The Student Room Group

MA in Publishing at UCL - HELP!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 700
Original post by icfan
Three weeks ago?! Wow, when did you submit your application?

Oh, and I do not think that the delay would cause any problem. Why do not you try to explain to them the situation?

*two weeks ago, sorry. Submitted on February 19, received an answer on March 14.

I sent an email, hope they'll answer soon (and if they don't, I guess it means everything is fine). I'm not excessively worried, since the offer says nothing about timing, but I prefer to make things clear.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 701
hey everyone, i am through the Master's course in Environment and Sustainable Development at the Bartlett.
Is anyone here applying for the course or has studied the course there?
I am thoroughly confused if i should pick UCL as Edinburgh is ranked third right after cambridge and oxford for Environmental studies.which one will have better job prospects?
Also, i would like opinions on lancaster and bristol for similar courses.
Reply 702
Original post by chan_chowder
I'm assuming it varies from department to department but how was the deferral process and what did it consist of? Did they say that you would have to reapply or were they pretty accommodating about it? I am debating whether I would want to defer but I'm still waiting on the official acceptance letter from the Admissions Office (department recommended me for admission)

I think it varies from department to department. I emailed to say that I was interested in deferring, and to ask how likely it would be. They told me that they usually only allow deferrals for medical reasons, but if I could provide proof that I'd definitely be taking up my place this year they'd consider it, so I emailed them a copy of my USA work visa which expires in September, to show that I'd have to move back the UK at that point. They took that as evidence that I'd be taking up my place. I didn't have to reapply at all. The course coordinator got in touch with the head of school, and they both approved the deferral and sent me an updated offer letter a few weeks later. Hope that helps!
Reply 703
Original post by mb6
Received an offer for Cognitive Neuroscience MSc about three weeks ago, now I'm working on the additional documents necessary to enter the MRes. Wish me good luck!

Anyway, in the application I (and my supervisor) stated I was going to take my degree by the end of April, but due to bureaucratical issues I had to delay it to July. Conditional offer says I should provide my degree certificate "as soon as you are able to". I've already informed the admission tutor, of course. Do you think the delay may constitute a problem?

[ NOTE: July is not a late session in my university and I'm getting my three-years bachelor degree in two years (and this is what messed up bureaucracy), so the problem is mainly the discrepancy between expected and actual date. ]

I got the email about being eligible to apply for the MRes too. I thought about it, but I eventually want to go into clinical psychology, and while research is an important skill, I think I'd rather stick with the MSc because of the broader knowledge base it'll give, and I already have research experience as an RA in a psych lab, so hopefully that'll be enough! Out of interest, is the tuition fee the same for the MRes as it is for the MSc?

Good luck with your applications! I can't see the July thing being a problem at all.
Reply 704
Original post by ClaireyG
I got the email about being eligible to apply for the MRes too. I thought about it, but I eventually want to go into clinical psychology, and while research is an important skill, I think I'd rather stick with the MSc because of the broader knowledge base it'll give, and I already have research experience as an RA in a psych lab, so hopefully that'll be enough! Out of interest, is the tuition fee the same for the MRes as it is for the MSc?

Good luck with your applications! I can't see the July thing being a problem at all.

According to the general prospectus (the only we have for the MRes so far) the fee is exactly the same.

I have no research experience and my (academic) goal is to pursue a career in Neuroscience or Cognitive Neuroscience with a PhD, so I guess the MRes could be a good chance; however, I haven't finished my MRes "application" yet, and if I don't find a research topic I am already sure I want to stick to for a long, demanding year I am not sure I am going to choose the MRes.

In any case, thanks and see you next year! Can't wait to start >.<
Reply 705
I'm in :biggrin: !!!!!!!!.......Msc in Economics......very happy :tongue:
Reply 706
Original post by mb6
According to the general prospectus (the only we have for the MRes so far) the fee is exactly the same.

I have no research experience and my (academic) goal is to pursue a career in Neuroscience or Cognitive Neuroscience with a PhD, so I guess the MRes could be a good chance; however, I haven't finished my MRes "application" yet, and if I don't find a research topic I am already sure I want to stick to for a long, demanding year I am not sure I am going to choose the MRes.

In any case, thanks and see you next year! Can't wait to start >.<

Hmm, if the fees are the same that makes me even more tempted to stick with the MSc, I'd rather pay to get tuition from the experts in the field than pay the same to do my own research if that makes sense? You're right though, if you're going to be researching for a year, it should be something you enjoy, otherwise it'll be no fun at all. Best of luck with the MRes application though, let me know how you get on!

I'm also super excited to start! Will be great being back studying, I've actually really missed it. Nearer the time (probably the start of September) I might try and organise a Cognitive Neuroscience meet up somewhere on campus maybe. Might be nice to meet people before we all start? I'll keep everyone updated, hopefully we can find a few more new neuroscientists on here! :smile:
Reply 707
Original post by Econla

Congrats:smile::smile::smile:!!!!!! How did you find out..
email or portico??
Reply 708
Original post by Econla

Congratulation.
Reply 709
Original post by Lalafell
Congratulation.

Thank you Lalafell, are you waiting for decision or you already have news?
Reply 710
Original post by cmk
Congrats:smile::smile::smile:!!!!!! How did you find out..
email or portico??

Yesterday I was boring and I checked portico and there it was......2 hours later they sent me an email to check portico because there was an update on the status of my application.

What about you?
Reply 711
Original post by Econla
Yesterday I was boring

:cute:

Are you interesting today? :wink:
Reply 712
Original post by Econla
Thank you Lalafell, are you waiting for decision or you already have news?

I have multiple offers. But I am not heading to Ucl as I am leaving there.
Reply 713
Original post by Econla
Yesterday I was boring and I checked portico and there it was......2 hours later they sent me an email to check portico because there was an update on the status of my application.

What about you?

I haven t heard back yet :frown:
Reply 714
Original post by Lalafell
I have multiple offers. But I am not heading to Ucl as I am leaving there.

Are you now in the Msc or undergraduate?
Reply 715
Original post by sj27
:cute:

Are you interesting today? :wink:

wow!! sorry, I was bored :colondollar:.......I think I still have to improve my english :colondollar:

But regarding your question, I am having a good time now :u:

Cheers
Reply 716
Original post by Econla
Are you now in the Msc or undergraduate?

Under. Heading to Oxbridge for my MPhil.
Reply 717
Well, good luck and let us know which one you choose :wink:
Reply 718
Anyone applied for the DTP at CMIC ?
Reply 719
At last! M.Sc. cognitive neuroscience offer :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending