The Student Room Group

What are the ACTUAL (side) effects of smoking cannabis?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Antiaris
Recent research has shown it is worse for your lungs than tobacco, even with the same filters. The mental issues associated are actually dependent on the strain. Heard of skunk? It's cannabis genetically altered to have more pcp. That stuff causes paranoia, schizophrenia, etc. The normal stuff has long term effects such as over-relaxation, derealisation and eye damage.

If caught with it it won't tend to affect your chances unless you want to work in any form of medicine. They won't let you in on any of the courses.

Sorry for no short term effects.Never tried it, just saying what I learned on pharmacy.

:rofl:

You learnt that where???

I would like to see the research that has shown it is worse for your lungs than tobacco. Or anything showing it causes schizophrenia. over-relaxation? :rofl:. Eye damage?? thats a new one on me.

Skunk is a strain of cannabis, a hybrid of landraces. The word has been taken up to mean any strong cannabis and later by the likes of the Daily Mail to spread their puritanical bull**** propoganda. There is no genetic engineering involved. There is little evidence that THC causes mental issues other than for those already suffering. There is a lot of evidence however that CBD is a very useful antipychotic so certain strains may help some sufferers. Caffine can cause psychosis as can alcohol, nicotine has a similar link to psychosis as cannabis.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 41
http://drkisling.com/2010/03/01/macular-degeneration-medical-marijuana/
Original post by n00

You learnt that where???

I would like to see the research that has shown it is worse for your lungs than tobacco. Or anything showing it causes schizophrenia. over-relaxation? :rofl:. Eye damage?? thats a new one on me.

Skunk is a strain of cannabis, a hybrid of landraces. The word has been taken up to mean any strong cannabis and later by the likes of the Daily Mail to spread their puritanical bull**** propoganda. There is no genetic engineering involved. There is little evidence that THC causes mental issues other than for those already suffering. There is a lot of evidence however that CBD is a very useful antipychotic so certain strains may help some sufferers. Caffine can cause psychosis as can alcohol, nicotine has a similar link to psychosis as cannabis.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2419713.stm

University of east anglia, pharmacy. Sadly I was only there for the first term on health grounds, but we did manage a lecture on illegal drugs in that time. Please, use google if you want to disrefute my claims as my laptop has died and I'm posting from a phone so linking is difficult. More links to come.

EDIT Sorry for links all over the place, not good with this phone. Also, I do apologise, got mixed between psychosis and schizophrenia, both portray fairly similarly from an outsiders petspective.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 42

More carcinogens doesn't necessarily mean more harmfull, this is the case with cannabis. Light - moderate cannabis use is not linked to an increased risk of lung cancer infact its linked to a decreased risk of lung cancer. Heavy use is but still far less so than tobacco use.
Reply 43
Original post by n00
More carcinogens doesn't necessarily mean more harmfull, this is the case with cannabis. Light - moderate cannabis use is not linked to an increased risk of lung cancer infact its linked to a decreased risk of lung cancer. Heavy use is but still far less so than tobacco use.

Proof?

The actual article quotes 3 joints as worse than 20 cigarettes. It was even recently reported on in newspapers. GASP. The dreaded daily mail.

I am sorry, I am snapping. Its just getting to me now how peoe seem to not accept things just because they don't like it source on a personal level. I have heard people proclaim everything by the daily mail is false. Not so. The fact that its stories lean to the right does not mean that their impartial factually driven articles are any less concise.

This isn't an attack on you Mr/Miss n00, you seem unbiased, logical and concise, but on every dogmatic, arrogant nitiwit who denies things simply because they don't like them.
Reply 44
Proof?

The actual article quotes 3 joints as worse than 20 cigarettes. It was even recently reported on in newspapers. GASP. The dreaded daily mail.

I am sorry, I am snapping. Its just getting to me now how peoe seem to not accept things just because they don't like it source on a personal level. I have heard people proclaim everything by the daily mail is false. Not so. The fact that its stories lean to the right does not mean that their impartial factually driven articles are any less concise.

This isn't an attack on you Mr/Miss n00, you seem unbiased, logical and concise, but on every dogmatic, arrogant nitiwit who denies things simply because they don't like them.

np, i hope i didnt come across as being snappy or attacking you either, although i probably was a bit. Seen these studies(3 joints worse than 20 cigarettes, cannabis links to schizophrenia) posted over and over again and they just dont back up the claims being made.

http://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20120103/marijuana-smoking-not-linked_to-chronic-breathing-problems

http://www.ersj.org.uk/content/31/2/280.full
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by n00
np, i hope i didnt come across as being snappy or attacking you either, although i probably was a bit. Seen these studies(3 joints worse than 20 cigarettes, cannabis links to schizophrenia) posted over and over again and they just dont back up the claims being made.

http://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20120103/marijuana-smoking-not-linked_to-chronic-breathing-problems

http://www.ersj.org.uk/content/31/2/280.full

Don't worry, you were quite open minded. The rant was pretty much the rant I've been holdling too long. I've had friends who chastise the daily mail like no tomorrow, but don't actually read newspapers. >__>

Sorry to ask, but what are the links pertaining? The first is about lung capacity, and on page 2 & 3 explain that it might be HOW joints are smoked that is the reason (big puffs, holding in, lung exercise) and the second link then explains marujana increasing risk of lung cancer which I thought was the point of debate?

Anyways, just so that I can get this off my chest, personally I believe marujana should be legalised for the simple reason that the war on drugs does more damage than the drugs themselves. As long as people understand the risks, let them do what they will.
Reply 46
Don't worry, you were quite open minded. The rant was pretty much the rant I've been holdling too long. I've had friends who chastise the daily mail like no tomorrow, but don't actually read newspapers. >__>

Sorry to ask, but what are the links pertaining? The first is about lung capacity, and on page 2 & 3 explain that it might be HOW joints are smoked that is the reason (big puffs, holding in, lung exercise) and the second link then explains marujana increasing risk of lung cancer which I thought was the point of debate?

Anyways, just so that I can get this off my chest, personally I believe marujana should be legalised for the simple reason that the war on drugs does more damage than the drugs themselves. As long as people understand the risks, let them do what they will.

Yes the second link is trying to push the negatives by making some pretty massive and strange assumptions. If you look at the figures though you will see they show that only the heaviest cannabis users tertile have an increased rate of lung cancer but still lower than the ever smoked tobacco group.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 47
Except the numbers you would have to compare would the the third tertile the the cannabis group and the third quintile in the smokers group. The numbers are close, with the marujana smokers still with the lower incidence of lung cancer, but then consider the fact that the are comparing number of PACKS compared to number of joints, not individual cigarettes. That instantly shoots the marujana users up in a smoke to smoke ratio.

Also jesus, its difficult posting on a phone.
Hungry, happy, sleepy.
Reply 49
First, im ex.

Second, cannabinoids. Sorry. XD

Getting mixed up with my illegal supbstances. I could explain how the drug works to make up for it?

No it's ok I'll let you off :tongue:
Original post by n00

You learnt that where???

No genetic engineering?

Blueberry Haze
Blueberry Cheese
Lemon Haze
Amnesia Haze
All of this are cross strains, so two differant types of pot engineered together in a lab.

Earlier in the thread I mentioned my stoner but succesful friends. All they smoked was 'Skunk', and none of them have eye problems.

The individual can limit the damage it does to you by moderating. Getting Lazy and doing nothing with your life? Then a joint when you wake up won't help you.

The thing is drugs effect people diferantly. One of my former friends didnt smoke on work nights because he had issues waking up in the morning. Another one could had 5 joints and still wake up at 6 to hit the gym in the morning.

To the person that said that being sick through smoking too much is false. Its universally known as pulling a whitie.

As much as stoners hate to admit it, smoking pot can have negatives. But then again so does drinking, eating chocolate, watching too much T.V, eating red meat.

Conclusion; if you moderate yourself, it is no more harmful then alcohol.
Reply 51
Except the numbers you would have to compare would the the third tertile the the cannabis group and the third quintile in the smokers group. The numbers are close, with the marujana smokers still with the lower incidence of lung cancer, but then consider the fact that the are comparing number of PACKS compared to number of joints, not individual cigarettes. That instantly shoots the marujana users up in a smoke to smoke ratio.

Also jesus, its difficult posting on a phone.

Yep its not a great study, the sample size is very small as well but it is one thats regulaly used by prohibitionists as there is a distinct lack of studies showing a link between cannabis use and lung cancer.
Reply 52
Original post by Ben_LiveYourDreams
No genetic engineering?

Blueberry Haze
Blueberry Cheese
Lemon Haze
Amnesia Haze
All of this are cross strains, so two differant types of pot engineered together in a lab.

:facepalm2: That doesn't require genetic engineering or a lab. Different strains will happily cross pollinate each other naturally.
Personally, I've had the best and worst days of my life smoking it! Best day of my life I was giggling for HOURS, was hilarious but the last time I smoked it I experienced the worst anxiety/panic I have ever felt and near enough nearly committed suicide because of it. Half a year later down the line I'm still suffering the anxiety/type o-ocd/derealistation/depersonalisation disorders as a result. Can quite comfortably say these have been the worst months of my life. Obviously this doesn't happen to everyone but I think people should be aware of what can happen! Overall don't think the negatives really outweight the positives but hey each to their own!
Original post by Ree69
What would be the the short-term effects of someone smoking cannabis? (Please don't say feeling stoned)

And...more than that, what would be the long-term effects of someone smoking it regularly? (i.e., once or twice a week?)

Short term are the same from most drugs eg. panic attacks.

As for long term, it can bring on paranoia, and all drugs if used heavily will cause some sort of brain damage due to your brain trying to adapt to the high presence of THC.
I think the long term side effects are due to overuse of cannabis, if you're smoking it everyday then you're bound to see negative side effects, but that's the same with anything. I've never found myself wanting to smoke it anymore than I've wanted an alcoholic drink - I'll take it if it's there but that's probably due to the taboo nature of it.

I've come to the conclusion that weed is generally safer, or at least as safe as alcohol. I've done nothing regrettable when high other than eating a massive takeaway and tonnes of sweets.
Original post by n00
:facepalm2: That doesn't require genetic engineering or a lab. Different strains will happily cross pollinate each other naturally.

It may not require it, however, as far as I'm aware genetically engineering is common place with companies that create and market seeds, and is the reason that most seeds are patented. To successfully cross pollenate seeds, there is a high degree of luck and skill involved. Buying seeds of a website does not require either.

I do think there is a degree of nievity within smoking circles, in regards to it being a natural drugs, when it is often grown in artifical conditions, using fertilisers, and seeds that are created in labs.

There was a statistic somewhere saying that 90% of pot consumed in the U.K was grown in the U.K. And to grow pot in the U.K, you often need to produce it in artificial conditions.
Reply 57
Original post by Ben_LiveYourDreams
It may not require it, however, as far as I'm aware genetically engineering is common place with companies that create and market seeds, and is the reason that most seeds are patented. To successfully cross pollenate seeds, there is a high degree of luck and skill involved. Buying seeds of a website does not require either.

I do think there is a degree of nievity within smoking circles, in regards to it being a natural drugs, when it is often grown in artifical conditions, using fertilisers, and seeds that are created in labs.

There was a statistic somewhere saying that 90% of pot consumed in the U.K was grown in the U.K. And to grow pot in the U.K, you often need to produce it in artificial conditions.

:wtf:

Genetically engineering is certainly not common place for cannabis breeders, ive never heard of a genetically engineered strain of cannabis, nor is patenting and theres very little luck involved, other than very occasionally someone finding an amazing plant out of some random bagseed.

I can't say im at all bothered whether its natural or not, it seems totally irrelevant to how it benefits me or any health implications. Plants use a specific spectrum of light whether it be from the sun or a light bulb. Using a bulb doesn't suddenly mutate plants into killers. All plants need nutrients how the **** do you expect them to grow? Many cannabis growers use 100% organic soil and nutrients but the chemicals are pretty much the same as those in none organic ferts.

Do you eat only 100% organic food? Do you not have light bulbs in your house? Honestly i don't think i have ever come across such a confused and naive argument against cannabis.
Original post by n00
:wtf:

Genetically engineering is certainly not common place for cannabis breeders, ive never heard of a genetically engineered strain of cannabis, nor is patenting and theres very little luck involved, other than very occasionally someone finding an amazing plant out of some random bagseed.

I can't say im at all bothered whether its natural or not, it seems totally irrelevant to how it benefits me or any health implications. Plants use a specific spectrum of light whether it be from the sun or a light bulb. Using a bulb doesn't suddenly mutate plants into killers. All plants need nutrients how the **** do you expect them to grow? Many cannabis growers use 100% organic soil and nutrients but the chemicals are pretty much the same as those in none organic ferts.

Do you eat only 100% organic food? Do you not have light bulbs in your house? Honestly i don't think i have ever come across such a confused and naive argument against cannabis.

I was not argueing against canibus.
I'm pro choice, and my posts in this thread have reflected that.

You argued that skunk was not genetically engineered, when in some cases it is.

I pointed out hybrid strains that in some cases have been engineered to increase strength.

Whether GM is good or bad, is abit off topic, and as I said in previous posts, some of my best friends, who are successful smoke on a regular basis. Infact, they also only smoke the top of the range stuff, and at some points in their lives, have been very heavy users.

They also made me aware of the processes involved. I've met people from all walks of life, who's done this or that, and some have had varying levels of involvement in the process in a range of countries.

You wanted a rant against 'The Sun' esque views that superskunk is Genetically Modified thus evil.

And I wanted to point out that in some cases it is Genetically Modified, and the reason I did that because I feel that there is such nievity within smoking circles, as I previously mentioned.

However, I am an extreme liberal, and as much as my friends smoked pot, they occassionally did other things; Cocaine, MDMA/MDA, Amphetemines, Ketemin, 2cb/2ce. To me; everything should be legalised, and people should make an educated (with easy access to non bias opinions) choice as to whether they partake or not.

I've been in arguements with 'smoking pot is fine because it's natural and taking mdma isn't fine because its chemically made'. Hence the discussion here.

Pot smokers have this habit of getting defensive, and stating all the good points, and forgetting the negatives.

Smoking 'Super Silver Haze' (one of my friends fav, because he saw it as being stronger then anything else) constanty, can, and often will have serious side effects.

My friends (all mid 20's), all understand this concept.

But then again, booze, smoking (personally, I smoke a fair amount of cigs), eating unhealthy foods, not exercising... These all can have serious side effects too.

Life is all about balance.
Reply 59
Met plenty of people dependant on it that just lay about smoking it denying they have a problem, and I've met quite a few droners in my time for comparison. People come reliant on it and considering there are no laws or regulations surrounding drugs, they turn people into this dirty little scummy gremlins that either steal, do whatever they can get away with to benefit themself and their 'habit'....also become horrifically unreliable and basically end up living a horrible life still under the impression that they can stop anytime they want. Such a waste, then there are dumbasses that were dumb before and after weed, so go figure. That is drugs in general, cannabis is no exception just because it is 'just a plant'.

Plenty end up like this. Then again some don't, but I'll be honest, I have never met an honest, pleasant, trustworthy or long term likable person that uses Class A or even Class C substances, their real passion is the habit or addiction and everyone else is just an accessory be that cocaine or weed or even alcohol. That's the truth kids, deal with it. Met chicks that ended up dealing for their ''boyfriends'' at university, if you were to look at the relationship it was basically slave labour and she gave him sex in return for a supply of high grade gange, no ****ing joke. Saw bruises on her recently, make your own decisions. Still thinks she is in a 'relationship' and he would probably agree. Good old working class family in the making there. The only friends I know that they hang out with are people that take the drugs they are dealing, you can bet your ass they don't leave them alone with the stash alone.

Inb4 hurr durr its not addictive.

Smoke myself, can get through an 1/8th in a week and feel like **** for a month after, then again a heavy night of alcohol can alter my mood for the following weeks and it affects my studies greatly.

I only pickup about 3 times a year now. But I know I know, there is some stoner going to put down the facts I've seen because they are living a lavish lifestyle in a massive mansion running a FTSE company and smoked 3g every day...
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest