The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by u4m1r
What happend about the Holland and Barret order you placed? I just got an email from them and said they had to cancel my order due to an availability problem. Does this mean they won't take the money from my account?

I never even ordered bro, need to get some protein as atm i'm having purely carbs for breakfast ;(....can't rly handle much food in the morning.
If I eat well, sleep well etc and find each workout as difficult as the last. I will grow right (Strength and size)?

I just find linear progression on 5 lifts at 3x5 inherently boring, and considering I have no real goals it seems pointless because I'll end up getting bored at some point so the long term gains will be less on it anyway.
Reply 62
Original post by JasonTerryIsMyHero
If I eat well, sleep well etc and find each workout as difficult as the last. I will grow right (Strength and size)?

I just find linear progression on 5 lifts at 3x5 inherently boring, and considering I have no real goals it seems pointless because I'll end up getting bored at some point so the long term gains will be less on it anyway.

You could make an aim to compete?

So long as your workouts are getting heavier..
Original post by Becca
You could make an aim to compete?

Maybe, the problem is I don't particularly enjoy lifting heavy on the main 3 lifts. I know it's a pussy excuse but going close to failure on squat scares me :colondollar: I much prefer things like seated rows or most of the DB variants.

Original post by The Troll Toll
So long as your workouts are getting heavier..

Hmmm. Not added weight to my bench or DL in like 2 months, OHP in a month. However the assistance stuff is going up and my form is getting better..
Reply 65
Maybe, the problem is I don't particularly enjoy lifting heavy on the main 3 lifts. I know it's a pussy excuse but going close to failure on squat scares me :colondollar: I much prefer things like seated rows or most of the DB variants.

Hmmm. Not added weight to my bench or DL in like 2 months, OHP in a month. However the assistance stuff is going up and my form is getting better..

this is happening to me, **** the assistance just pound the mainlifts!
Original post by Gallium
this is happening to me, **** the assistance just pound the mainlifts!

Is there anything inherently bad about assistance work?

My BB row went up like 10kg since I started but I've added nearly 80kg to my seated row, my back mid back is also one of my best body parts now.
Reply 67

My BB row went up like 10kg since I started but I've added nearly 80kg to my seated row, my back mid back is also one of my best body parts now.

assistance type work for back is fine, you can never get enough back work IMO. but if your db presses and **** are going up but you bench isn't something is wrong.
Reply 68
Anyone have any experience with EC stack for cutting?
Getting strong on assistance lifts is fine.

Honestly, why does everyone NEED to get a stronger 3? Unless you powerlift/want to powerlift there's no 100% requirement to raise them.

For some period you may have constant 3 lifts but assistance lifts jumping high. If you care about a mixture of strength and size then your strength is rising and so is your size. Strength =/= 3 lifts. Powerlifting = 3 lifts.

Original post by u4m1r
Anyone have any experience with EC stack for cutting?

I'm going to literally slap you if you've decided to cut again.

No but at your stage if it's going up and your main lifts aren't something is probably wrong.
Plus, I know it's cliched but the stuff that "scares" you because it's hard, is what will make you get bigger quicker.

if you find it easy then it's not gonna be as effective. **** seated cable rows seriously
Don't you want to compete in something eventually?

Original post by Michael XYZ

Honestly, why does everyone NEED to get a stronger 3? Unless you powerlift/want to powerlift there's no 100% requirement to raise them.

For some period you may have constant 3 lifts but assistance lifts jumping high. If you care about a mixture of strength and size then your strength is rising and so is your size. Strength =/= 3 lifts. Powerlifting = 3 lifts.

I'm going to literally slap you if you've decided to cut again.
Original post by Michael XYZ

Yeah but let's be honest if his squat stays at like 85 kg he won't be big or strong or good at powerlifting no matter how good he gets at leg pressing. I don't have anything against this little backlash against Rippetoe's or whatever but if an 85 kg squat and 50 kg bench isn't going up then either the goal is to be a marathon runner or something is wrong.
stationary traffic in both directions between J35, A473 (Pencoed) and J34, A4119 (Miskin), because of an overturned car, an overturned caravan and air-ambulance in the road.

Bored.
Original post by redbuthotter
Don't you want to compete in something eventually?

Yes.

I'm not talking about myself.
If you have "no real goals" why are you even in the gym?? You must have a goal of some sort.
TTT don't get me wrong, I know my lifts are pathetic. But honestly I saw more leg growth when I couldn't squat and instead had to leg press, then I came back and squatted better than I previously had. That's not really my point though. It's that long term will I hit a weird plateau strength/size wise if my big 3 stall/creep up. I know in running you can peak certain parts of your fitness, but eventually you'll stall if you don't address certain parts.

Original post by Arturo Bandini
If you have "no real goals" why are you even in the gym?? You must have a goal of some sort.

To me a real goal is competitively power lifting or trying to put on a stone to get on the uni first team for rugby etc. Not getting a bit stronger so you're better at what's essentially uncompetitive football and putting on a bit of muscle to look a bit better.

Original post by Arturo Bandini
Plus, I know it's cliched but the stuff that "scares" you because it's hard, is what will make you get bigger quicker.

if you find it easy then it's not gonna be as effective. **** seated cable rows seriously

I don't mind hard work. But being stuck under a barbell is very different to just being able to let go of the handles of a seated row.

Tbh I know eventually I'll have to just man up, but there's some big guys at the gym who don't squat or DL and it's so appealing haha.
If you're scared about squatting, two things will probably be key - technique and experience. Experience is pretty obvious - the more you squat, the more accurate your understanding of what you're able to handle. Technique is another big one because if you haven't got it right, you'll be less consistent and you'll wobble around more. If you have good technique, even when you're under a bar that's near the limit of what you can do, you should be able to drive it up and remain steady. If you don't, then when you're doing high effort work you'll be prone to little wobbles that throw you off, and if you feel that way that will obviously knock your confidence.

My advice would probably be to really drop your squat weight down for now (and keep doing your heavier exercise with the assistance lifts you've been doing) so you can work on technique. Watch some videos of good squats and try to drill the cues into your mind while you're at a weight low enough that you can focus on the technique rather than on whether you can complete the lift. Maybe in the end you'll still decide you don't want to squat, but it's that useful a lift that I wouldn't drop it because you lack confidence.
James Henderson is ****ing awesome: