The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gtfo
I just had an email from QMUL asking for an up to date academic reference, but I withdrew my application weeks ago.

I applied having already got my results, so I've no idea what function an up to date academic reference would serve when I've not seen my tutor for 12 months anyway.

Not entirely sure whether to put it down to administrative incompetence or the fact that they are swamped. It made me smile that I'm still being considered though.

I find it quite humorous that QM have taken this long to do something with your application, and in that time you've got an unconditional offer from King's :eek:

I am however, still waiting on QM. No matter how great York is, QM sits just ahead in my eyes. Fingers crossed I get an offer.
Reply 3481
Original post by hiyamynameissoph
I think taking a gap year is risky depending on your circumstances - what do you plan to do on a gap year? Kent is quite a large drop from Warwick, Kings, UCL and Warwick (they're my insurance, Bristol is my firm and I think I'd take a gap year if I missed my conditional) so you have to decide what you're really want - if you are going to be spending excessive amounts of money on a degree you might as well get your moneys worth.

If you want to work, travel and get some work experience to beef up your personal statement, I think that's quite a good idea. The only worrying thing is taking your LNAT again, it's not really something you can revise so do you think you'll be able to improve on your score?

What did you get at AS? x

Not to sound like a prick, but Im going to use you as a subject for a mini rant, if you dont mind. :smile:
Why do TSR people always use these quasi-pep talk/apology posts merely as an oppurtunity to indirectly gloat about their individual achievements( in your case your breathtaking offer from Bristol)...? Now whilst I understand you probably didnt intend that at all Soph, think about it for a moment, button is feeling dejected and you've more or less rubbed dirt in the wound :/
If trying to give helpful advice, which here you havent really because what's explicitly implicit in your post is that you believe Kent uni is not a good one - which is quite untrue, you should refrain from critical opinions...especially when you intend to 'console' a fellow student

buttons06
:smile:

Now then,
Sorry to hear about the rejections fella - I got 4 too so I know how you feel. There is no shame whatsoever in going to Kent, keep in mind that even if one of your other choices were open to you, judging by what I can see you would have been ambitious and worked towards a first, no? All that is imperative now is that you do the same at Kent - if indeed that's where you decide to go for nobody can make the decision for you. A 1st reflects academic prowess and firms will see that. A gap year is quite drastic considering how late in the year it is and you wouldnt have planned what to do (as many have said already). Think about it again, then visit Kent and talk to the students and the professors - then decide.
Reply 3482
Original post by nulli tertius
I think that I would go round again.

However, you need to think more deeply about this. If you had an Oxford interview, you were not rejected primarily because of your LNAT score. Clearly Warwick didn't reject you due to your LNAT score. Moreover, LNAT isn't some sort of irrelevant trial inserted into the applications process to spice it up a bit for the tutors. It is supposed to be a test of aptitude. It isn't perfect and Cambridge withdrew from it. Nevertheless the test decided you were not apt for law.

So, what do we have? You probably didn't do very well at interview for Oxford. Assuming that your A levels weren't art, needlework and PE, Warwick either didn't like your reference or your personal statement or both. The LNAT didn't like you. That is potentially a lot of negatives with a single application.

Before you apply again, you should think very carefully whether you are cut out for an academic law degree.

Woah, woah, woah - let's consider what you just said: 'It isn't perfect and Cambridge withdrew from it'
Like you so rightly pointed out, the test is subjective and button may have attained his score for any number of reasons..
There are unis that do not use the LNAT and they seem to produce capable lawyers (lse, Warwick, leeds, Glasgow- to name a varied few - I could go on). My point is just because button got 18 (which was the national avg btw) does not mean he is not cut out for law...to say such a thing is quite drastic dont you think? I certainly think so.
I imagine button is just devastated given the choices he/she originally applied to.
Reply 3483
Original post by Chazzybish
I think you are sending an overly and unnecessary negative attitude towards buttons06. Yes, s/he had a (just) below average LNAT score, but that does not mean s/he is not 'cut out' for an academic law degree. Indeed, you very rightly mentioned that there are several institutions which simply ignore the LNAT because it has a tendency to be rather inaccurate at times. The test didn't decide that s/he was 'not apt for law'. The test said that of those who applied, s/he performed less well than most. But remember that the average LNAT candidate's academic profile is above that of the average law student's academic profile.

The Oxford interview merely tests one's ability to study law at Oxford and by no means suggests that someone who is unsuccessful following an interview is not 'cut out' for the subject. As the Faculty of Law only offers interviews to 50% of applicants anyway, it is hard to believe that those who are unsuccessful are for some reason not capable of reading law. They are: just they are not suited to Oxford.

I know you are suggesting that is the culmination of each of these that matters, but actually I'd argue that each one of these in itself is not indicative of one's ability to read law. Do not assume that the only places you can read law are those that this person applied to - that is what your last sentence seems to imply. I know that you are fully aware of the subjectivity of the LNAT. However, I think that instead of making such black and white comments which could influence someone's future, you should instead try to convey a bit more of that subjectivity.

However, I do agree that there must obviously be something within the personal statement or reference that either was looked on unfavourably to admissions tutors, or that these were looked on less favourably than other candidates'. If you do decide to take a gap year buttons06, then you would be advised to consider that, and apply for feedback from the universities if possible so that you would be able to enter into the cycle with a stronger application.

Finally, we have also not even considered the possibility of poor GCSE scores, poor AS results or what have you. All of these are taken into account. As such, we cannot make any fully informed judgment without these details.

Edit: I realised I myself have come across rather 'black and white' as well. I know that you were only questioning. I just think that the overall impression of your post is quite negative and that buttons06 needn't be quite as concerned as the tone of your post might or might not suggest.

I seem to have passionately re-hashed your sentiments without reading them. Sorry about that!:tongue:
Reply 3484
Original post by nulli tertius
My posting had a negative tone and there are two reasons for that.

The first is that buttons06 is sitting on an offer from Kent. There is no point in him/her reapplying unless he/she can achieve a significantly better offer than that. Kent is a good law school whose offers are affected by the London doughnut; that like all the universities surrounding London, their offers have to be pitched lower than that of the main London schools to attract students.

Secondly, I find on TSR that there is a lack of self-awareness of aptitude for law. Law is a subject studied ab initio. The fact that someone has stellar grades for history or English or whatever does not necessarily mean they will be any good at law.

One in six students at UCL and more than one in eight at King's walk out with a 2:2 or worse. At Nottingham that rises to almost two in five. These students cannot all be dismissed as lazy. They have got the entry grades, passed the LNAT with a good score and impressed with the rest of their application. They were used to performing at a very high standard at school. Yet largely their dreams of a legal career are ended.

I think that the problem is illustrated in particular by attitudes to the LNAT and similar aptitude tests. I think most school pupils grasp that a low GCSE score in a subject, is a comment on whether they should do that subject at A level. There doesn't seem to be an understanding that a weaker LNAT score is a comment, not a perfect comment I should stress, on someone's possession of the skill set to study law academically (rather than be a practising lawyer).

What I was doing, was picking out all the negative aspects of buttons06's application, not sugaring the pill in any way, and hopefully getting him/her to think seriously about whether a law degree was for them.

I agree, but then again, TSR is not really representative of even 1/4 of law applicants IMO. The universities understand that just because a student has shown he/she understands the plot of Othello does not mean they will make perfect law students; however, this does not mean that the opportunity musn't be given to prove themselves.
Original post by narusku
Woah, woah, woah - let's consider what you just said: 'It isn't perfect and Cambridge withdrew from it'
Like you so rightly pointed out, the test is subjective and button may have attained his score for any number of reasons..
There are unis that do not use the LNAT and they seem to produce capable lawyers (lse, Warwick, leeds, Glasgow- to name a varied few - I could go on). My point is just because button got 18 (which was the national avg btw) does not mean he is not cut out for law...to say such a thing is quite drastic dont you think? I certainly think so.
I imagine button is just devastated given the choices he/she originally applied to.

Have you become the resident warden on here?. I don't see what qualms you have with 'It isn't perfect and Cambridge withdrew from it'? Whilst the LNAT is flawed in many ways, it is a good general indicator for one's aptitude towards Law. Noone dismisses the UKCAT or BMAT, just because a few universities don't ask for it. The LNAT is a useful signalling tool for universities. Nullis isn't saying that she isn't cut for a Law, his just saying she needs to have a long hard think about whether Law is right for her. Too many people go blindfolded into a Law degree, and end up either switching courses in matter of weeks because they can't hack the heat or failing miserably.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by narusku

Edinburgh doesn't use lnat, Glasgow does.:wink:
I think taking a gap year is risky depending on your circumstances - what do you plan to do on a gap year? Kent is quite a large drop from Warwick, Kings, UCL and Warwick (they're my insurance, Bristol is my firm and I think I'd take a gap year if I missed my conditional) so you have to decide what you're really want - if you are going to be spending excessive amounts of money on a degree you might as well get your moneys worth.

If you want to work, travel and get some work experience to beef up your personal statement, I think that's quite a good idea. The only worrying thing is taking your LNAT again, it's not really something you can revise so do you think you'll be able to improve on your score?

What did you get at AS? x

Original post by narusku
Not to sound like a prick, but Im going to use you as a subject for a mini rant, if you dont mind. :smile:
Why do TSR people always use these quasi-pep talk/apology posts merely as an oppurtunity to indirectly gloat about their individual achievements( in your case your breathtaking offer from Bristol)...? Now whilst I understand you probably didnt intend that at all Soph, think about it for a moment, button is feeling dejected and you've more or less rubbed dirt in the wound :/
If trying to give helpful advice, which here you havent really because what's explicitly implicit in your post is that you believe Kent uni is not a good one - which is quite untrue, you should refrain from critical opinions...especially when you intend to 'console' a fellow student

TSR is bordering on becoming an agony aunt site, considering that you can no longer be critical about anything. Many people will share the view of Sophie, so it's only right that the poster is aware of some of the prejudices towards Kent. Whilst, it's not good to be overly negative about a situation, there is no point trying to prevent people speaking their mind. Her post doesn't really imply that she believes that Kent's isn't a good university. Most people on TSR are high achievers who are aiming for a place at a top 10 university and not Kent. It's all relative, some people think that anything below the top 10 isn't worth going to which is obviously absurd.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3488
Original post by admbeatmaker
I find it quite humorous that QM have taken this long to do something with your application, and in that time you've got an unconditional offer from King's :eek:

I am however, still waiting on QM. No matter how great York is, QM sits just ahead in my eyes. Fingers crossed I get an offer.

Be warned, a QMUL offer is likely to be at 80% as a girl in my class last year got this offer and failed to meet it.
Original post by tkane
Be warned, a QMUL offer is likely to be at 80% as a girl in my class last year got this offer and failed to meet it.

I don't get what's the meaning of "80%", can you kindly explain it to me?
I am an international student so please forgive my ignorance. lol
Original post by narusku

Woah now.

I wasn't gloating in the slightest. I actually got 16 in my LNAT and have very below par GCSEs, if it wasn't for the lack of applicants to Bristol this year then I'm sure I wouldn't of got in. I'm not 'rubbing dirt in the wound' at all because I know how he feels after myself getting rejected from a good few unis - I don't really understand the glamour in gloating about any offers is all about on TSR - we don't know each other so does it matter?

I wasn't saying that Kent isn't a good law school in the slightest, I applied there after a lot of research into how good it was as an insurance. Saying that, there is no denying that Kent is a slight drop from Oxford and the London Unis, is there? If he/she is applying to top tier universities (I'm talking top 5, looking at their choices), and has the capability of gaining a place there, which I'm sure is achievable with his/her predicted grades, why would they go to Kent if they could just take a gap year and try again next year? Kent is a good law school, yes, but looking at the person's post, they are looking at extremely prestigious universities.

I'm sorry you misunderstood where I was coming from - I didn't mean it in a negative way in the slightest.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3491
Original post by admbeatmaker

Haha, if they'd got back to me 6 weeks ago I'd have given them due consideration; there's definitely arguments to be had for choosing mile end over the strand. By leaving it so long they made it easy for me though.

Original post by ernestchu
I don't get what's the meaning of "80%", can you kindly explain it to me?
I am an international student so please forgive my ignorance. lol

He's referring to the Birbeck Cert HE Legal Methods. It's a fairly common qualification for mature students looking to do a LLB, it wont affect you though :smile:
Original post by tkane

Wow, now that is insane! I think I can certainly punch up to the higher 70s, but 80 may be too far of a push for me. That would be an offer much harder than any other university.

Original post by gtfo
Haha, if they'd got back to me 6 weeks ago I'd have given them due consideration; there's definitely arguments to be had for choosing mile end over the strand. By leaving it so long they made it easy for me though.

Strand vs Mile end is a no brainer.
Woah now.

I wasn't gloating in the slightest. I actually got 16 in my LNAT and have very below par GCSEs, if it wasn't for the lack of applicants to Bristol this year then I'm sure I wouldn't of got in. I'm not 'rubbing dirt in the wound' at all because I know how he feels after myself getting rejected from a good few unis - I don't really understand the glamour in gloating about any offers is all about on TSR - we don't know each other so does it matter?

I wasn't saying that Kent isn't a good law school in the slightest, I applied there after a lot of research into how good it was as an insurance. Saying that, there is no denying that Kent is a slight drop from Oxford and the London Unis, is there? If he/she is applying to top tier universities (I'm talking top 5, looking at their choices), and has the capability of gaining a place there, which I'm sure is achievable with his/her predicted grades, why would they go to Kent if they could just take a gap year and try again next year? Kent is a good law school, yes, but looking at the person's post, they are looking at extremely prestigious universities.

I'm sorry you misunderstood where I was coming from - I didn't mean it in a negative way in the slightest.

lool 16 and i got 17 and bristol rejected me, so it probably wasnt my lnat or gcse's, i wonder what else they thought was crap in my application lol *sigh*
Anybody else get an email from UCL saying they've been stuck in a holding batch for applications to be reconsidered? And so the waiting continues....
Reply 3495
King's Politics/Phil/Law rejection. Looks like I'm staying in Canada.
Reply 3496
Original post by MDS3

:frown:
Original post by MDS3

sorry to hear that.
btw QMUL still haven't replied me
I suppose they won't work on Saturdays so today should be the last day:s-smilie:
Original post by ernestchu
sorry to hear that.
btw QMUL still haven't replied me
I suppose they won't work on Saturdays so today should be the last day:s-smilie:

no news is good news. I got rejected today from QMUL so unless by some miracle I get LSE or UCL it looks as if I'll be choosing between McGill and Reading :/
Reply 3499
I applied for Law with French to Birmingham, Leeds and Nottingham and straight Law LLB at Newcastle. I got offer from Birm, Leeds and Newcastle but got rejected by Notts probably due to my LNAT score :frown:

I know Newcastle is an amazing Uni, but I really wanted to do Law with French and they no longer offer it there. I firmed Birmingham as I don't really want to go to Leeds. However, I'm doing a gap year and I don't know If i should reapply to Notts or not? Advice please!!

Also, apparently Law with French is a BA at Notts but it's an LLB at Birm. Someone please tell me the difference?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending