The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tateco
Don't know what's more funny; that, or the fact half of the labour party were having their photos taken eating pasties outside Greggs to show they were down with the commoners, not like those bloody tory toffs!

Politics, huh? Lol
Reply 9481
Original post by -Illmatic-
Politics, huh? Lol

Why not :wink: Suppose we could talk about the effects the rise in VAT on pasties might ha--------ZzZzzzZzZzZZZzzzZZzzz :yawn:
For anyone who is interested there is a programme called Freakonomics (based on the books ) on sky Atlantic at 9. Looks pretty interesting !
Reply 9483
Durham or UCL w/Year Abroad.
CANNOT DECIDE??
Reply 9484
Original post by wit-tank
Durham or UCL w/Year Abroad.
CANNOT DECIDE??

You can't be serious :O UCL with that year in America! (and you get to be with me :tongue:)
Reply 9485
Original post by Tateco
Cheers :smile: Yeah I think so! How's your decision making going?

Nice :smile: When universities are that similar in prestige other factors become a lot more important.

You're going to UCL??
I'm now totally undecided on UCL or Durham!
Reply 9486
Original post by Tateco
You can't be serious :O UCL with that year in America! (and you get to be with me :tongue:)

Haha didn't even see you're post above!
Yeah but I am worried I won't get that tutor pupil connection??

And is UCL that much better?
Reply 9487
Haha didn't even see you're post above!
Yeah but I am worried I won't get that tutor pupil connection??

And is UCL that much better?

I got an offer from them te other day so hopefully!

I don't really think it will be that different at Durham, why are you under the impression there will be more contact time there?

I really think it is better, Durham's course doesn't seem anywhere near as good as UCL's. Durham is also a BA which shows how the level of Maths will be significantly different, perhaps making further study less accessible.
Reply 9488
Original post by Tateco

I don't really think it will be that different at Durham, why are you under the impression there will be more contact time there?

I really think it is better, Durham's course doesn't seem anywhere near as good as UCL's. Durham is also a BA which shows how the level of Maths will be significantly different, perhaps making further study less accessible.

OOh well done!!
Not Gap Yearing then?

I prefer the more arty side of Economics though...
Why does it not seem as good? (Is it awful that I've barely actually researched the course?)
Reply 9489
OOh well done!!
Not Gap Yearing then?

Why does it not seem as good? (Is it awful that I've barely actually researched the course?)

Still considering asking to defer and having a gap year, got a couple of interviews coming up.

Well it might be better suited to you then. The optional modules don't look very good, one of the first year ones is business accounting...
Original post by Tateco
Still considering asking to defer and having a gap year, got a couple of interviews coming up.

Well it might be better suited to you then. The optional modules don't look very good, one of the first year ones is business accounting...

Sorry to barge in but I just wanted to add to this - I went to the open day last week and this was the one thing that slightly worried me about the course. You have do this vague module in social/history of economics which doesn't really allow you to focus on a specific area as much as other courses. Plus as Tateco says there does seem to be a really peculiar link with the business department:confused: That aside it was a great uni and i'm still struggling to make my decision !
Reply 9491
OOh well done!!
Not Gap Yearing then?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1955699

This is a good thread to look at. And that doesn't even take into the fact it's UCL not Bristol and the programme you will be doing includes that ridiculous year abroad!

The 'pasty' puns in the 'more on this story' section are rather amusing :holmes:

Congrats on your offers! I've only just found out since I've not been on here for a while :tongue:
Original post by Tateco

That's not true at all. It's a BA Economics in the same way Cambridge Economics is a BA. For traditional reasons all Durham degrees are BA's :smile:
Original post by Scorcher
That's not true at all. It's a BA Economics in the same way Cambridge Economics is a BA. For traditional reasons all Durham degrees are BA's :smile:

Law is LLB..along with Physics and the other sciences :unsure:
Reply 9495
Original post by perrytheplatypus
The 'pasty' puns in the 'more on this story' section are rather amusing :holmes:

Congrats on your offers! I've only just found out since I've not been on here for a while :tongue:

Thanks! Looks like we'll both be in London :smile:
Reply 9496
Original post by Scorcher

I don't think Durham's economics degree is a BA for traditional reasons - all other sciences are BSCs. It might have something to do with the fact that it's offered by the business school, as I noticed that Exeter's is also a BA, and also happens to be offered by their Business School, but I couldn't give a reason why.
I'm stuck between Bristol and Durham, like on that other thread. I'm so confused, but I think I'm edging towards Bristol due to Durham's course not being as quantitative. Does anyone have any opinions on the difference of job prospects between the two? :smile:
Reply 9498
Original post by Abbyyyyyyy
I'm stuck between Bristol and Durham, like on that other thread. I'm so confused, but I think I'm edging towards Bristol due to Durham's course not being as quantitative. Does anyone have any opinions on the difference of job prospects between the two? :smile:

Negligible difference between prospects, shouldn't be a deciding factor.
Original post by Abbyyyyyyy

Bristol. I mean, the city is buzzing, amazing rep (not that Durham is lacking in rep, mind!), really close-knit department, awesome course. I dont think you'd lose with either, though. Are you from a big city? That might be a deciding factor :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending