The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Scroll to see replies

Definitely looking at Harry French or William Morris, so much more reasonably priced. Any current students there/been there before?
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by Moleymann
Definitely looking at Harry French or William Morris, so much more reasonably priced. Any current students there/been there before?

YES! (Harry French) ask away :smile:

I've stayed in William Morris Ensuite and standard.
Original post by Village Whisper
Does anyone have any information about Village Court? It doesn't have any videos on the website, and I don't quite get the differences between the 3 areas. In what way are they annexed? Are the rooms the same as the halls to which they're annexed? It just seems really confusing :s-smilie:

EDIT: Actually, I just looked at the 2012/13 fees and it says "Falkner Eggington On Tour (Village Court)", so does that mean the whole lot is being taken over this year? Sorry for all the questions :tongue:

My friend is in Village Court - it's mainly used for insurance students and they'll be affiliated with a hall in the village.

Next year falk egg students will have priority as Falk egg is being renovated. Village Court is really nice :smile: It's better than my accommodation in terms of appliances! You get two ovens and a living area.

I'm in William Morris standard :smile: I'm in the older blocks so the communal areas aren't great, but I've heard they'll be renovating them soon to be bringing them up to the standard of the other blocks. William Morris has a good location being literally a two minute walk from the union and about ten minutes from town. The only complaint I have is the lack of hall spirit but we've voted in the new committee and I think it'll be back by next year :smile:
Original post by Colour Me Pretty
My friend is in Village Court - it's mainly used for insurance students and they'll be affiliated with a hall in the village.

Next year falk egg students will have priority as Falk egg is being renovated. Village Court is really nice :smile: It's better than my accommodation in terms of appliances! You get two ovens and a living area.

Thanks :smile: Do you know if there's a difference between bedroom sizes, or are they all pretty much the same? There's literally no photo/videos/information on the website other than the small description :frown:
Original post by Village Whisper
Thanks :smile: Do you know if there's a difference between bedroom sizes, or are they all pretty much the same? There's literally no photo/videos/information on the website other than the small description :frown:

I think they're pretty much the same :smile:
They all have single beds, a desk and wash basin etc.
Reply 1067
i was looking to stay at hazelrig-rutland or Robert bakewwell since my friend is staying there and i am going for engineering. However they are on a 42 week let and i thought about it and realized that i wont need to be there until 14 of july and i can get teh same room in a different hall.

I am going for En-suite minimum and i was considering ither Telford or William-morris (however its off campus so im not really looking at it) and finally butler court.

Please help me what to choose, keeping in mind that im doing engineering so i heard that il always have to be in the engineering department.
Dropped out of university this year, whole bunch of reasons, but also had a nightmare of a time with accommodation so I really want to land on my feet this time round!

I'm in William Morris standard :smile: I'm in the older blocks so the communal areas aren't great, but I've heard they'll be renovating them soon to be bringing them up to the standard of the other blocks. William Morris has a good location being literally a two minute walk from the union and about ten minutes from town. The only complaint I have is the lack of hall spirit but we've voted in the new committee and I think it'll be back by next year :smile:

Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
I've stayed in William Morris Ensuite and standard.

Original post by dudleyian
YES! (Harry French) ask away :smile:

Awesome! I really can't justify spending out on an en-suite, so looking at a standard room in Harry French or William Morris. Being off campus however, are there any issues security wise? I'm thinking about bicycles and such.

Being close to the union, does that mean every night everybody's out and about? On one hand I do love to go out, but on the other hand I want to be able to get some work done and have an early night if I wanted to.

Lastly, what are the showers like in these halls? Is it a good ratio of showers to people? My last halls had 3 showers & 2 toilets between 18 of us, and were ok until someone decided to turn some taps on.

Also:

Original post by ru7lan

Please help me what to choose, keeping in mind that im doing engineering so i heard that il always have to be in the engineering department.

As a fellow soon-to-be-again engineering student, surely distance to the engineering department is irrelevant when it's a campus university? Walk or cycle or something.

Awesome! I really can't justify spending out on an en-suite, so looking at a standard room in Harry French or William Morris. Being off campus however, are there any issues security wise? I'm thinking about bicycles and such.

Being close to the union, does that mean every night everybody's out and about? On one hand I do love to go out, but on the other hand I want to be able to get some work done and have an early night if I wanted to.

Lastly, what are the showers like in these halls? Is it a good ratio of showers to people? My last halls had 3 showers & 2 toilets between 18 of us, and were ok until someone decided to turn some taps on.

Also:

As a fellow soon-to-be-again engineering student, surely distance to the engineering department is irrelevant when it's a campus university? Walk or cycle or something.

There's no issues that I've had security wise. There's always a security van patrolling the university (I've seen it on late night trips to the library).

Being close to the union is a MAJOR plus on nights out. It's not particularly rowdy as William Morris is a hall on its own. I've pre drank in the village and that's MUCH rowdier due to the fact you have so many halls in close proximity. Of course, if people in your flat are going out then there will be noise, but people don't usually start pre drinks till around half nine and most will have left after eleven. I've found that during exam season etc, not a lot of people go out so you'll be fine :smile:

I'd like to also agree with you on your last point. Don't choose a hall based on how close it is to your department, choose it based on what suits your needs. Fair enough Harry French might not be ideal if your doing engineering but if it meets your requirements in terms of accommodation it's silly not to pick it based on one weakness.

Original post by ru7lan

From what I hear, Telford is a popular choice for second years. It's not a bad thing but I'd personally be more inclined to choose a hall with a little more hall spirit.
Harry French and William Morris both have good locations imo, probably the latter more so because you're two seconds from campus and about five-ten minutes from town. I know someone in Butler Court and the obvious weakness is having to share your room, if you're comfortable with that then go for it, but there are better halls.

Like I said, don't pick a hall based on how close it is to your department. An extra ten minute walk is much preferable to not being entirely happy where you live.
(edited 12 years ago)
Dropped out of university this year, whole bunch of reasons, but also had a nightmare of a time with accommodation so I really want to land on my feet this time round!

Also:

I didnt like being on the bottom floor of the non-ensuite. It was not very private and you pretty much had to keep your windows closed if you left your room. Ensuites different as its slightly further in and feel more enclosed.

The showers are good, I'd say the non-ensuite ones are better. They are slightly more powerful but the ensuite ones go up to really high temperatures.

Not really, my flat doesnt go union a great deal, though others seem to go out most of the time so it depends who you are with.

2 toilets/1 shower between 6 or 7 I think it is.

Quite a few of my lectures are in the engineering area, I dont see the need to bike. It takes 15-20 mins to walk, and its quite a nice walk too.
Being off campus however, are there any issues security wise? I'm thinking about bicycles and such.

Harry French has a secure bike shed which never has any problems. £20 refundable deposit for the key.

No different to any other hall and as HF is secluded the noise levels are fine. The only time I've been woken by people coming in is Saturday early hours (when I don't care anyway) or midweek after exams finish (again fine). Can't recall getting irritated by noise all last year.

HF is either shower between 6 or two showers between 8. Rarely had anyone in the shower when I've wanted to go in. It helps to have a mix of courses so everyone is up at different times! Showers are pretty good actually; I hate a pathetic jet of water and the ones I've had have been quite powerful.

Yeah, fitness levels get so good walking all day every day; yes the furthest buildings are a 20-minute power walk or a 30-40 minute gentle walk from HF but I think the benefits of being so close to the union, many of the lecture theatres e.g. EHB & James France, plus the closest hall to town (~10mins from Sainsbury's) outweigh the longer walks to the other side of campus.

Hope that helps!
Reply 1072
Can someone advise me what building I should choose. I am between hazel-rig, Butler, Telford and Robert bakewell.
All ensuite. Also I want to clarify that I am an Chen eng student if that makes any difference :tongue: and also plz tell me why you recommend one place to another.

Thanks alot
Original post by ru7lan
Can someone advise me what building I should choose. I am between hazel-rig, Butler, Telford and Robert bakewell.
All ensuite. Also I want to clarify that I am an Chen eng student if that makes any difference :tongue: and also plz tell me why you recommend one place to another.

Thanks alot

Massive difference between telford and the other two.

If you want cheap accommodation go for Telford, as for the other two, there isn't really much difference between them. Have you considered William Morris? You get really good value rooms, and it isn't as expensive as Rigg-Rutt or Bobby Bakewell.
Original post by ru7lan

Thanks alot

Wow 4 really different halls there. Depends on your preference for location and shared rooms or not, and budget obviously is the key thing! If you give us a few pointers about that we can help you a bit better.
Reply 1075
Generally, what are the options available for insurance students in August/September time? I know there is no guarantee, but is it really competitive?
Reply 1076
Massive difference between telford and the other two.

If you want cheap accommodation go for Telford, as for the other two, there isn't really much difference between them. Have you considered William Morris? You get really good value rooms, and it isn't as expensive as Rigg-Rutt or Bobby Bakewell.

I have considered William Morris but when I saw that it was off campus that blind of put me off really...i have a friend that lives in rig-rut and he told me its good but it's 42 weeks let and for that money I can get something better such as ensuite in Butler but once again it's on the other side of the campus.

Wow 4 really different halls there. Depends on your preference for location and shared rooms or not, and budget obviously is the key thing! If you give us a few pointers about that we can help you a bit better.

Well firstly I want something in the mindle kind off but that's not my main priority. My main priority is ensuite. Secondly I'd like something clean and decent :tongue: I'm just being extremely picky since I'm in the army now and coming to uni next year, and after sharing everything here I kind of want some quality in my life :tongue: And as for budget...I want a self catered room and I was thinking of going into rig-rut or bakewell so anything below them prices is alright-ish
Original post by ru7lan
I have considered William Morris but when I saw that it was off campus that blind of put me off really...i have a friend that lives in rig-rut and he told me its good but it's 42 weeks let and for that money I can get something better such as ensuite in Butler but once again it's on the other side of the campus.

Well firstly I want something in the mindle kind off but that's not my main priority. My main priority is ensuite. Secondly I'd like something clean and decent :tongue: I'm just being extremely picky since I'm in the army now and coming to uni next year, and after sharing everything here I kind of want some quality in my life :tongue: And as for budget...I want a self catered room and I was thinking of going into rig-rut or bakewell so anything below them prices is alright-ish

I know you were replying to Colour in Pretty but don't discount off-campus halls; they are all amazing (even the Holt I suppose :tongue:). Given your budget though if you have the money go for Bakewell for the slightly bigger rooms with really nice en-suite and the quality feel of a new hall.
Reply 1078
So the en-suite rooms in bakewell are bigger than the ensuite rooms in the halls that have a 39 week let?
Reply 1079
I know you were replying to Colour in Pretty but don't discount off-campus halls; they are all amazing (even the Holt I suppose :tongue:). Given your budget though if you have the money go for Bakewell for the slightly bigger rooms with really nice en-suite and the quality feel of a new hall.

So the en-suite rooms in bakewell are bigger than the ensuite rooms in the halls that have a 39 week let?

Latest

Trending

Trending