha! I'm hoping they're a little more grown up about that in College. It seems like a primary school thing to get kids to learn to read.

Ahh nice one, well good luck with your exams and I'll message you if I have any other questions. I shall also add you as a friend so I don't forget. +rep :smile:
Original post by lsaul95
Yeah I'm 17, finished them last year and decided to do an Art course this year (silly move on my part) :| Finished that and decided to do A levels this year! I have my results A*A*A*A*A*AABBC :smile:
Biology is AQA, Chemistry is AQA, Physics is OCR and Psychology is AQA as well I think :smile:
That's fine, presentations I'm fine with because I can prepare, it's just random intervals of 'You read this bit out loud', comes as a shock and I freeze haha! I'm hoping they're a little more grown up about that in College. It seems like a primary school thing to get kids to learn to read.

Ahh nice one, well good luck with your exams and I'll message you if I have any other questions. I shall also add you as a friend so I don't forget. +rep :smile:

ah cool well i can defo help you on psychology and chemistry though i do Human Biology not Biology but i think the content is more or less the same though i dont learn about plants
I'm studying the Universe.
I might do maths, further maths, economics and Spanish. Not sure though.

Edit: Why the hell was this negged??
Edit 2: Seriously, why is this being negged? Because you don't like the subjects I want to do? Bit of a stupid reason to neg tbh.
(edited 12 years ago)
Biology AS/A2, Chemistry AS/A2, Maths AS/A2, Physics AS.
Might change maths to psychology after the probation period.
Yep, you guessed it, I'm aiming to study Medicine at university.
Biology, Chemistry, German and either English Lang or Lit :smile:
Changed mine to Maths, Chemistry, Geography and French. :smile:
Reply 916
Most likely: Maths Stats, Biology, Chemistry, Economics or Geography.
Original post by gravitationalpull
So, what is everyone in Year 11 planning to take next year?

I will talk either of the following two :

Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Economics
Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry

If I think I can handle it then I might do 5 AS levels and cut down to 4 in A2. Only time will tell.

im thinking of doing travel and tourism and sociology
Reply 918
I am (at the moment) planning to do Geology, English Literature, Psychology & Geography. I am not completely confirmed with these though as I was thinking of Maths - though it literally would kill me.
Maths, Further Maths, Additional Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, ICT, German, Photography (AS only- it is an enrichment).

Quick Reply

Latest