The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The Edinburgh FAQ and 'Ask a Student' thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by AcesLacy
I've just received my offer to study applied linguistics at Edinburgh and was wondering if anyone has some information on the department that might be helpful to an international student, e.g. what's the atmosphere like? are there a lot of international students? are there classes that MA students and BA students take together? Thank you

Hello! Sorry but I can only answer one question, I'm a prospective student myself and when I went to my course talk, they said 25% of whole student population is international :smile:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Hi
I currently have an offer for chemistry with a year in europe (F102). However at Edinburgh it's only possible to study a language with chemistry in the first two years which means that for a year before i go to europe, i won't be studying the language. I'm worried that this would not give me a good enough grasp of the language. Does anyone know what the situation is actually like?
Thank you
Reply 182
Original post by magenta1
Hello! Sorry but I can only answer one question, I'm a prospective student myself and when I went to my course talk, they said 25% of whole student population is international :smile:

thank you!
Reply 183
No problem as I was wondering this myself :smile: Btw is Edinburgh your first choice? Where else did you apply to?
I have a problem and I thought that you "Edinburgh People" can help me.
So basically a week ago I made this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1948705&p=36796489
I'll quote my first post
I'm interested in applying to Edinburgh for Veterinary Medicine.
They require 5 scottish Highers at AAABB and 2 Adv. Highers at BB
But...
On their website I found an information saying...
"All grades must be obtained in one sitting and at the first attempt."
Does it mean that I have to sit all 5 highers in one year?
Wouldn't they condsider me if I'd do 4 highers in S5 and then 1 higher + 2 adv. Highers in S6??

So the problem is that a bunch of people (Including people from TSR, My maths teacher, head of the maths department and Deputy Head Teacher of my school) is telling me that they will consider me but I can't take any resits.

But then there's one other person from TSR and one person from Edinburgh Uni who are telling me otherwise. That's the e-mail I've receiver from Edi Uni

Thank you for your email.

You would need to take the 5 Highers in the one year otherwise you would not meet the minimum entry requirements I am afraid.

Kind Regards

Victoria Doggett

I'm like totally confused and worried.
I've told my maths teacher about the email and she said that she talked to the deputy head teacher and that she won't let me do Higher Maths in S5. She also told me that I can try and speak to the deputy by myself, explain the case and maybe she'll agree. But before I do that I thought that I'll ask you, people who are familiar with Edinburgh Requirements, what do you think about it?

So what do you think? will they consider me or not?
Edinburgh is my 1st choice and I'll do anything to apply there :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
5 Highers in S5 or nothing. What the university says, goes.

When they do/did accept Highers over two years, the requirement was usually bumped up from 4 to 6 (with higher grades). Quite possible in the case of Vet Med that they won't even accept that - they simply have too many other good applicants to consider. Especially when they're already asking for 2 Adv Highers in 6th year too.

Get back on to your school (and get your parents on their case too) with the letter. They either let you do 5 Highers or Edinburgh won't consider you.
Original post by Nessie162
I have a problem and I thought that you "Edinburgh People" can help me.
So basically a week ago I made this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1948705&p=36796489
I'll quote my first post

So the problem is that a bunch of people (Including people from TSR, My maths teacher, head of the maths department and Deputy Head Teacher of my school) is telling me that they will consider me but I can't take any resits.

But then there's one other person from TSR and one person from Edinburgh Uni who are telling me otherwise. That's the e-mail I've receiver from Edi Uni

I'm like totally confused and worried.
I've told my maths teacher about the email and she said that she talked to the deputy head teacher and that she won't let me do Higher Maths in S5. She also told me that I can try and speak to the deputy by myself, explain the case and maybe she'll agree. But before I do that I thought that I'll ask you, people who are familiar with Edinburgh Requirements, what do you think about it?

So what do you think? will they consider me or not?
Edinburgh is my 1st choice and I'll do anything to apply there :wink:
Nobody is more familiar with Edinburgh requirements than they are themselves, I'm afraid. They mean what they say. Anyone on here who tells you otherwise isn't speaking with the same authority as Victoria Doggett.
hiya there! i just firmed my offer for the d100 vet med course at edinburgh and i've received the acceptance email from them via euclid. however there's one part of the email that i don't really understand, it says:

If you have not already done so, please ensure you send us copies of certificates of all your earlier qualifications for verification. Please note that we cannot accept provisional statements of results instead of final certificates or qualifications. As soon as we have checked these earlier qualifications, you have met the conditions of your offer and any outstanding clearance checks, and the status of your application becomes 'Unconditional Firm', we can give you access to vital joining information.

so am i supposed to send my gcse certificates to them? o__O i'm a new undergrad/currently in year 13 if that makes any difference :smile:
Reply 188
Original post by dizzeedollee
hiya there! i just firmed my offer for the d100 vet med course at edinburgh and i've received the acceptance email from them via euclid. however there's one part of the email that i don't really understand, it says:

so am i supposed to send my gcse certificates to them? o__O i'm a new undergrad/currently in year 13 if that makes any difference :smile:

I have the same question, I received exactly that when I firmed Edinburgh, too. I still don't know what 'qualifications' they're referring to, hopefully just GCSE but what if they mean every single little thing on your transcript like piano exam certificates/ art certificates/ competitions, etc? Because I've lost most of those :frown:
Reply 189
Original post by dizzeedollee

Original post by saachi
I have the same question, I received exactly that when I firmed Edinburgh, too. I still don't know what 'qualifications' they're referring to, hopefully just GCSE but what if they mean every single little thing on your transcript like piano exam certificates/ art certificates/ competitions, etc? Because I've lost most of those :frown:

You need to send them copies of whatever you mentioned in the qualifications section on your UCAS form. So yes, your GCSE grades then anything else you mentioned having a qualification in on your UCAS form - so things like key skills, BTECs, music qualifications etc. If you have your AS level certificates also send copies of them but they will know that some schools don't issue them until the end of A2 so don't worry if you don't have them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 190
Original post by cathkidston
Hi
I currently have an offer for chemistry with a year in europe (F102). However at Edinburgh it's only possible to study a language with chemistry in the first two years which means that for a year before i go to europe, i won't be studying the language. I'm worried that this would not give me a good enough grasp of the language. Does anyone know what the situation is actually like?
Thank you

Well everyone else who goes on a year abroad manages perfectly fine with two years of study then going abroad for their third year, so I don't see why you would be disadvantaged in anyway as you're in the exact same position as everyone else in the university (and at university generally, the vast majority of universities do years abroad in Y3).
Reply 191
Am i right or wrong in thinking that first year medical students get most of their teaching around the central area?

I'm looking at accomodation and would like an idea of roughly where (location-wise) i would be best looking at :smile:

Thanks, Heather...x
Original post by oxymoronic
Well everyone else who goes on a year abroad manages perfectly fine with two years of study then going abroad for their third year, so I don't see why you would be disadvantaged in anyway as you're in the exact same position as everyone else in the university (and at university generally, the vast majority of universities do years abroad in Y3).

It depends: if they're actually signed up to the official MChem with YA (http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/11-12/dpt/utcmyra.htm) then there is no language tuition in third year despite the YA being in fourth year. Personally, I would suggest using the various language learning provisions in the university whilst bearing in mind that inevitably, any exchange in Chemistry will probably be primarily in English, in one shape or another.
Reply 193
Original post by HeatherM
Am i right or wrong in thinking that first year medical students get most of their teaching around the central area?

I'm looking at accomodation and would like an idea of roughly where (location-wise) i would be best looking at :smile:

Thanks, Heather...x

As far as I'm aware, yeah. You should mostly be central but even if you aren't worst case scenario is the free bus
Reply 194
Original post by BKS
As far as I'm aware, yeah. You should mostly be central but even if you aren't worst case scenario is the free bus

In that case, no problem!! Thank you so much :smile:
Original post by oxymoronic

Thank you! However at edinburgh it's 3 years before the year abroad (which is in 4th year) which is why I'm a bit worried!
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
It depends: if they're actually signed up to the official MChem with YA (http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/11-12/dpt/utcmyra.htm) then there is no language tuition in third year despite the YA being in fourth year. Personally, I would suggest using the various language learning provisions in the university whilst bearing in mind that inevitably, any exchange in Chemistry will probably be primarily in English, in one shape or another.

So would I be able to carry on using the language provisions even if I don't have any timetabled time with languages? That sounds like it would be a good solution. Thank you!
Original post by cathkidston
So would I be able to carry on using the language provisions even if I don't have any timetabled time with languages? That sounds like it would be a good solution. Thank you!

Well there would be nothing preventing you from auditing a language course (if you had time), but you can also use evening classes, use the language lab, use tandem, etc.

Like I said, there's a good chance that some of your learning abroad wouldn't even be in the local language. Chemistry has an exchange with the University of Amsterdam - I suspect Chemistry teaching there is probably done in English. Besides, we don't have Dutch at the University of Edinburgh.

cathkidston
Thank you! However at edinburgh it's 3 years before the year abroad (which is in 4th year) which is why I'm a bit worried!

It's actually a very unusual situation - the vast majority of degrees are 4 years, not 5. And the year abroad typically happens in the third year, even when degrees are five years long in some places (St Andrews is a case in point).
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Well there would be nothing preventing you from auditing a language course (if you had time), but you can also use evening classes, use the language lab, use tandem, etc.

Like I said, there's a good chance that some of your learning abroad wouldn't even be in the local language. Chemistry has an exchange with the University of Amsterdam - I suspect Chemistry teaching there is probably done in English. Besides, we don't have Dutch at the University of Edinburgh.

It's actually a very unusual situation - the vast majority of degrees are 4 years, not 5. And the year abroad typically happens in the third year, even when degrees are five years long in some places (St Andrews is a case in point).

Thanks, it's really helpful to know I'll still be able to use the facilities :smile: Are evening classes free within the university or are they private?
Is the year abroad definitely in 3rd year at st andrews? I've just been trying to find out but I can't seem to find the information anywhere!!
Thank you :smile:
Reply 199
I think theres something on the entry requirements about they will consider you if you get 4As at higher in 5th year but can't get an another higher at A due to "extreme cirumstances" like school policy or something but from what you posted, it sounds more like that the school would like you to do Int 2 maths instead of higher. Correct me if im wrong by the way. An idea would be if your school will not let you do higher maths, pick another higher that they will let you do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending