The Student Room Group

OMG not another Rippetoes blog!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gallium
before i squat, also i do this other movement that i seen in a dave tate video.....its like a really wide stance squat type movement.....you go from side to side extending the opposing leg, can feel it in the adductors( you can do them weighted with chains too)......now and then i do some light foam rolling before squats if i feel any tightness.

Cossack squats?

more then anything for glute activation you just have to be conscious while your squatting. also before you squat do some sumo squats with like 40kilos on the bar....should activate the glutes quite a bit.

I'll try that too.
Original post by Smack
Cossack squats?

I'll try that too.

yeah those although i've been doing them alot wider ( i used be able to do the splits a few years back, can't anymore :frown: )
What are your pbs?

Lot of good work going on it seems!
My PBs are a bit better than what I'm currently doing.
Mixed session tonight.

Squats:

135 x 5/5/5

Definitely quite hard. Still beltless. Form was better tonight so it's obviously going to be harder using a different form that you're not quite used to, utilising more muscle mass overall.

Bench press:

84 x 5/5/5

First set was the hardest. Other than that not exactly excruciating.

Deadlifts:

195 x 1

These were really disappointing. Just couldn't get the bar to leave the floor for a second rep. This defeats my theory that a heeled shoe allows better drive from the floor because tonight I had none. I will also say that the heel height of the Ironworks reduces hamstring and groin tension a bit too much compared to just deadlift slippers, so overall deadlift slippers are better for deadlifting.

Dips:

bodyweight x 8/6/0

Meh.

Stretched and home.
Okay session tonight. Had pretty bad hamstring DOMS - the first time I've ever had it from a session that only included squats and deadlifts.

Squats:

137.5 x 5/5/5

Not too hard. Form better tonight. Still no belt.

Press:

62 x 5/5/5

Got them all this time. Quite hard though. Still no wraps.

Back extensions:

bodyweight x 10/10/10

Chins:

bodyweight x 4/3/3

Meh. Disappointed with these.

Stretched and home.
February's Training Review

Main concern in February was getting squat form fixed and benching properly, and I'm quite happy to say that I've made some very good progress on this. Squatting feels much better now; back is tighter and better arch, plus sitting back better and holding a deeper breath. Bench is no longer bounced and absolutely no question of getting any "help" as there has been no spotter used so far. A spotter seems to distract me slightly, too.

Regarding the deadlift, I now know for sure that flat soled shoes e.g. deadlift slippers are better for me than Ironworks. The slippers allow for better hamstring and groin tension which helps in keeping the back angle constant until it's time to pull back and shove the hips through, and stops it from rounding as well.

Chins haven't done well, though. Also haven't been that consistent, but I'm not going to be until after this term finishes anyway due to the massive volume of work I've got.
Okay session tonight.

Squats:

140 x 5/5/5

Still beltless. Form a bit worse than last time, probably because I'm slightly tight again from not having squatted or done anything physical since Wednesday. Actually really felt it on the warm ups up to 120; first I've ever felt anything like that!

Bench press:

86 x 5/5/5

Second set was the hardest by quite a bit. Happy with this.

Deadlifts:

195 x 2

Not happy with this, but form just hasn't felt right for a while and neither has my grip. A reset will do me a world of good.

Dips:

bodyweight x 8/5

Never had much time with these so only short rest periods.

Some quick stretching and home.
Meh session tonight.

Squats:

142.5 x 5/5/5

Still beltless, and not too hard, although form wasn't quite as perfect as I'd have hoped it to be.

Press:

64 x 5/4/2

First set felt fine. Second set missed last rep because I was out of breath. Third set shoulders just felt fried and couldn't get anything else up. Tried a back off set with 50 but only got 6 reps, shoulders just knackered. I've noticed that a failed rep on the press really seems to fatigue my shoulders for future attempts.

Pendlay rows:

80 x 5
90 x 3.5

Felt quite fatigued on these. Couldn't get the right back position and tightness and stopped after 3 reps on 90 as I was using too much body English.

Some quick stretching and home.
Squats:

145 x 5/5/5

Form a bit worse tonight but got them all.

Bench press:

88 x 5/5/3

First two sets weren't absolute grinders but on the last one totally lost my groove on the fourth rep and missed it. Disappointing.

Deadlifts:

175 x 5

Had to do a reset on these which is why the weight's so low.

Chins:

bodyweight x 5/5/2/3.5

Some stretching and home.
Left elbow feeling really bad all week so took Wednesday off and decided to front squat tonight instead of proper squats as many feel them easier on the elbows.

Front squats:

90 x 1
100 x 1
110 x 1
120 x 1
125 x 1
130 x 1

Massive PR on these. Felt really easy on the legs, by far the hardest part was supporting that much weight on my front shoulders. Really struggled with that actually.

And these also destroyed my elbows, which wasn't what I was hoping for. But a PR is always nice - especially when it's an exercise you only do a few times per year.

Press:

64 x 2

As said above, my left elbow was really jacked up so didn't get many on these before I had to call it a day.

Pendlay rows:

80 x 5/5/5

Not too hard. Haven't done these in a while and they target my weak points so going to start doing them and hopefully get to over 100 in not too long.

Need to do more biceps curls and maybe brachialis work too. My elbow pains have always came when I've not been doing my curls.
nice FS. How does it hurt your elbows? It gets my wrists sometimes if I forward lean on limit... but thats about it.
I don't know, unfortunately. I think that rather than hurting it, it exasperated existing problems.
Quick one tonight. Very busy for the next ~2 months so might have to have lots of these kind of quick sessions. But they're a fine change and I might even manage to average more than thrice a week with them too.

Push press:

worked up to 95 x 1
80 x 3

PR, bodyweight overhead. Back off was quite hard though.

Dips:

bodyweight x 6/5/5

Done very deep and after some hard push pressing so meh.

Curls:

30 x 10/10/10

Haven't done these in ages, but really need to start doing them.
Original post by Smack
Quick one tonight. Very busy for the next ~2 months so might have to have lots of these kind of quick sessions. But they're a fine change and I might even manage to average more than thrice a week with them too.

Push press:

worked up to 95 x 1
80 x 3

PR, bodyweight overhead. Back off was quite hard though.

Dips:

bodyweight x 6/5/5

Done very deep and after some hard push pressing so meh.

Curls:

30 x 10/10/10

Haven't done these in ages, but really need to start doing them.

30 on a barbell? i tried curls for the first time today just about got 12.5s for sets of 8

gratz on bodyweight pushpress
Yes, barbell curls, it appears I forgot to write that though. I don't do curls much which explains the low weight.
Well done on the bodyweight push press. Good achievement.
Really poor session tonight. After almost two weeks off of squatting my low back, hamstrings and glutes seem to have ceased up. Absolutely nothing was tight tonight when squatting.

Squats:

worked up to 160

RDLs:

70 x 5/5

Meh. Went home.
Worthwhile session tonight.

Squats:

170 x 4

PR. Felt really hard, though; definitely didn't have another in me. Tried to do a back-off set after with 120 and only got a few reps before my back said no.

Bench:

90 x 1
95 x f

Meh. Not benched in a while. Elbows also felt really weird on many of my warm-ups too - unracking felt really weak and even went backwards rather than forwards a couple of times. On the 95 attempt the descent was far, far too fast and I lost my tightness, and, again, elbow wasn't right.

Pendlay rows:

82.5 x 5/5/5

Okay.

Did some reverse curls because I've heard they're good at fixing elbows, then some stretching and went home.
Would you say the heavy squats weakened your bench for today?

Quick Reply

Latest